Page 1 of 3
''Tens of thousands of Quebec students descended on downtown Montreal Thursday afternoon for the latest in a series of escalating protests against proposed tuition hikes.
An imposing crowd, considerably larger than the one at Montreal's famous 1995 pre-referendum rally, formed a kilometres-long sea of opposition to Quebec's tuition increases, scheduled to take effect later this year.
''

''In the past few weeks, students have blocked bridges and major roadways in an attempt to increase pressure on the government to reverse its position on the proposed tuition increases.Tactical police have been called in to disperse crowds on several occasions.

The annual $325 hike in tuition proposed by the government would result in an overall increase of $1,625 for Quebec students.

However, the tuition fees in the province will still be among the lowest in Canada even after the hikes.
''

''Students argue that increases will limit access to education in the province and have vowed to continue demonstrations until the hikes are abandoned.''

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/03/22/montreal-student-protests.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/02/20/student-strike-grows.html

Students have been causing crap around the city for a good month now opposing the raise of the tuition fee in university.Some of the students demand FREE education. And I cant help but feel like my generation is very selfish. But I can't quite make my mind tho. Education is an important part for any society and is a great investment, I just can't see how we can afford it with our ever growing debt.

what does the pit feel bout it?

EDIT:

Update:

The Strikes is still going on strong with daily action taken by students through out the province.

'''Tens of thousands of Quebec university and college students have been marching, blocking roads and bridges and loudly demonstrating for seven weeks against a tuition hike - making it the longest student strike in the province's history.

Quebec is known for its flourishing social movements and strong union representation, and students associations have been tapping that.

At the height of the strike on March 22, between 100,000 and 300,000 students marched in downtown Montreal in what CBC News described as a gathering "considerably larger than the one at Montreal's famous 1995 pre-referendum rally."

Complete article :
http://www.vancouversun.com/Student+strike+stretches+into+longest+province+history/6425049/story.html

Now the students still unsatisfied with the government offer will hold another general protest tomorrow, and this time they're calling out to all population to protest against the government in what they call the ''Quebec spring'' .

https://www.facebook.com/events/380435101978793/

EDIT 2:

April 19th 2012 ; The student movement is still going strong despite the government firm position. Mme beachamp Minister of education asked the many schools to resume there classes even tho the students voted for a continuation of the strike. This led to violent confrontation between students, as well as police and riot forces.

Last week another general manifestation was held and as much as 30'000 people walked downtown montreal to voice they're opinion. Another general manifestation is planned sunday april 22th.

many are calling for the Resignation of the Prime miniser Jean Charest as well as the Minister of education.

Actions are taken daily buy students that are becoming more and more radical. smoke grenade have been release in the metro at rush hours twice this week , 3 minister offices have been vandalized as well as the university of montreal 's concert hall.

The heat is climbing people. People are mad.
Last edited by ShevanelFlip at Apr 19, 2012,
Education should be free.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart

This.

+1
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
Quote by Todd Hart

This.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Over here uni will cost you short of ten grand. That's a fairly disgusting amount. Should be much less. I won't say free, but certainly much less.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Todd Hart

that's not exactly doable. it definitely shouldn't be profit-driven like so many of them though.
Quote by Todd Hart

Exactly this. I wish Canada would adopt Ireland's model. We already pay taxes for free healthcare. I would love it if free education was added into it. Not that I'd know since I'm basically in university for free anyway, but I still think the fees are too damned high.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
tuition fee protests.thats so 2010/11

ot: should be free
now extra flamey
More and more your seeing people take action against what they perceive as injustice. Well aimed or not its encouraging to see so many standing up for something.

The people are beginning to stir. Eyes are opening and voices are starting to materialize from the masses. People are questioning their so called leaders and voicing/acting out their displeasures at Governments that seem to only care for themselves and money.

Maybe we arent all sheep just yet.
Knowledge is power
Quote by Todd Hart

To a point.
Back in my parent's day, education to degree level was free; and they even got grants.
However, at that point, you'd average between 5 and 10% of school leavers attending university.
Within the last few years, that figure has reached over 40% in Scotland, and the figure was reflected around the UK in general. I suspect it's not that different in the rest of the UK, and western Europe.
If you want to give all those people a degree that's still worth more than the parchment, it's going to cost. A lot.
And frankly, it's not affordable to have that rate of attendance and have it be free.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Tuition costs are getting pretty ridiculous. I mean most of my friends are either in debt or working 2-3 jobs to just make it. I don't think it should be free because what free education means is a very competitive enrolment process, meaning if you ****ed around in high school you can probably kiss university good-bye. Something needs to be done about the rising prices, I don't want to be working the next few years after university just paying off my debt :/ this is supposed to help enrich my life not hinder it, and how can I focus completely on my studies if I'm constantly worrying about my financial problems in the meantime.
~ Requiem of Innocence ~
Quote by jakesmellspoo
that's not exactly doable. it definitely shouldn't be profit-driven like so many of them though.

