Local music store has a used American Standard Jazz Bass, obviously been used quite a bit. Has some dings, knick, scratches, belt rash etc. Has EMG pickups. Asking $630.

Whats your guys opinions? I'd love to have an American Jazz, but honestly about $500 is my limit, which I know I'm likely not going to find one. But I could MAYBE squeeze out for it. Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks in advance.
no, unless it sounds and feels amazing and perfect to you.

But I am not a fan of active, and even less of EMG's for some reason.

I'm all for used, but if it's just because it's an American jazz to say you owned a real fender, I'd say no. A beat to hell bass with non stock pickups is hardly the bass you really want (again I think?).

Edit: I'd say if you had to have it, stress the fact it's beat to hell and and not factory stock. You can find used American Fenders pretty often for around $600 from people who need to make rent and bills.
Last edited by askrere at Mar 27, 2012,
you'll be able to talk them down unless it's a guitar center or something similar. Show them 500 cash and they'll probably take it
Yea it actually was at Guitar Center. The $630 was with them being talked down a little. It has a $700 sticker on it, but i chatted with the sales manager and he said they could knock 10% off it. Which to me still seems a bit high for the condition it is in. I will say regardless of the looks of the bass it plays really well, setup nice, good tone. My concern is its wore out.
Quote by clokwise
My concern is its wore out.

They are still high, but there is a difference in worn and broke.
I moved the knobs no crackles, plugged right in and went to wailing. Sounded good. May be best to pass it up if I have to think this much about it

But just wanted to ask some opinions.