Hey guys.

Ive been playing for awhile now.

When you read this you might think lack of licks or something like that.

But this is how i feel

Most of the songs i play to are so tight they are are record worthy. But i have the same style when i solo ( the way i phrase stuff )

Is this normal to the player? i know the listener prob will not recognize it.

Like always much love and thanks for your help

ps. Im at the point right now where im starting to be very comfortable with my technique and what i play comes natural. for some reason i feel like its ok to have my own style, i try to switch it up so its new to me in the middle of improvisation. its that enough?
Last edited by IbanezMan989 at Mar 26, 2012,
Personnally I see some professional players like John Petrucci who IMO always solo the same and I don't mind as I kinda like it anyway. However, if you feel that your own soloing/playing feels not as diverse as you would want it to be then you have no choice but to correct the situation in some ways. The concious thoughts that come to your mind while you are playing are important as they may reflect your own insatisfaction to your playing.

I personnally feel the same about my playing but for me (may not be the same for you) the trouble is that I'm not listening enough to my ear. I'm working on aural training and I'm practicing singing solos/melodies before actually playing them and while recording myself I can see that my ideas are more varied and that I find them more interesting.

In the end, even if you feel more and more accomplished as a musician, it is normal to have some insatisfaction and you must improve the areas of playing that are most important to you and the mere fact that you ask if it is normal makes it so you, yourself, do not want to continue soloing or playing this way.
Every musician has a style that fits them most naturally - what they do by instinct. However, if your pallette isn't broad enough, well, that can make you sound pretty one-note.

What I would do is sit down and learn, by ear, about a dozen different solos that you like that do NOT fit with your style. (Doing it by ear is important. Don't just look up tabs). Make a point of learning a new one a week for a couple of months. This will expand your "vocabulary" as it were.
what ive been doing with my solos and fills is messing with the rythem instead of the notes of the solo . It seems you can make so much happen out of 3 notes
Instinct comes from what you've learned, and they grow all the time no matter what. Do the same thing over and over and you will get better at doing the same thing. Do anything different (consciously), and your musicality or creativity or whatever will have expanded that much.

So why not learn something new to do, what you've already learned won't go anywhere for a while. Just keep listening (magic word, listen) to new music and do what HotspurJr said.

And restrict yourself, improvise on one string, two strings... Anything to get something new out of the guitar. Just keep trying and experimenting, failure will always help you in some way though I doubt you'll notice it.
Quote by IbanezMan989
what ive been doing with my solos and fills is messing with the rythem instead of the notes of the solo . It seems you can make so much happen out of 3 notes

I didn't realize you were the threadstarter, Ibanez.

If I had notice that you were the one asking the question, I would have rolled my eyes.

Let me say this nicely, Ibanez. You are not producing record-worthy material. You have fundamental gaps in your abilities. You don't know how to create original music yet.

I, and others, have given you a lot of advice on these questions in the past. In appears, however, that you're not actually interested in becoming a good guitar player because you keep asking questions that have the same answers, but if you actually did the work and applied the knowledge you gained from doing the work, you wouldn't still be asking questions that have, fundamentally, the same answers.

Anybody with half a lick of musical ability will recognize very quickly that you're not really creating music, just moving your fingers around scale shapes. Your solos all sound the same because you're not using your brain and ears to create them.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but you need a reality check.

The way you describe yourself is typical of someone who has developed some technical ability but has neglected the other, more important, parts of his musicianship. It's common. It is music that nobody really wants to listen to for more than a couple of minutes.

Push yourself. It's time for you to get out of your comfort zone.

That is, at least, if you're serious about becoming a good musician.
excuse me dude

You tear down people instead of building them up.

Let me guess your one of those guys that are like this guy named zach i know. He plays the pentatonic scale and never plays guitar enough so he says anything fast doesnt have good phrasing or isnt good enough. And plus he ditches when u want him to come to a show .

Get your head out of your ass. the fact is i do know everyone recognizes if their phrases sometimes come back the same, i was just trying to see if anyone had some ideas out of it

Guitar players like you give us all a bad name. Stop being all about yourself, and putting yourself above all other guitar players just cause you like shit that no one else likes

Ps. Stop being a ass hole
Quote by HotspurJr
I didn't realize you were the threadstarter, Ibanez.

