Alright, so im in a band, for the first time. Two loud ass guitars, plus drums don't take too kindly to a dean edge with chrome flats, and a 15 watt amp, so i figured i'd put the rest of my money (about 450 usd) to good use. What i plan to get is a squier affinity jazz 5er, and a peavy max 40 watt amp. This is my first major bass purchace, and i don't really want to screw up, because i have my band now, so do you think this is a good plan? Thanks for all input in advance.
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
if you are in a loud band, you will be better off buying just an amp, since it's the one that will LET you be in the band. bass amps needs a whole lot more than 40W. you should be thinking about getting somewhat between the 100-200 watts range, and more if possible. remember, it won't hurt to get more watts. I don't know if you will be able to go for head and cab, but i recommend you to buy a good 1X15" used cab and something like a GK mb200, hartke ha2500 ha 3500 or lh500, and some other amps that other people would recommed.

volume depends 100% of your amp, not of your bass. and if your bass is in good shape and you like it, i'd say it's better to invest in the amp. particularly because an affinity bass can't be considered much of an upgrade. while changing your amp, will be.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
if you are in a loud band, you will be better off buying just an amp, since it's the one that will LET you be in the band. bass amps needs a whole lot more than 40W. you should be thinking about getting somewhat between the 100-200 watts range, and more if possible. remember, it won't hurt to get more watts. I don't know if you will be able to go for head and cab, but i recommend you to buy a good 1X15" used cab and something like a GK mb200, hartke ha2500 ha 3500 or lh500, and some other amps that other people would recommed.

volume depends 100% of your amp, not of your bass. and if your bass is in good shape and you like it, i'd say it's better to invest in the amp. particularly because an affinity bass can't be considered much of an upgrade. while changing your amp, will be.

A head and cab, i think would be a bit much for me. The only reason i sant that squier is because ive always wanted a fiver. I'll probably invest in a good amp, and wait till next year to drop more cash on a good fiver.
Quote by Stranglehold

Quote by stevebomb
My bassist had the same problem. He just a had a walmart starter pack type thing. Ended up getting an Acoustic combo amp. theyre pretty cheap new and have a decent sound to them. if you found one used you could probably still have enough money to get a new bass. or just replace the pickups in your current one.
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
read the faq 40 watts is a 100% pointless upgrade, as is a new bass.

You need pure volume, used. I thought you hung around here enough to know that :p
New plan: gk microbass combo 200 watt, and get myself set up with a mic. Use the rest on whatever...
Quote by Stranglehold

Quote by stevebomb
Last edited by ETHANEVIL at Mar 27, 2012,
Quote by askrere
read the faq 40 watts is a 100% pointless upgrade, as is a new bass.

You need pure volume, used. I thought you hung around here enough to know that :p

I read a lot of stuff, but i this is the first time i've actually had to apply it....i tend to mindlessly dissregard what i've learned and totally focus on my problem, and make it a total dillema. Stupid i know, but thats how i function somehow...
Quote by Stranglehold

Quote by stevebomb
Quote by ETHANEVIL
New plan: gk microbass combo 200 watt, and get myself set up with a mic. Use the rest on whatever...

much better plan. i assume you are going to try it at a store... but IF I WERE YOU, i'd do something like that. good luck!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
300 watts solid state or 200 watts tube/valve for live band work.
Bass will come later.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn