I've felt a lot of pain in my relatively brief lifetime and from what I understand I'm not a bad blues player.

Are these things connected? I think the origins of the blues is the pain slaves felt in America, but I'm not a great historian.

I will never play guitar like a black man but I have a vague idea of what they felt and maybe it helps me play the blues at a decent level, I'm really not sure.
Quote by Lateralus32
I will never play guitar like a black man

There's a lil' wayne joke that I'm just too lazy to make right now, but by posting this I'm already kinda making it.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by whoomit
Birds don't feel much pain which is why they're not good blues guitarists.

Would you feel any pain if you could fly anywhere? I'd be high all the time.
Implying you feel even a little bit as much pain as they felt during slavery.

smh
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Lateralus32
I've felt a lot of pain in my relatively brief lifetime and from what I understand I'm not a bad blues player.

Are these things connected? I think the origins of the blues is the pain slaves felt in America, but I'm not a great historian.

I will never play guitar like a black man but I have a vague idea of what they felt and maybe it helps me play the blues at a decent level, I'm really not sure.

Art...

sculpture, music, dance, the written word....

They are about expression, saying something important to the artist.

It can be pain or joy, but the artist must have something to say.

You could write a great song about an ice cream cone, if you can find enough to say about it.

But the truth is it is far easier to say something about pain, pain is a more intense emotion and inspires creativity. It has to, because being creative about pain is about stopping it or sharing the load.

It would be to your benefit to write one song about the beauty and joy of life. Bob Thiele wrote a lot of music, much of it the blues. But the song that will take him through time will be, "What a Wonderful World."

Now you can't play like a starving former slave. Don't get hung up on that.

They can't play like you.
I would say that blues was more or less reflecting what life was like for the people that wrote the tunes at the time. People write about their experiences, and if it's sad then the song for the most part ends up being sad.

But being sad doesn't make you better at the blues bro.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by seabear70
Art...

You could write a great song about an ice cream cone, if you can find enough to say about it.

But the truth is it is far easier to say something about pain, pain is a more intense emotion and inspires creativity. It has to, because being creative about pain is about stopping it or sharing the load.

It would be to your benefit to write one song about the beauty and joy of life. Bob Thiele wrote a lot of music, much of it the blues. But the song that will take him through time will be, "What a Wonderful World."

That's great advice. 90% of all lyrics I've written are self loathing sophomoric garbage. I'd feel dumb making any money off that.

I wrote a poem in 3rd grade about beauty, too bad I can't recall it and I think its lost.
I don't think you need to suffer to play blues at all, unless you're a snobby purist.

Blues is just like any other form of music, it's expressing yourself... whether your sad, angry, happy, frustrated, lonely, jealous or a combination, the blues is there to help you express it.

Jimi Hendrix said he just liked the sound of it. And what else needs to be said?
Quote by seabear70
Art...

Quote by Lateralus32
That's great advice. 90% of all lyrics I've written are self loathing sophomoric garbage. I'd feel dumb making any money off that.

I wrote a poem in 3rd grade about beauty, too bad I can't recall it and I think its lost.

Ahaha! Sophomoric! Hahahah! I'm gonna use that.

It's important to not just dwell in the negative. Personally I hate people who in a world-sense have good lives but always find some dark shit to be all emotional about. But hell some people are just more emotional than others and handle things differently.
Quote by seabear70
Art...

Good advice for such a ridiculous sounding OP
Quote by Piñata
I don't think you need to suffer to play blues at all, unless you're a snobby purist.

Blues is just like any other form of music, it's expressing yourself... whether your sad, angry, happy, frustrated, lonely, jealous or a combination, the blues is there to help you express it.

Jimi Hendrix said he just liked the sound of it. And what else needs to be said?

Also this too.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by RU Experienced?
There's this one blues lick that I can only play after I've stubbed my toe on the coffee table at 2 in the morning.

Funniest post in the thread.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
where the **** did you get that? i'm pretty sure i know that person.

He's a meme if so, that is the higher than high guy.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
where the **** did you get that? i'm pretty sure i know that person.

Really High Guy

Quote by Trowzaa
Really High Guy

well then, i know an internet celebrity! i even have his phone number!

i feel special.
Quote by wizards?

I don't see what this has to do with being sad, they're first in the Western Conference

They have no standout star and are in the Western Conference which means they get precisely zero media coverage.

Eastern Conference 4 lyf.
Quote by RU Experienced?
They have no standout star and are in the Western Conference which means they get precisely zero media coverage.

Eastern Conference 4 lyf.

Yet their goaltending has been immaculate... Can you say the same for the Craps?
Quote by wizards?
Yet their goaltending has been immaculate... Can you say the same for the Craps?
I'm more concerned about our defense than our goaltending. Both have been suspect this year. Anywho, you must have missed Holtby shutting down the adjectives yesterday and looking ghetto fabolous doing so.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
well then, i know an internet celebrity! i even have his phone number!

i feel special.

Brilliant. Ask him how it feels to feel famous.