It would be doable if we didn't have a massively bloated and overextended military and a system that forces local councils to destroy millions of pounds of perfectly serviceable equipment a year in order to get the same amount of funding the next year.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
To a point.
Back in my parent's day, education to degree level was free; and they even got grants.
However, at that point, you'd average between 5 and 10% of school leavers attending university.
Within the last few years, that figure has reached over 40% in Scotland, and the figure was reflected around the UK in general. I suspect it's not that different in the rest of the UK, and western Europe.
If you want to give all those people a degree that's still worth more than the parchment, it's going to cost. A lot.
And frankly, it's not affordable to have that rate of attendance and have it be free.

At the same time though, don't we want such high rates of attendance? Assume for a moment that they all do in fact receive top notch education. Isn't that good times?
Quote by Seanthesheep
Lol my cousins live in montreal and theyre pissed about the protests, they cant get to their classes lol

sounds like its time for them to join the movement.
Knowledge is power
Quote by captaincrunk
At the same time though, don't we want such high rates of attendance? Assume for a moment that they all do in fact receive top notch education. Isn't that good times?

What do they receive a top-notch education in, though? Are there jobs for people with those qualifications, or have they just spent several years learning stuff that isn't going to helkp them ask us if we want fries with that?
Unless there are jobs for lots of graduates, there's no point in having lots of graduates.
Basically people are herded into university to try and reduce the number of school leavers who don't go into a job, training or education; and in many cases, simply defer the McJob for a few years.
Quote by Diemon Dave
As much as I am for free education, I couldn't give a damn for what's happening there. I pay the highest tuition fees in Canada and we always protest the tuition hikes while nothing is done.
I know a lot ov people that made the 4 hours trip to join the crowd that day

OT: Honestly our uni are poorly funded so if the raised tuition fee are used to improve the system i'm okay with that... however it's still a huge amount of money

EDIT: and Yeah a lot of people are going to uni for nothing... everyone pick field of study that we already have too much people in like psychology or sociology. I've seen recent studies from uni that shows that 40% of university student in Quebec won't find a job in their field of study
Have you run your fingers down the wall...

And have you felt your neck skin crawl...
When you're searching for the light ?
Last edited by nemesisarmy at Mar 26, 2012,
it does suck, but an increase of 1,600 over 4 years is not that much. 375 per year they were saying? I would kill to have the same tuition as the QC students even after they have this tuition hike.

here in BC, I just paid 2200 for this one last semester January-April. I only took 3 classes cause im finishing my degree. People taking 5 classes per semester are paying like 3000 easily.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Free education here. Working just fine. You jelly?

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by nemesisarmy
EDIT: and Yeah a lot of people are going to uni for nothing... everyone pick field of study that we already have too much people in like psychology or sociology. I've seen recent studies from uni that shows that 40% of university student in Quebec won't find a job in their field of study

Learning is not about getting a job; that's just a retarded capitalist concept that has filtered down into the Zeitgeist. Education is about expanding yourself as a person and increasing your knowledge and capacity for critical and intelligent thinking. If you want an education that will aid you specifically in entering a career then get an apprenticeship.

It disgusts me that when people talk about learning it's purely a means to an end. Does no-one else delight in the simple bliss of acquiring knowledge and understanding any more?
Quote by Todd Hart
Learning is not about getting a job; that's just a retarded capitalist concept that has filtered down into the Zeitgeist. Education is about expanding yourself as a person and increasing your knowledge and capacity for critical and intelligent thinking. If you want an education that will aid you specifically in entering a career then get an apprenticeship.

It disgusts me that when people talk about learning it's purely a means to an end. Does no-one else delight in the simple bliss of acquiring knowledge and understanding any more?

Yes; but the EWTD says that you should have ample spare time in which to do that, whilst holding down a full-time job.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by ShevanelFlip
However, the tuition fees in the province will still be among the lowest in Canada even after the hikes.

This is the part that irks me.

If they're protesting for nationwide free education, awesome, I'll support that however I can. If they just want their costs to remain low, fuck them.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by slapsymcdougal
What do they receive a top-notch education in, though? Are there jobs for people with those qualifications, or have they just spent several years learning stuff that isn't going to helkp them ask us if we want fries with that?
Unless there are jobs for lots of graduates, there's no point in having lots of graduates.
Basically people are herded into university to try and reduce the number of school leavers who don't go into a job, training or education; and in many cases, simply defer the McJob for a few years.

who cares about the jobs.
more people in education = more educated society
that would be great.

that was one of the worst things about the government response here. "oh so many people go to uni that their degrees are worthless"
its complete bollocks.

i agree that not everyone wants to go, I'm the only one out of me and my three sisters as they do other stuff. but everyone who wants to go should have it payed for, like school.
if people want to learn they should be helped, so they can go on to help society.
now extra flamey
Quote by Todd Hart

I understand what you're saying and I'm one of those who love to learn for the pleasure of it, but still almost half of our uni student aren't getting a real job and will probably end up flipping burgers. Uni cost a shit load to the governement and in the end, to those who pays taxs.
Have you run your fingers down the wall...