If I had notice that you were the one asking the question, I would have rolled my eyes.

Let me say this nicely, Ibanez. You are not producing record-worthy material. You have fundamental gaps in your abilities. You don't know how to create original music yet.

I, and others, have given you a lot of advice on these questions in the past. In appears, however, that you're not actually interested in becoming a good guitar player because you keep asking questions that have the same answers, but if you actually did the work and applied the knowledge you gained from doing the work, you wouldn't still be asking questions that have, fundamentally, the same answers.

Anybody with half a lick of musical ability will recognize very quickly that you're not really creating music, just moving your fingers around scale shapes. Your solos all sound the same because you're not using your brain and ears to create them.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but you need a reality check.

The way you describe yourself is typical of someone who has developed some technical ability but has neglected the other, more important, parts of his musicianship. It's common. It is music that nobody really wants to listen to for more than a couple of minutes.

Push yourself. It's time for you to get out of your comfort zone.

That is, at least, if you're serious about becoming a good musician.

I don't know what Ibanez sounds like because I don't see a link, but I'll take HotSpur's word for it.

Reality checks are very important to students. I have been posting amateur product on this site for quite some time. Some of it was well received, and others received harsh criticism. Do you think I remembered the compliments as well as I remembered the criticism? No. Criticism hurts and stings but it is also my driving force. This is my point of view, it may not be yours. From what I understand you're just playing notes and that's fine if you just want to play notes there is nothing wrong with that. But if you want to progress and expand your musical mind you let go of the training wheels and take some falls and bleed a little, if you know what I mean.
Last edited by Lateralus32 at Mar 26, 2012,
hot

I challenge u to a guitar battle .

Ill post a mp3 of my playing tommarow , and ill give u the same amount of time.

lets see who needs the reality check.

Post back if you accept
You tear down people instead of building them up.

Sometimes. When they need it. If you read what else I've posted, you'll see that I've been lots of people - including you - lots of encouragement in the past.

He plays the pentatonic scale and never plays guitar enough so he says anything fast doesnt have good phrasing or isnt good enough. And plus he ditches when u want him to come to a show .

Your guess about me is wrong.

the fact is i do know everyone recognizes if their phrases sometimes come back the same, i was just trying to see if anyone had some ideas out of it

And you've been given the tools to solve this problem. Including by me, in this thread. But then I realized that you've been given similar advice in other threads you've started, and the indisputable fact that you've neglected it suggests you're not going to take it in this thread, either.

Guitar players like you give us all a bad name. Stop being all about yourself, and putting yourself above all other guitar players just cause you like shit that no one else likes

I haven't put myself above anyone.

Look, I'm sorry I dinged your ego, but the reality is - based on your prior posts - that you don't know the basic fundamentals of songwriting. You don't know how to create a melody or a chord progression. You don't have the ability to recognize what's going on in a relatively simple piece of music.

And if you don't know how to do that, then you don't know how to create a solo and it's no surprise that all your playing sounds the same. Why shouldn't they - YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO WRITE MUSIC.

Again, this isn't me reaching or insulting you. It's me calling a spade a spade based on YOUR statements from previous threads. If you're upset that you don't know how to write music, then learn how to write music. Don't be mad that someone is telling you something that you already know.

You, by all appearances, don't want to do the work to become a complete musician. Maybe I'm wrong. If I'm wrong, that's great - because it means we're likely to have another good musician in the world, and we can't have too many of those.
Quote by IbanezMan989
Hey guys.

Ive been playing for awhile now.

When you read this you might think lack of licks or something like that.

But this is how i feel

Most of the songs i play to are so tight they are are record worthy. But i have the same style when i solo ( the way i phrase stuff )

Is this normal to the player? i know the listener prob will not recognize it.

Like always much love and thanks for your help

ps. Im at the point right now where im starting to be very comfortable with my technique and what i play comes natural. for some reason i feel like its ok to have my own style, i try to switch it up so its new to me in the middle of improvisation. its that enough?

