Windowpane by Opeth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UxS6r49OlY

It starts out with an Eminor add9 I believe?

0...low E string (6th)

**But since this song uses a Capo on 2nd fret...its actually an F#minor add 9.

And then the solo kicks in at 1:35 over this F#minor riff and it sounds like the solo is
just in F# minor with a few chromatic accidentals thrown in for tension.

The verse riff @ 1:00 is just a C# suspended 2 chord it sounds like being arppegiated with some open strings...(Remember...there is a capo on second fret so move these notes up 2 frets)

2...A string (5th string)

The fact that the chord is suspended (no 3rd) makes the C# (the v chord) ambiguous in terms of being Major or minor (fitting for the song).

At 2:32...the chord in the background is a G minor (G ,Bb,D)...and the notes being played over top are B, A, E...the Major 3rd (B) over the flat 3rd in the chord (Bb) gives a blues type dissonance...I am not sure why the Major 6th (E) sounds good over the chord though...a #13 possibly? I am unsure of this whole section...just guessing here...

Also...why does the song even go to G minor...Diatonic to F#...it would be G# diminshed. The G# diminshed is often changed to a G#minor...but like I said...the chord is a G minor?? Is this simply just a key change to the key of G minor? If so, then why were the notes B, A and E chosen...why not play notes Diatonic to G minor (G, A , Bb, C, D Eb, F) ? Is it related to what I said above?

And then if you keep listening to this section...there is what sounds like a key change at 2:42...where a G#minor is indeed being played in the background but then the notes over this chord are changed to C, (A#) Bb, F...again anyone know why these notes were played rather than notes in G# minor (G#, A#, B, C#, D#, E, F#)

Finally...the final solo section at 4:42 goes back to the main key of the song (F# minor) and the rhythm is playing a progression of F#minor, D Major 7 (i, VI in key of F# minor)...the on the last few bars...an F diminshed (F, Ab, Cb) to F#minor...(F# A, C#...therefore, the diminshed resolves nicely to the F minor since it is only chromatically a semitone away from each of the notes in the F# minor triad except the 5th where it a tone away)

Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated...still learning so any comments would be great! Thankyou
Last edited by dvm25 at Mar 26, 2012,