I am somewhat new to the pro audio realm of guitar, so please dont be too rough. So I am thinking of getting some preamp effect units such as a Marshall JMP-1 and a some sort of EQ. My question is can I run this through my current amp which is a Marshall TSL 602? To my understanding, these preamp effect units are basically high end pedals. If I am wrong, please help me out with this one. Thanks!
The idea of the external preamp is to basically bypass the amp's own preamp entirely. If your amp has a FX loop you accomplish this by pluging your preamp into the "FX return" jack.
So in the back there are a FX loop inputs. The two inputs are a return and send, so if I link the preamps and plug them into the FX return jack they should work as long as the FX are engaged by the footswitch?
Quote by seljer
The idea of the external preamp is to basically bypass the amp's own preamp entirely.

or so you can run a particular power amp (like a 50/50) or so you can have more control over preamp and power amp selection. some people actually have high dollar setups that switch between all kinds of amp/preamp/power amp/ pedal combinations.

sometimes it is just handy to have the preamp in it's own box

Quote by seljer
If your amp has a FX loop you accomplish this by pluging your preamp into the "FX return" jack.

+1

bypass the amps preamp altogether.

So in the back there are a FX loop inputs. The two inputs are a return and send,

yup. the 'send' jack has the amp's native preamp output. you can 'send' this signal to pedal or rack effects (usually stuff like reverb or delay is used here, many other effects find there way into an effects loops as well).

the 'return' is the input for you amp's power section. so you could 'send' the preamp to a bunch of pedals and 'return' the effected signal to the power amp.

in your particular case, you'd plug into a rack preamp like the JMP-1, then you'd send the output of the JMP-1 to the 'effects return' of your amp. this bypasses the amp's whole preamp and so won't contaminate the signal with the amp's native preamp.

so if I link the preamps and plug them into the FX return jack they should work as long as the FX are engaged by the footswitch?

depends on how your effects loop is setup. it sounds like you are dealing with a parallel effects, then you'd need the FX loop engaged on the footswitch. if it was series, i think it wouldn't matter.

my bass rig is racked. i run a eden navigator with a crown power amp. i plug the input into the eden, run the output to the crown and run the output of the crown to a speaker. that is similar to what you will be doing, just try to think about it in those simple terms.

also, this may help if you aren't familiar with some amp basics.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/blog/86585/
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 26, 2012,
Alright so in all honesty, I am trying to get a tone similar to t=Dave Murray of Iron Maiden. This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDrJetmt2BE goes through his set up (obviously I'm not getting all of it) and I love the tone he gets and am trying to replicate it as best I can. I am using his signature guitar and my amp is a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 602 (which tone wise is very similar to his, just less wattage). In the video at 1:19 he gets into the Mike Hill Tube screamer and univibe combo effect. So I'm aiming to get that, the previously JMP 1, as well as a EQ effects unit which should allow me to get the tone. But I am unsure how I can connect this all together once I get it all.

From what I gathered from gumbilicious, I would link the JMP-1 along with the EQ, MH effects then plug them into my amps "return" jack. Then it would bypass my amps preamp?

On a separate note, could I link a few select pedals to my FX loop in the meantime? Would I connect the "output" from the first pedal to the "send" FX jack and then engage the FX on the footswitch?
Quote by conor1423
Alright so in all honesty, I am trying to get a tone similar to t=Dave Murray of Iron Maiden. This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDrJetmt2BE goes through his set up (obviously I'm not getting all of it) and I love the tone he gets and am trying to replicate it as best I can. I am using his signature guitar and my amp is a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 602 (which tone wise is very similar to his, just less wattage).

that head should be about all you need, why do you think you need a JMP-1? or the EQ unit? the JCM-2000 and JMP-1 both have EQ built in.

Quote by conor1423
In the video at 1:19 he gets into the Mike Hill Tube screamer and univibe combo effect. So I'm aiming to get that, the previously JMP 1, as well as a EQ effects unit which should allow me to get the tone. But I am unsure how I can connect this all together once I get it all.

there are multiple ways. some preamps even have their own effects loops (my eden has like 2 or 3 effects loops!). the simple way:

guitar -> JMP-1 -> effects unit -> amp 'return'

Quote by conor1423
On a separate note, could I link a few select pedals to my FX loop in the meantime? Would I connect the "output" from the first pedal to the "send" FX jack and then engage the FX on the footswitch?

totally. you shouldn't need a separate preamp for your plans. just do this

guitar -> amp input
send-> effects -> return

that is the simple way. if you were gonna do it like the video, he most likely did something like:

guitar -> tubescreamer -> univibe -> amp
send -> reverb -> delay -> return

go ahead and list all your gear, i am interested in what you have to work with.

-ae
This is all my stuff.

My amp i recently got in a great trade, I traded my Mesa Studio caliber .22 for my current Marshall JCM 2000 tsl 602 60watts.
Guitar: modded Fender American Deluxe Strat (mod is new pickups, the ones in his signature strat)
My pedals: Digitech studio phaser, Boss super chorus, Digitech RP 355, and a DOD 250 overdrive vintage reissue.

Thank you for your help so far though, it has helped a lot!
Quote by conor1423
This is all my stuff.

My amp i recently got in a great trade, I traded my Mesa Studio caliber .22 for my current Marshall JCM 2000 tsl 602 60watts.
Guitar: modded Fender American Deluxe Strat (mod is new pickups, the ones in his signature strat)
My pedals: Digitech studio phaser, Boss super chorus, Digitech RP 355, and a DOD 250 overdrive vintage reissue.

Thank you for your help so far though, it has helped a lot!

wow, that is a bunch of stuff. do you use any of this stuff?

try it like this:

strat -> DOD 250 -> amp

send -> chorus -> phaser -> RP355 -> return

now, i haven't messed with the RP355 much, but i know it has a ton of pedals on it. you could also try running it after the DOD and before the amp as well. you could also run it like:

guitar -> DOD 250 -> RP355 -> amp return

the RP355 should be able to get tone very similar to what you are after. i'd try the first setup and use a slow shallow phase with a little reverb and a light delay would probably get you close to there.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
wow, that is a bunch of stuff. do you use any of this stuff?

yeah haha, i use it all every day for hours!

Ill try your suggestion and noodle with the settings and see what I can come up with (hopefully I'll have enough patch chords), thanks a bunch for the help. To get an idea of what I managed to squeeze out of this amp here is a link to something I put up on youtube today of a solo cover I took in my first try (the amp was on the lead channel) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxX4qlgieEQ&context=C405b45dADvjVQa1PpcFMwgZL9xQ0kd9OYtz_wuNzc9NvgLfxbqzo=

Also, I tried what you suggested and when I tried to put my chorus, phaser, a rp 355 into the Fx loop it had no effect on the sound for some reason. Right now I have it guitar <- DOD <- phaser <- chorus <- 355 <- amp input
Last edited by conor1423 at Mar 26, 2012,
yeah, put your RP355 in the effects loop, add a bit of reverb and a shallow delay (feedback: 25%, Mix: 30%, time: 100 to 300 milliseconds). run your digitech studio phaser before the RP355 and set it to a slow phase and shallow phase.

that should thicken up your tone and add a bit of gliss.

edit: duh. forgot the old classic "run an od in front of a marshall" technique. just dial back the gain on the marshall's lead channel and run your dod between the guitar and the amp. set the DOD od on a lower gain setting and then adjust to taste.

all the old 80's guys did it.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 26, 2012,