I wouldn't worry about it. Keep playing. Keep learning stuff. allow yourself to continue developing. Don't over-think it. Trust your own instinct, play for yourself and don't try to live up to other peoples expectations or ideology in regards to what "good" musicianship or guitar playing is.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Mar 26, 2012,
What exactly is a guitar battle? How does one put it on an even playing field? Do you use a crummy backtrack or make something yourself? The former, admittedly evens it out... but only a little. I say a little because of interpretation of the track. The latter (making your own) would depend on individual taste.

So what exactly is a guitar battle and who exactly would be the judges?

@Ibanez- bends are wonky. Thematically speaking, not there. Trying a Gary Moore-esque thing... but not smooth enough. But that wasn't exactly improv. You heard the track a few times before you laid it down... tried an idea or two before laying it down too.

Like I said, hard to judge
Last edited by evolucian at Mar 26, 2012,
well yea my friend your right i laid it down pretty fast. but hey it works atleast for beating hotspur
This whole guitar battle thing is stupid... TS, he never questioned your skill. He was just stating why you might sound the same all the time, and he's got a point.

I listened to your solo and to be honest it kind of sounds you just threw a bunch of licks together. Not to be mean, I admit that I couldn't do any better, but it definetly could use some work.
Quote by IbanezMan989
well yea my friend your right i laid it down pretty fast. but hey it works atleast for beating hotspur

that's childish man...

i'm not getting involved in this little tussle going on, but people are trying to give advice, and sometimes that means telling it like it is. i'm not saying you're a shitty guitar player, but to go out of your way to make a solo to try to get ahead of some guy you're fighting with on an online forum...what are you trying to prove? To give you a little feedback on your original question I think you should analyze your playing, and see if you can recognize a difference between your lead playing and everything else, if you don't seem satisfied then try different directions and get more creative, mess with rhythm, the whole 9...it's that simple.

oh and Hotspur.....feel privileged...wish i got random people to make songs for me.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
I'm stumped as to one having to beat another at something. That's a lonely road you're going down, it might be best to pack a teddy in your backpack for company.

Personally, I don't think Hotspur will pick up the gauntlet on this one (or plectrum). You may or may not be out of your league too.

And you say your attempt works? On which level?
And you may as well post the backtrack too. You know... just to give someone a fighting chance.
Quote by macashmack
guitar isn't a competition so why make it a battle

This

Sounds like reality was a bit harsh for the ts.
@Ibanez, I actually listenned to your whole improvisation and here are the things that would make your improv even better IMHO:

1. Since the backing track is pretty laid back, you should try to space you ideas better with a few rests here and there. Rests will give a breathing and organic life to your phrasing.

2. The backing was too static IMO. A harmonically rich backing track makes for even more interesting soloing especially if you play well over the changes.

3. There was a phrase in there where you used chromatic tones and it's ok if that's what you wanted but usually you should try to use them with more subtlelty to spice up your phrases instead of making a whole chromatic phrase but this is all just IMO.

I'm actually not against guitar "battles" if it's all in good fun but I felt like you used this track more to showcase your technique than to showcase your musicianship. I doubt HotspurJr will reply but keep in mind he has shown a lot of musical knowledge up to now so even IF he were not as technically proficient as you, this wouldn't make his comments any less relevent.

I actually hope you will read my comment and use it as constructive criticism.
SuperweirdoUG got some good syrup flowin' out that beauty hole.
That's a compliment, btw
Quote by IbanezMan989

made this real quick for hotstuff spur.

What do you got dude. and dont take so long .

I'm not sure what that solo is supposed to prove. I don't have any interest in participating in a guitar battle. I really really don't care if you think you're a better guitar player than me ... and in any event, I'm not sure how two minutes of jamming over a backing track without any meaningful changes would prove anything. (That fact that you think it could sort of gets to my larger point about your core musicianship skills - you're still at a place where a solo isn't connected to chord changes or a melody ... which, incidentally, is exactly why all your solos sound the same and it's not a stylistic choice unless you can control it).

If you think that's worth of a "BAM" well, that's your prerogative.

