After 15 years I am getting back into playing. Long since sold all my old gear so I am starting over. Have a guitar I like, multi effects pedals (yeah yeah, it works for now, I will invest later if I really get back into playing) but am needing an amp. Not looking to break the bank and after some research and talking to a guy a the local guitar store, I picked up a Fender Mustang I. What a piece of junk. The Squier SP-10 in my kids starter pack has a better sound with a simple clean/distortion setup. Is it possible to pick up a decent, simple amp for cheap, or is every cheap amp one of these modeling amps?

Was trying to keep the budget low, but will move it to $150-$200 if necessary to get something better than this awful thing sitting in my floor. This will most likely be for home/practice only, as the only "gig" I would ever do is church and it would be mic'd or the multi effects into the PA. Would prefer new. Genre? If it's music and has a guitar, I like it and try to play it.

Agile AL-2000
Digitech RP-90 (hush)
amp???

Thanks for any help...
Tube amps to consider
Bugera 5W
Blackstar HT-1R $239
VHT Special 6

Solid state
Orange Crush series
Roland Cubes
Peavey Envoy

I would stay away from Spyder or Vypers
Get a Vyper if you are looking for a modeling amp though
If it is just for practice and stuff I would get the Blackstar and you can hook it up
to a cab.
there are plenty of choices I think Musicians Friend or Guitar Center have great search options to narrow it down for you.
peace
Try to get an amp that you appreciate without the RP pedal those things are useless. There you go, let the bashing begin. lol I have a RP 255, wanna buy it?
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
Tube amps to consider
Bugera 5W
Blackstar HT-1R $239
VHT Special 6

Solid state
Orange Crush series
Roland Cubes
Peavey Envoy

I would stay away from Spyder or Vypers
Get a Vyper if you are looking for a modeling amp though
If it is just for practice and stuff I would get the Blackstar and you can hook it up
to a cab.
there are plenty of choices I think Musicians Friend or Guitar Center have great search options to narrow it down for you.
peace

This makes me want a soda.
If you want something cheap and simple with good bedroom tone, check out the Epiphone Valve Jr. I'm quite content with mine and they go used for bout $100
Quote by Marrowoflife

I don't think there's a better value out there right now. You can get more features for the same price, but you won't find as much tone.

My JCA2112RC (combo of JCA20H) takes pedals like a champ too... I get everything from blues to that super high-gain spongy the-strings-seem-to-start-playing-themselves-before-I-hit-them feeling (with an OD). Not much for a clean tone though. But they have 2 channel amps for that (like the newer JCA22H and of course JCA50 and JCA100 varieties). Replacing the stock Chinese tubes is a must though.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Last edited by Prime2515102 at Mar 26, 2012,
Thanks for the recommendations. Hit the local store last night. Tried several on the recommended list and chose an Orange Crush PiX. Fit the budget and had the sound I was looking for.
:| Glad you found something that you liked I guess

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Mar 27, 2012,