Okay so I have an Ibanez RGT42 that is kind of a brick at the moment. It doesn't resonate or have any real woody tone other than just a flat one. I put a Bareknuckle pickups Aftermath in the bridge and a Dimarzio Liquifire in the neck and that helped some, but it still doesn't have that awesome, real tone like my jaguar with humbuckers or Epiphone Les Paul Ultra does. Is the wood just dead and unreasonant, or is there something I can do?

P.S. this does have a floyd rose style trem system. Could that be what is stopping the strings from reacting well with the wood?
GEAR:
1987 Ibanez RG550 w/ DiMarzio PAF Pro and Bare Knuckle Aftermath
Fender Jaguar Classic Player Special HH
Ibanez RGT42 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez AEG10E Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe w/ Celestion Vintage 30
Give your guitar to a local guitar shop for a set-up. I find that set-up normally solve majority of the guitar problems. Just like if your computer crashes and you just restart it majority of the time it gets fixed.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
Well Floyd Rose guitars are never as resonant as the equivalent fixed bridge guitar. If you've changed your strings, the frets aren't choking the notes out and the problem is still there, then it probably is because the guitar isn't very resonant. There's not much you can do about it. Blocking the trem might make some difference, but if the guitar isn't resonating well at all with a floyd, it won't be much better as a fixed bridge.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 26, 2012,
To check to see how resonant a guitar is just pluck a string and touch the headstock, if you cant feel the vibrations through the headstock then you have your answer.
Thanks for the help guys.
I have gotten this set up very recently and haven't changed the string gauge or type of strings since then. And when I pluck the strings the headstock vibrates a good amount, but only when I pluck the bottom two. I feel like thats only because it's tuned down to drop C.

The tone of this guitar is also super muddy even though I put in supposedly one of the clearest and best alternative/metal pickup in the bridge position. Is this just characteristic of basswood or is there something I could potentially do about that too?
GEAR:
Quote by grungelive72

The tone of this guitar is also super muddy even though I put in supposedly one of the clearest and best alternative/metal pickup in the bridge position. Is this just characteristic of basswood or is there something I could potentially do about that too?

Its not that its Basswood, its that its bad basswood. What you can do if check ebay and look for a cheap RG body. You will need to check the measurements on the neck heel to insure it would fit right first.
the problem is, that the RGT42 is a neck-thru guitar. So I'm pretty much screwed on trying to change the body.
GEAR:
Then there really isnt anything you can do accept toss it up on CL for trade or to just live with it.
It's not the strings. I change them regularly (about every month or two) and whether they're old or new doesn't make much of a difference.
GEAR:
I've never been impressed by Ibanez's mid range models, but it's been a while since I've played one in a shop. The body on the guitar is basswood I think, and is supposed to be pretty similar to alder. I'm not sure if they veneer it with maple, a lot of the MIJ alder Jackson's are (even if it's not a transparent finish, I know because I've sanded one down), so they obviously don't do it for looks. I personally, don't like the sound of mahogany without maple on top to balance it out, and I don't think I've owned a guitar that was alder without at least a maple veneer.

I also don't think a FR styled bridge will kill your sustain. Of my guitars the one with the best sustain has an OFR... but a crappy FR bridge will probably kill your sustain. Anyway it sounds like you really don't like the construction of the guitar itself, and unfortunately, changing the pickups will never fix this.
Likely a crap peice of wood.
My rg370 has had Emgs, Bkp aftermaths, tone zone/air norton and a v7/v8 set.
It sounded like shit no matter what. The v8/v7 is what I left in, but its still garbage and I avoid playing it unless I need a guitar in that tuning. The culprit imo in either a huge knot or another large imperfection. I can see/feel a couple through the finish. I will never buy another mii or mic ibby. My 150$ rg470 has a beautiful flawless one peice body and sounds great.
Thanks for the replies guys. I got this guitar use so I'm not too disappointed. I guess I'll just put the stock pickups back in and put it on Craigslist. I think I'll get an S570 with a maple fretboard next if i can afford it. I've heard extremely good things about the S series.
GEAR:
It's really just random chance that yours is a dud. No two pieces of wood are the same. I wouldn't be so quick to generalize all lower end guitars.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Operator error.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.