Hey guys. I've had my 6505+ combo for around a year or two now. I've never really had a problem with it until recently when I moved into a new appartment. In my old place the amp was fairly quiet regarding noise. The clean channel was nearly silent, while the lead channel had it's fair share of hum, which is to be expected.

In my new appartment, I'm having some weird issues with it. I've tried all sorts of configurations regarding pedals, cables, placement around the appartment and different plugins, but it's always the same thing.

I've attached three sound clips. They're recorded with my ipod touch, so the quality isn't the best, unfortunately.

This is the amp totally clean without my effects loop or any pedals in front. Just the amp on clean, with the volumes turned all the way down, with just a standard cable in the input. I was thinking it could be interference, possibly with the nearby cables, but it produces the same noise (notice the weird beeping-ish sound that sounds at a steady tempo) everywhere in the appartment.

This is the amp with the lead channel on, same configuration as above, but with the pre-gain at noon and the post-gain set just slightly above zero. It might be kind of hard to tell in this recording, but obviously the buzzing in the background is much louder and the beeping sound is muuuch more prominent as well.

Finally, and weirdest of all, this is with the lead channel with pedals in front (Guitar -> Snarling dogs wah -> whammy -> EHX Riddle Qballs). The buzzing is even louder, and now has an even stranger synth-like/bird chirp-like noise. I may have narrowed this down to my Riddle Qballs pedal, since the noise goes away without it, but it's strange because this pedal works like a dream on my other amp that I've tested. I might be able to fix this one with a noise supressor or something.

So, I might be able to fix the last problem with a noise supressor to quiet the Riddle pedal, but I've no idea why it only makes this sound on this amp and not my other. As for the first two scenarios, I've no idea. I realize that the 6505+ is a noisy amp, but I never had these problems before the move, and it was dead silent on the clean channel previously.

It's possible that one of the tubes was rattled a little bit loose during the move (roughly a 23 hour drive across states), could that be causing it? I've noticed a slight rattling sound near the tubes when I move the amp, sort of like when you shake a dead light bulb, but a bit louder.

I'd greatly appreciate any help you guys can give. If you have any questions or suggestions, I'd love to hear them

Cheers
Jackson RR3
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Brice HXB406 Bass
Peavey 6505+ 112 60w combo
Peavey Vypyr 15w combo
This is odd. I just unplugged my speakers hooked up to my laptop by accident, and plugged them back in again. As I was inserting the cable I noticed that my speakers started producing the exact same sound as the first sound clip when the cable was about half-way into the jack (you know that weird sound you get sometimes when plugging in computer speakers and you angle the plug a little bit while inserting).

I just did some more testing, and it makes the same noise without any cable in the input jack, no effects loop. The amp is just turned on, with the volumes/gains all the way down, with nothing plugged into it except the speaker cable (going into the box) and the power cable. The only thing I can really think of that would cause the same problem as my computer speakers is maybe a cable not being fully inserted, but the speaker cable is secure, and I don't have access to anything else to check unless I open it up.
Jackson RR3
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Brice HXB406 Bass
Peavey Vypyr 15w combo
Im by no means an expert on this sort of stuff, but have you tried just re-seating all the tubes? While you have them pulled, inspect them to see if you can find whats 'rattling', give the pins and sockets a clean while your at it.

I think your issue sounds more serious than a bad connection, but I always suggest the above as the first response when having issues with a tube amp... I gather someone around here who knows more than I do will be able to give you a more definitive answer.
Could be dirty power getting into the amplifier? i would try getting a power conditioner and see if that makes a difference.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
I found this thread, he seems to have the same problem as me. I shut off my phone, and every electronic item in my room, and it made no difference. I re-tried plugging the amp in around the appartment and still had no differences.

I just removed the two power tubes (Stock tubes, Ruby 6L6s) and examined them. This is the first time I've worked with my tubes, I'm a big kid now . I found that one of them definitely makes the sound similar to a dead light bulb when you shake it. Should I look into replacement power tubes?
Jackson RR3
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Brice HXB406 Bass
Peavey Vypyr 15w combo
id plug it in somewhere else first, like a totally different building
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by elsporko
I found that one of them definitely makes the sound similar to a dead light bulb when you shake it. Should I look into replacement power tubes?

Sounds like it could be the issue... I cant see how a shagged power tube could generate that sort of cyclical noise but either way it should not have anything loose inside it.

I doubt its interference because, presumably, the amp was near all those electronic devices before you moved and wasn't having any issues - but taking it around to a friends house would rule that out...
Last edited by zero at Mar 26, 2012,
Did a little bit more testing after re-seating the power tubes. I will look into some replacement power tubes if I get the chance, depending on how much they cost. I also noticed that the super weird third soundclip seems to only occur with my Riddle Qballs pedal connected in front of the amp, but only happens when the pedal is off. When it's on, it plays like normal and I don't get the weird sound. I'll try it again with my other amp and see if I can reproduce it. Maybe the pedal is bad after all.

I'll try to lug the amp somewhere to test it in a different building. As a university student with no vehicle and a 1000lb amp, that won't be easy :P
Jackson RR3
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Brice HXB406 Bass
Peavey Vypyr 15w combo