Props if you get the reference.
Now what do you think is the guitar equivalent?

What guitar brand or model do you think no one should go without if they want to be a true guitarist? I expect quite a bit of variation among you lot. But in my opinion, nothing beats a Standard Fender Strat. I know, way to be original, but there is just something about that quintessential shape and style that just defines all of guitar playing, however diverse it may be. So versatile, so classic, I just can't reconcile how one can call themselves a guitarist and not own one, or at the very least appreciate its classic influence. It was my first guitar and still is my favorite "go to" guitar.

But thats me. I'm curious what you all think.
everybody needs at least one wangcaster or their tone will have no balls.

fact.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
You've got it all wrong- Fender Strats & Teles and Gibson LPs are the Fords or Chevys of the guitar world. They may be classics, but they are produced in huge numbers, sold worldwide. They are mainstream & dependably predictable.

Alas look incredible, idiosynchratic and are capable of delivering fantastic automotive experiences...until something goes wrong. Which it will, because it is an Alfa.

So the guitar-Alfa must be both beautiful and playable, but also known for having some aspect that is not what you'd expect from a guitar of that apparent quality. Perhaps it will have substandard pickups, or use a terrible tremolo bar. Maybe their tuners are cheap or the wiring is shoddy.

So, for instance, Carvins are well made in general, but a lot of people knock their pickups (nobody I know personally, though). Some might thus call them the Alfas of guitars, even though I wouldn't.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Let's just say that if you tell a small child to draw an electric guitar he'll draw a strat, although the LP and Tele are certainly both iconic too. Not that I have plans to get any of those 3 guitars.

^ In that case I might say PRS.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Mar 27, 2012,
Someone has been taking TG a little bit too seriously.

This whole 'you need this guitar to be a true musician' thing is a load of shit. Its all preference.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Hmm well Alfa Romeo were once a giant. Enzo Ferrari used to race for Alfa after all.
Alfas are seen to be built with passion but executed with frailty, and are not too common for this reason.

I would venture that something like a Danelectro is a guitarhead's guitar
Why do you have to compare cars with guitars?
Apples and oranges people. . .
"I wanted water but I'll walk through the fire"
Personally, I think everyone should own a Tele. What I think you're getting at TS, is that to be a true gear head you need an exotic, beautiful looking, high quality guitar, which means you should get a hand crafted guitar made by a luthier. Now, because there are so many luthiers around the world, making all kind of guitars, everyone is able to get their "Alfa Romeo" guitar.

tl;dr: Because your question is so specific, the answer is so vague on what a gear-head's m"Alfa Romeo" would be.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I think Gibson's are the Alfa's of guitar.

Beautiful looking and sounding guitars, but they can be unreliable, inconsistent which can cause you to pull your hair out over them. But when the stars align and you get a good one, there is no other guitar out there that does it for you better.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by The Judist
Hmm well Alfa Romeo were once a giant. Enzo Ferrari used to race for Alfa after all.
Alfas are seen to be built with passion but executed with frailty, and are not too common for this reason.

I would venture that something like a Danelectro is a guitarhead's guitar

I like that answer.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Alfas are ugly.....
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Someone has been taking TG a little bit too seriously.

This whole 'you need this guitar to be a true musician' thing is a load of shit. Its all preference.

"It's all preference" is the answer to sooooo many threads on this site it's unbelievable.

I've never been convinced about TG saying that about Alfa's anyway - most of my friends consider me to be a bit of a petrolhead but I've never owned one. Not sure I consider myself to be one though, more just someone who likes good cars.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
"It's all preference" is the answer to sooooo many threads on this site it's unbelievable.

I've never been convinced about TG saying that about Alfa's anyway - most of my friends consider me to be a bit of a petrolhead but I've never owned one. Not sure I consider myself to be one though, more just someone who likes good cars.

I'm the same way. To be honest I don't really like Alfas either. And dannyalcatraz is right. A Fender Strat isn't the Alfa Romero of guitars. But that doesn't change how feel about them.

I guess it's also what you're raised on. My Strat was the only electric guitar I had for 5 years. For five years all I did was play. I didn't care about tone, or pickups, versitility or anything else to distract myself from just developing skill. My thought was "this is my guitar, I'm going to learn to play it". I never tried to blame my painfully slow process on anything. The guitar part of my brain was developed solely by my Start. Then I picked up a Gibson Explorer and a few years later a Ibanez S prestige. Now I'm a tone freak and am constantly buying and modding guitars. But I still look back to a Strat as the perfect guitar.

It's like when you hear older guys reminisce about their dream cars of their childhood. The early years of me learning guitar is kinda like childhood of guitar playing. I was fortunate enough to learn on something great to begin with. If I had started out with some piece of crap that had bad playability maybe I'd have given it up. I consider myself pretty picky so If I still love it after 9 years it's gotta be good.
Any guitar you are most adapted to and can perform the best with . To be honest, I would say the best guitar is one that you genuinely love to play, and even just to look at.

There's lots of great, "true" guitarists who may not have the money for an upscale guitar, or maybe prefer whatever they started out with, etc etc.

Strats are always great, but I liked the thicker neck and "feel" of the Jaguar more, so I bought that instead, and used it for just about everything from pop to slam metal for a long time

Just recently I picked up a Charvel DS-1 for teh beefiness. Gibsons always physically felt a bit awkward and hard to "synchronize" with to me (though I really wanted a white explorer for a long time), and same with "shredder" guitars. So this guy really gives me a comfortable zone to work with, and it's just so fun to play !
Quote by GaryBillington

Its such a popular answer because its the truth.
Quote by TheSennaj
Does anyone truly believe you need a certain guitar to be considered a true guitarist? If so, that's pretty sad, especially as the tones of Fenders and Gibsons are an acquired taste, like the tone of any guitar, I can't stand them, myself.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Its such a popular answer because its the truth.

If only we could get the people who create the pointless threads to realise that....
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
If only we could get the people who create the pointless threads to realise that....

1. Create a thread that says nothing else but "ITS ALL PREFERENCE!!"
2. Mod stickies it
3. ???
4. Profit!
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by CelestialGuitar
Does anyone truly believe you need a certain guitar to be considered a true guitarist? If so, that's pretty sad, especially as the tones of Fenders and Gibsons are an acquired taste, like the tone of any guitar, I can't stand them, myself.

I think you missed the point a bit. I didn't say you need a Strat to be a true guitarist. I'm asking what guitar (make or model) do you think no one should go without. There is no perfect guitar. Just like there is no perfect car. Guitar playing nowadays has become so diverse that this is a very open-ended question.
I agree with the opening post - any stratocaster shape. They're very common... too common.