Trying to score boyfriend points; is anyone fantastic with MS Word 2010?

Heylo,

Basically my girlfriend does her portfolio work on MS Word 2010, then saves it straight to her USB stick, which she subsequently lost (I know, VERY silly to not back up!). All the "recent places" and whatnot refer to the USB pathway, which of course, isn't available.

So I'm basically trying to find out if Word saves any trace of a document to "C:" drive? Searches at the moment are coming up pretty fruitless so I appeal to you guys!

Any help would be totally appreciated, although I'm pretty much expecting a "No, you moron" type of response.

Thanks!

Jim
I've driven 102,888 extra miles for every 1 mile an environmentalist has walked....
Should have used Google docs.

Moron.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Try some data recovery software to search for the file. Might work, might not. Since MS word doesn't save anything to itself, it's unlikely worth a shot I guess.

Does this mean if anyone here helps you, we get boyfriend points too?
Funnily enough, MS word creates a bunch of temp files containing content as you're editing... but it deletes them straight away (and even while in use). So no.
It's actually likely that it's somewhere in your temp files, but finding it might be a trick.

Search for all files with a .wbk extension.

Also, have you tried 2010's "Recover Unsaved Documents"? You never know...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
My MS Word 2007 Has got a "recent files" button in start menu, so files are there. I'm not sure if it would work if file would be off-the hard drive. I'm pretty sure that there must be some backup file made by word.
Quote by daniel.kPL
My MS Word 2007 Has got a "recent files" button in start menu, so files are there. I'm not sure if it would work if file would be off-the hard drive. I'm pretty sure that there must be some backup file made by word.

The file isn't there; just a 'signpost' to where the file was.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
it be easier to find a new g/f than find those files
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Also, secks her into unconciousness, then re-write the stuff for her. Easy-peasy.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Hmmm. Well normally I'd try to help you out with that particular situation. But I don't think I want to, instead I'll teach you another lesson.

You see, this involves a woman. Women you see, they're a bit dangerous, you really gotta watch it, or else they send in these brain ninjas in your brain, and you're ****ed.

So don't help her, and tell her you don't know shit about computers. Because if you even TRY, you'll give her false hope, and then of course it doesn't work, so then she gets mad at YOU (very common female response), and then next thing you know she blames you for the whole thing. Then you have to deal with all the emotional bullshit of her dilemma and now it's your fault (even though it's not, but it's not an argument) and then you don't get laid and she suddenly has the wicked ****-the-world-and-most-importantly-****-you mentality of a 45 year old recently divorced woman.

And you don't want that. Think of it as those DirecTV commercials: don't grow a scraggly beard and pick up stray animals, get DirecTV. Except in this situation. Don't help your girlfriend because she will use her evil female powers to blame you for it and put you in a world of hurt and you're perma****ed.

Or just help her out, she could at least appreciate the help, that would be nice. Then maybe you'll get extra-good time later for trying.

Also, I don't know a thing about computers.
Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
Friendship is magic. Practice what you preach you hypocritical, disrespectful, punk ass homosapien fuck.

Nah, I disagree. Even when i'm all about love and tolerance, not having a backup is a dumb move.

Loving and tolerating people in the pit turns you into a doormat.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 26, 2012,
There are some ways to recover deleted files.

1. Go into MS word, click on the office icon thing in the top left corner. Go to "word options". Click the tab on the right that says "save". On the left you will see "autorecover file location", copy that file path to clipboard. Go to My Computer (or Computer, same thing) and paste the file path in the address bar. If you're lucky there will be some files that say "Microsoft word backup file" under the heading "type". See if one of those is the document.

If that fails:

Google "EaseUS data recovery" and download the free version, it allows you to recover "permanently" deleted files. Install and follow instructions. Since she lost the usb, when you attempt a recovery, you wanna check the hard drive for whatever file types she lost (e.g. MS word etc). Hopefully they're there, if not, you're outta options bro

Good luck.
Last edited by JayR_guitar at Mar 26, 2012,
If we help will she grant us all sexual favours?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by metalblaster
Hmmm. Well normally I'd try to help you out with that particular situation. But I don't think I want to, instead I'll teach you another lesson.

You see, this involves a woman. Women you see, they're a bit dangerous, you really gotta watch it, or else they send in these brain ninjas in your brain, and you're ****ed.

So don't help her, and tell her you don't know shit about computers. Because if you even TRY, you'll give her false hope, and then of course it doesn't work, so then she gets mad at YOU (very common female response), and then next thing you know she blames you for the whole thing. Then you have to deal with all the emotional bullshit of her dilemma and now it's your fault (even though it's not, but it's not an argument) and then you don't get laid and she suddenly has the wicked ****-the-world-and-most-importantly-****-you mentality of a 45 year old recently divorced woman.

And you don't want that. Think of it as those DirecTV commercials: don't grow a scraggly beard and pick up stray animals, get DirecTV. Except in this situation. Don't help your girlfriend because she will use her evil female powers to blame you for it and put you in a world of hurt and you're perma****ed.

Or just help her out, she could at least appreciate the help, that would be nice. Then maybe you'll get extra-good time later for trying.

Also, I don't know a thing about women.

Fixed. On topic, it seems as though you may be hooped, unfortunately.
as a good boyfriend you should have memorised all of the content already without having been prompted to do so. there are a bunch of recover file softwares so they're worth a try.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Is your real name Jimothy? If it is, you should probably change it. That will get you more "boyfriend points" than finding her files, since no girl should want to fuck a Jimothy.

If it's not your real name (and I sincerely hope it's not) I have nothing useful to say that hasn't been said already, and also your girlfriend is stupid/careless.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.