So I've just moved into my new place, and I think I'll actually be here for at least a few years instead of moving every year from lease to lease. Since I'll likely be here for longer, I'm thinking about setting up my aquariums again since I haven't for the last few years. My question is, what kind of fish (only fresh water) should I keep this time? I've got a 55 gallon thats going to go in the living room and a 29 gallon will be in my game/music/sports (man cave I guess) room. I was thinking about keeping a turtle or two in the 29 gallon. In the 55 I've previously kept various types of Cichlids, Oscars, Bala Sharks, Piranhas, Fresh Water Puffers, and Angels (but they usually die off) and maybe a Gourami or two along the line. I love African Cichlids, they're so colorful and you can keep several of them. I'm trying to decide what I should go with this time around, or if I should try something new.

Thoughts and opinions?
You can never go wrong with gold fish.There many different kinds and very colorful ones also .They are very hardy and easy to care for.
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
Just drop a few deuces in the aquarium and invite neighbors over for a housewarming party. Make sure there's a healthy mix of floaters and sinkers. Say "there's one more, but he's hiding - oh there he is!" and gesture towards a turd behind a little piece of coral.

Record the reactions and post them to youtube.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Just drop a few deuces in the aquarium and invite neighbors over for a housewarming party. Make sure there's a healthy mix of floaters and sinkers. Say "there's one more, but he's hiding - oh there he is!" and gesture towards a turd behind a little piece of coral.

This actually got me giggling like a fool for a good minute.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by RU Experienced?

I'm not sure if my girlfriend would like me taking craps in the fish tank in the living room. I'll run it by her when I get home from work.
Quote by Thrill-house
Get a Lionfish, those are cool.

they are cool but ridiculously expensive, and they're saltwater fish.
Quote by BoyLilikoi
I'm not sure if my girlfriend would like me taking craps in the fish tank in the living room. I'll run it by her when I get home from work.

If she's not cool with it you should probably consider breaking up and finding a new partner with a better sense of humor. I think your best bet is to make it a sort of bonding activity between the two of you and have her join in. You don't want her to feel excluded.

^Sup kelly, long time no see.
Quote by RU Experienced?
If she's not cool with it you should probably consider breaking up and finding a new partner with a better sense of humor. I think your best bet is to make it a sort of bonding activity between the two of you and have her join in. You don't want her to feel excluded.

^Sup kelly, long time no see.

sup bro
freshwater, meh.

Saltwater brah, **** yeah.

Seriously, saltwater isn't that bad. It's expensive to start up, and then you just have to follow close directions and let it take it's time.

After that, pretty much no maintenance. All I do is feed, add some water when it needs it. I usually test the water like once every few months, it's always fine. If you have a tank crash then honestly you're just dumb and probably crammed a whole bunch of different life forms in there way to quick that shouldn't be there anyways.
Quote by metalblaster
Oh, and btw TS, not sure if they also do freshwater, but the check out the reef tank.

Thanks I'll def check that out. I've always wanted to establish a saltwater tank. And from what I've read, you're right. It's a shot to the wallet initially, but then is essentially on cruise control once it's established. I haven't exactly financially been in the position until recently to consider a salt water tank, but I just may.

Anyone ever keep bala sharks? I have once before but only for a short while. I know they get big, and are a communal species. I don't want a 55 with just two balas swimming around, I'm wondering if I could keep some other community fish with them and they would still grow.
Quote by BoyLilikoi
Thanks I'll def check that out. I've always wanted to establish a saltwater tank. And from what I've read, you're right. It's a shot to the wallet initially, but then is essentially on cruise control once it's established. I haven't exactly financially been in the position until recently to consider a salt water tank, but I just may.

Anyone ever keep bala sharks? I have once before but only for a short while. I know they get big, and are a communal species. I don't want a 55 with just two balas swimming around, I'm wondering if I could keep some other community fish with them and they would still grow.

Check out their ''risk'' level, there's this book i saw somewhere and it essentially goes through pretty much every species of fish and tells your if they're hard to keep and how aggressive they are and stuff.

Don't forget aggressiveness can be deemed less of a threat for others if you're putting a lot of decent shaped live rock (if you're going saltwater but any sort of hiding places made of anything will do). I had a three striped damsel and a allard's clownfish and the damsel would pester the other viciously without remorse. Changed the placement of my rock, bought a bit more, and there was less chasing around.

Of course, it's a damsel, the number one impossible to kill super mega aggressive fish of the sea. Yet ****ing tiny. Essentially a sea-chihuahua.

The clownfish died though, poor guy spent his last moments on the bottom flapping his gills at six bagillion miles an hour.

Btw, if you're going saltwater, just remember planning is everything. And if fish end up getting sick because of other incompatible fish biting them and causing them to slip into disease, it's very hard to medicate saltwater fish.
Quote by Oyface
www.ultimatefish.com

EDIT: Holy shit, that's actually a website.

My Dad's got one, and I've always liked tropical fish. Just need to take more care of them, like water temperature and stuff, I think.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by MH400
Malawi Cichlids are the way to go.

+ Frontosas.

this is what I'm leaning towards. I was thinking about trying to do live plants this time around. I've got a sub gravel filter, anyone know if you can do both at the same time?
Its possible.

I use an external cannister. Bought an Eye Biter and Female Kadango today
RIP Tom Searle.