I have moved to a 8 string and have been told my Mesa doesnt match up with a 8 string to well, I am thinking of getting a Engl Powerball, Money is no matter, as i will deal with a combo amp til I can save for what I want, No point in buying something cause its cheaper. I want honest opinions if a Engl is my best choice, or if my Mesa should be fine. I have been told several different things but thats on websites of ENGL and Mesa. Always biased, I prefer somebody answering who has been a gear head and knows what they are talking about. I will have a Agile 8 String with Bareknuckle Painkillers. If that helps ya out at all. Thanks alot. Also I have the oversized mesa cab, keep or sell for a engl also??
i have seen alot of 8 string players going to fractal audio axe-fx II. that may be a rout you might want to consider.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Well time to sound like a noob.... : ( what? I am not new to guitars by any means, but I have never been that big into my gear until just recently. Could you possibly explain that to me ?
Nevermind I am researching now, Thanks man, I will definitely check into these. Seems different and definitely Cool as hell.
You may want to sell your OS cab and get a Stilleto cab. The extra bass in an OS cab can make things difficult to deal with with the low end of an 8 string.

As for amp... what kind of tones do you want?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Kk, I just looked into that, So i probably dont want any brand of oversized cabinet? I want the leads that born of osiris,Meshuggah, and after the burial has. I know 8 strings kinda make up most of that. But as rhythm goes, I want Chunk of course but not an over abundance of it like most bands do today, theirs definitely a limit. I do want clarity when im on the top string. So While Im hitting different notes its not all coming in as a big blur. That has always bugged me and made me stay away from 7 and 8 strings.
Looks like BOO uses Powerballs through Orange and Vader cabinets.

Meshuggah sounds pretty processed to me, I know they used Vetta II's, and how they use Axe FX.

AtB also use Axe FX.

Do you need a clean/crunch channel? You could look into the standard 6505 (non +), which should give you some really tight percussive tones. As for Engl, either the Fireball or Powerball. I prefer the Powerball myself (it's the only Engl I really like).

I guess the ideal would be to save up for an Axe FX II. I wasn't a fan of the original AF, but apparently the II sounds way better and fixes the things that were wrong with the original (weird mid range honk going on).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yea i figured meshuggah was processed some. And I want a clean but no crunch, that always seemed real pointless to me.
Quote by BornOfTravis
I have moved to a 8 string and have been told my Mesa doesnt match up with a 8 string to well, I am thinking of getting a Engl Powerball, Money is no matter, as i will deal with a combo amp til I can save for what I want, No point in buying something cause its cheaper. I want honest opinions if a Engl is my best choice, or if my Mesa should be fine. I have been told several different things but thats on websites of ENGL and Mesa. Always biased, I prefer somebody answering who has been a gear head and knows what they are talking about. I will have a Agile 8 String with Bareknuckle Painkillers. If that helps ya out at all. Thanks alot. Also I have the oversized mesa cab, keep or sell for a engl also??

If you do go for an Engl PB... make sure it is the PBII with the black front panel. Much better sounding than the old silver/chrome panel models.

You might also want to checkout a Fireball 100 and or Savage 120, because they also kick-ass and I like them a bit more than even the PBII.

Also ditch the Mesa cab for either a Bogner UberKab, Fryette Fatbottom, or Engl Pro 4X12. The OS Mesa Recto cabs sound too dark, muddy, bassy, and undefined especially with an 8 string.
Yea, i saw the two different powerballs, and wasnt sure which one I would go for at all. Yea ill check those two out, I believe the fireball is cheaper too. Yea, I will definitely be selling the cabinet too, I bought it cause of the bass response it has and now wit ha 8 string it hit me that wouldnt be too good lol. Sucks being from a small town I cant go try this stuff out lol. Thanks to everybody posting, your really helping me out.
No need to get rid of your Mesa if you want my opinion.
I'm not a fan of the rectifier series, but just tweek it correctly and it'll sound as good as an Engl with your low tuning.
I've owned Engl Thunder, Fireball 60, Blackmore, Savage 120, Powerball II and both preamps and they're not my favorite amps to use with 7/8 string guitars.
On most Mesa amps, bass past 10 o'clock is no good, so turn that down. Get something like an OD808 or tubescreamer to tighten the sound, and maybe a multi-band EQ in the loop to finetweek even more.
^ On that note, what kind of Rec do you have? If you have a 3 channel, you could get a better high gain sound if you traded for a 2 channel, or one of the new MultiWatts. The 2 channel is probably more ideal though since you said you don't care about crunch.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Oh. Well never mind then!

Well, try trading your cab first for something non OS, and see if that does anything for you. Are you running an OD and an EQ? That can make a huge difference.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Nuh uh, All I have is a NS2. I have been meaning to get a EQ for a while but just didnt lol
^^ You might want to try an OD first, even before an EQ -- but get one of those too!

The OD will put an "edge" on your sound and tighten up the low-end, which you'll want with an 8-string. My TS-9 is on nearly all the time!
I also think that the boogie will do what you want if you work with it. No need to get a completely new amp when you already have a good one. Like Offworld said, a new cab will help quite a bit, and an EQ and overdrive are good investments no matter what type of amp you have, so i would pick those up. The painkillers will keep your tone pretty tight, that plus a good tubescreamer style overdrive used as a boost should get you a nice tight tone. Born of Osiris and After the Burial don't have the super tight tone that a lot of djent stuff has if you listen, theres is a little closer to typical metalcore, but not quite there, so I think you will be able to get what you are looking for without a new amp.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Even with a boost and an eq... The Recto will still not have the definition on an Engl PB or Fireball. I've owned 6 Dual Rectos, 2 Roadsters, and 2 Triples. Mesa Rectos are dark amps. Engls are much brighter with lots more cut. 2 Totally different sounds.

Yes... A boost will help. But it won't totally change the basic voicing of your amp.

YMMV.
Rectos arent that dark........ The roadster is the darkest sounding recto IIRC but in general theyre not really dark.

TS could deff make his recto work for 7 strings. 8 nottoo sure of but prolly with the right approach. Plus its a 2ch triple. Prolly one of the tightest rectos out there
Quote by Seanthesheep
Rectos arent that dark........ The roadster is the darkest sounding recto IIRC but in general theyre not really dark.

TS could deff make his recto work for 7 strings. 8 nottoo sure of but prolly with the right approach. Plus its a 2ch triple. Prolly one of the tightest rectos out there

Actually the 2010 and newer Duals/Triples with 100W/50W switch on the front are the tightest sounding.

But if I was playing an 8 string I'd go for something like a Fryette Ultra-Lead. The tightest tube amp out there.
I am leaning towards a 7 string now, as I found the exact same Agile as the 8 string i wanted, that comes with blackouts, and a ebony fretboard and neck thru. Instead of shitty cepheus pick ups, rosewood and bolt on. My mesa does sound pretty dark like he mentioned, it was the main reason I got it ha. But I will get these pedals before I just sell it.
Get the pedals and get the 7 first before making any decisions you may find you dont need anything else

Speaking of new rectos btw..... Friday Im having a shootout of the mini rec and the mini 5153 through my theile cab. Gonna use 7 strings too. Gonna report back with results.