I am starting to hate my line 6 spider cause everything sounds the same so now im gunna start saving for a new amp setup for heavy metal. Would this get the job done?

Peavey Valveking combo

Digitech TL2 Metal distortion pedal

Digitech Cm-2 Tube Overdrive
you sure you need the pedals? seems like the amp has enough gain from itself.
well, how much gain do you really need? enough for the most ear raping death metal in the world, and then some? if you really need the extra push, go ahead and buy another pedal to put it in there. you are talking about digitech pedals, but I actually recommend the Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff for an extreme amount of gain. Believe me, more than you'll ever need.
I wouldn't go for any of those, especially not the pedals. What can you manage to save up?
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
Quote by AgentOrange...
I wouldn't go for any of those, especially not the pedals. What can you manage to save up?

I can save up to maybe around 600$ but it will take a while
Quote by kiwiug
you sure you need the pedals? seems like the amp has enough gain from itself.
well, how much gain do you really need? enough for the most ear raping death metal in the world, and then some? if you really need the extra push, go ahead and buy another pedal to put it in there. you are talking about digitech pedals, but I actually recommend the Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff for an extreme amount of gain. Believe me, more than you'll ever need.

Well Distortion and Overdrive are different, so getting both is a good idea.

@TS - Thats not a bed setup, its deffinately one I would like to have.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Well Distortion and Overdrive are different, so getting both is a good idea.

@TS - Thats not a bed setup, its deffinately one I would like to have.

Think the metal muff would be better though?
Why not just get a Bugera or a used Peavey XXX or JSX or 6505 that can actually do heavy metal on its own instead of a mediocre amp and some mediocre pedals?
The cm-2 overdrive is an outstanding pedal. One of the best tube screamer types I've played. I wouldn't discount it, and would take it over many much higher priced alternatives.

But I would look at other amps and such than the ones you listed. Just get a 6505+ combo or something and an overdrive and you're pretty much set.
I diddnt want an 6505 because i heard it dosent sound good at low levels and i can play load at all
Last edited by Iplayaguitar15 at Mar 26, 2012,
The solution to that problem is certainly not to get a Valveking. A valveking doesn't sound better than a 6505 at any level.

Do you live near a Guitar Center or someplace you could go try these? It seems like you're basing your decisions a bit too much on internet hearsay.
Quote by Roc8995
The solution to that problem is certainly not to get a Valveking. A valveking doesn't sound better than a 6505 at any level.

ALright so get a used 6505? or 5150?
Quote by Roc8995

Do you live near a Guitar Center or someplace you could go try these? It seems like you're basing your decisions a bit too much on internet hearsay.

Yea i think so, i will probably do that . but i want some suggestions from you guys
Best suggestion I can give you is to go play a bunch of Peaveys and Bugeras and pick the one you like. There are plenty in your price range that are a lot better than a Valveking. Plus, most of them have quite a lot of gain and you may find that you don't need a pedal to get the tones you want.
Quote by Roc8995
Best suggestion I can give you is to go play a bunch of Peaveys and Bugeras and pick the one you like. There are plenty in your price range that are a lot better than a Valveking. Plus, most of them have quite a lot of gain and you may find that you don't need a pedal to get the tones you want.

I would bring my guitar their to test right?
Quote by Roc8995
Any guitar shop will let you bring your guitar in to test out amps.

alright thanks
I'd say yourself a 6505+ 112 combo. The ValveKing is pretty mediocre tbh, it's an entry level valve amp, whereas the 6505 is a specific tool, for a specific purpose.
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3