Thinking of getting it just to do a lot of my first mods on. Would anybody recommend doing so? I have 400 bucks on my Guitar Center account so yeah, would this be a good idea? Or should I just buy a decent electric to play with now and mod it later on with the help of the thread already on here? Oh that's another thing, how good are the threads on modding tutorials or just like explaining the steps to doing different stuff? Yeah, lots of questions but remember I'm a newb to the site
Save up for something better. That's what I would do.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
g-400 or epi lp standard
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
I have actually thought of buying one of those cheap Epiphome juniors for something similar. I love the way they look and I much prefer bolt-on necks to set necks. I'd say if you can find one that you like and that plays decently go ahead. I think people overestimate the importance of tonewoods when it comes to electric guitars. Just make sure you find one with a good neck. That's the most important thing if you're going to be replacing everything including tuners and electronics.
Quote by fuzzpedal
I have actually thought of buying one of those cheap Epiphome juniors for something similar. I love the way they look and I much prefer bolt-on necks to set necks. I'd say if you can find one that you like and that plays decently go ahead. I think people overestimate the importance of tonewoods when it comes to electric guitars. Just make sure you find one with a good neck. That's the most important thing if you're going to be replacing everything including tuners and electronics.

to an extent, yes, people do overestimated the importance of tonewoods, but that doesn't mean they don't matter. the tonewood only really gives a subtle underlying quality the tone, but if that is crap then there's still going to be something inherently crap about the guitar's sound that you are never going to be able to change. the pickups can only pick up what qualities are already present within the sound.

better quality pickups and hardware are most likely to only make the shortcomings of the guitar itself more obvious, too. it's kinda the same as why the "good guitar into shitty amp vs shitty guitar into good amp" argument is flawed.

edit: having said that, is anyone entirely certain that the guitar the TS is talking about is actually made of plywood? i've seen SG specials made of plywood, but never SG juniors. Gibson recently issued SG junior and SG special reissues in their '60s tribute line, and i know epiphone are making a '61 SG special reissue with similar specs, maybe they did a junior reissue like this too?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Mar 27, 2012,