Here's the simple truth is: you were worried about all your stuff sounding the same, I suspect with good reason. There's some basic stuff you haven't started to study yet.

There's no shame in being a beginner. Heck, you're better than I was after I had only been playing for 13 months. But your ego is going to stop you from being as good as you could be.

Here's a thread where you admit to not understanding the basics of how a capo works, which is something I explained to a non-musician (played piano for a year years and years ago) last night in about two minutes:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1528227

Here's a thread where you admit to not understanding how to connect and link different positions of a scale:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1527691

Here's a thread where you admit that you've never studied licks:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1526926

Here's a thread where you ask basic questions about picking technique, and admit you've barely been playing for over a year:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1525211

Here's are a couple of threads where you admit that you don't understand some very basic things about songwriting and chord progressions:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1525231
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1521951

Look, your enthusiasm is great. But when you freely admit that there are some huge holes in your core musicianship, why do you get upset when somebody tells you that there are some huge holes in your core musicianship?

Stop leading with your ego, stop thinking in terms of quite fixes, and stop defending your limitations as a stylistic choice. Identify the core musician skills you have which separate you from the people better than you and work at them. You clearly have the ability and dedication to work hard at this, so what's the problem?
yes. you do sound the same. very repetitive. you just rehash blues licks 90% of the time. the few parts where you did phrase were decent.

if i were you, i'd listen to hotspur. after a year of playing music, you don't know jack. not even mozart did after only a year -- and he's one of music's phrase kings.

it's time for you to take a reality check. the only way for you to get better at playing is to isolate and overcome your weaknesses - and any musician you'll ever meet will tell you that after only a year of playing, you'll be rife with them. if you don't want to take the reality check, that's fine -- but don't bitch when your progress is either limited or completely stunted. if you wake up, that's great - it means the world can potentially gain another skilled musician. if you don't, also good - it means there's less competition out there for the musicians that are already at proficient levels. so, really, i don't gain or lose either way. only you have the possibility of gain. i suggest you take it.

and you want to know something? the really funny thing here is that you don't realize that, by and large, it's guitar players like YOU that give us a bad name. take it from me. players that think they're hot shit and feel the need to post a solo to try and make up for their lack of knowledge in other areas. and if you don't believe me, come back to what i'm saying in 2 or 3 years, and you'll understand.

tl;dr - you've been playing for a year. comparatively speaking, you still have a long way to go. people who've been playing for 10 years still have ways to go to reach any kind of mastery. wake up or don't - it's your choice.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
man, just play your guitar and don't worry about impressing random people that you don't even know, or trying to live up to their ideals.

If you think you sound too much the same, add to your bag by learning some different stuff, have fun, and stop worrying about it.
shred is gaudy music
Don't ever get good
Always get better

Take in what EVERYONE says, whether you like it or not. Don't get defensive, it lets your incompitence show. (now before you take that "defensively") If you play guitar for a hundred years, at the end of that hundred years, I'll bet you will listen to a 15 year old that you will learn something from. You will never know everything, so don't come accross like you know it all... You never will. Especially, don't get defensive about advice after YOU asked for it.

I heard your solo, and thought "eh, it's not bad" but you got some work to do bud before you can just dismiss good advice, and take a "Who do you think you are?" attitude... and in my opinion, there's a lot of good advice in this thread... Don't get discouraged by it, get better from it...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Mar 26, 2012,
Quote by macashmack
SuperweirdoUG got some good syrup flowin' out that beauty hole.
That's a compliment, btw

Oh well thank you. English is not my primary language and I went to urban dictionary to see what a beauty hole was but it didn't help and neither did google. All I can say is that whisky helps me stay alive and positive and it makes me all love you that much more.
Sorry,

i had drank a couple beers more then i shouldove earlier..

Sorry hot... i just took your earlier post as a attack on me as a musician, and ive been getting it all the time lately and its been effecting me.

You didnt deserve that and i know your a good musician and i appreciate the advice you have givin me.

im sorry man.
Next he'll be saying his little bro got on here to ask another question that got him flamed.
ffs. Woman these days.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by IbanezMan989

im sorry man.

It takes a big man to apologize. Apology accepted.