And have you felt your neck skin crawl...
When you're searching for the light ?
Quote by Ikey
who cares about the jobs.
more people in education = more educated society
that would be great.

that was one of the worst things about the government response here. "oh so many people go to uni that their degrees are worthless"
its complete bollocks.

i agree that not everyone wants to go, I'm the only one out of me and my three sisters as they do other stuff. but everyone who wants to go should have it payed for, like school.
if people want to learn they should be helped, so they can go on to help society.

You can help society by being a painter and decorator. You can also study in your free time.
www.open.ac.uk
^Have a look.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by nemesisarmy
I understand what you're saying and I'm one of those who love to learn for the pleasure of it, but still almost half of our uni student aren't getting a real job and will probably end up flipping burgers. Uni cost a shit load to the governement and in the end, to those who pays taxs.

So what? I'd rather pay extra tax and have a scientifically literate and otherwise intelligent population than pay less and have a nation of idiots.

Edit: ^ The OU is the epitome of doing a degree just to get a job. Nothing can replace the benefits of sitting at the feet of a master in whatever field and learning, which is what university offers.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Mar 26, 2012,
The problem is that paying for an education didn't seem like a bad idea considering that you could get a job after Uni. Now not only finding a job is harder but you're also in debt.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by Todd Hart
So what? I'd rather pay extra tax and have a scientifically literate and otherwise intelligent population than pay less and have a nation of idiots.

Edit: ^ The OU is the epitome of doing a degree just to get a job. Nothing can replace the benefits of sitting at the feet of a master in whatever field and learning, which is what university offers.

Actually, the 'teaching' part of a university course is secondary to the 'learning' part. University isn't a place where someone pours facts into you; it's where you go and hoover up as much as you can. I know; if you just sit and absorb information, you'll get a shit degree.
The OU is all about doing work and finding information for yourself; and a large proportion of people who study with the OU do so for personal interest - and I'm speaking from personal experience.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Actually, the 'teaching' part of a university course is secondary to the 'learning' part. University isn't a place where someone pours facts into you; it's where you go and hoover up as much as you can. I know; if you just sit and absorb information, you'll get a shit degree.

The OU is all about doing work and finding information for yourself; and a large proportion of people who study with the OU do so for personal interest - and I'm speaking from personal experience.

I'm aware; I'm at uni. However, the teaching side of things is massively important, simply because it's one of the most natural ways of learning, hell - one of the most natural things that primates do is listen/look and learn.

I'm not saying that self-education is not an important part of university, but it's certainly better to have that self-education and an advisor/tutor to help you than to just have the former.
Quote by nemesisarmy

I despise this mindset that Uni is only good for getting an employer to hire you. There is no crisis of too many undergrads in the fields of psychology and sociology. People enrol into these programs because they are aware of issues that plague disadvantaged groups. There is no shortage of demand for their expertise. The problem lies in the fact that there exists a disconnect between the people facing these grave issues and those with the funding necessary to bring those people the services they require. Since a majority of the people in the groups that require the attention of sociologists and psychologists are already at a disadvantage it is unreasonable to expect them to get ahead in the existing system and come into a position where they can fund these services themselves. And if that wasn't enough, when sociology and psych majors take to the streets to demonstrate against this system, they are marginalized in the media for not callously choosing to study in a program that supports the current system. Disgraceful.
Quote by jakesmellspoo

uh...it's free in Norway, and other european nations..
I was expecting this thread to show up eventually.

At first I didn't give a shit about the protests, but now I feel that the government should raise tuition fees, just to piss off the protesters. If they reduce them, it will be understood that you can get what you want with violence and vandalism.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

Please excuse my proper spelling and grammar, English is one of my first languages.
Higher education should be accessible to all those who wish to pursue it and can meet the educational requirements for it. It shouldn't just be an extra qualification to flaunt but a chance to further knowledge in certain areas.
There should be financial help where tuition costs are involved. I still don't see why UK students get fussed over student loans when they don't gain interest and only have to be repaid under certain circumstances, get cleared after 40 years, don't affect other loans and start off as a repayment of less then £10 a month.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
Higher education should be accessible to all those who wish to pursue it and can meet the educational requirements for it. It shouldn't just be an extra qualification to flaunt but a chance to further knowledge in certain areas.
There should be financial help where tuition costs are involved. I still don't see why UK students get fussed over student loans when they don't gain interest and only have to be repaid under certain circumstances, get cleared after 40 years, don't affect other loans and start off as a repayment of less then £10 a month.

I don't think the actual payment is the issue, it's the fact that the rise in fees is being used as an attempt to price people out of education, which is obviously an abhorrent, disgusting method of control. But then, what did people expect when the voted Conservative?
Quote by Todd Hart
I don't think the actual payment is the issue, it's the fact that the rise in fees is being used as an attempt to price people out of education, which is obviously an abhorrent, disgusting method of control. But then, what did people expect when the voted Conservative?

We din't vote conservative here in QC.
Page 1 of 3