I'm sure many of you are familiar with the budget guitar site Rondomusic. Well I was looking at this guitar http://www.rondomusic.com/furrianmnalder3ts.html">http://www.rondomusic.com/furrianmnalder3ts.html

I've always loved teles, and was looking for a decent project guitar. Would this be a decent guitar, especially with upgrades and customization? Or should I just go for a classic vibe? Anyone played a sx before?
I'd stick with the classic vibe. The hardware on the SX is pretty much guaranteed to be trash, and I doubt the the quality of the craftsmanship/wood will be much better.

The vibe's are nice because they have the potential to be very nice guitars with a pickup change and a good setup. I'm not seeing that much at all with the SX.
Thanks guys. And I've played the CV, and my god I loved it, but this guitar would be HEAVILY customized, more so for the experience and making the guitar mine than just having one to have one. I will probably put as much into it (or close to) as I would spend on a classic vibe. I want to get into modding is basically what I'm saying, and would this be a good platform? The only thing I'd have to upgrade on a Classic Vibe personally would be hotter pickups. Probably should have explained better in the initial post.
Well even as a moding platform the CV would be better. One of the things that keeps me from getting a furrian is that I would want to put a full sized humbucker in it but no after market bridge fits the furrian due to the staggered ferrules.
SX guitars are great. I just got a SX Hawk a couple of weeks ago and love it.

I can only assume the Furrian would be equally as good (I'm not a fan of the Tele styles..)
If you buy a budget guitar, you're going to get a budget guitar. That's about all I can say.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
If you buy a budget guitar, you're going to get a budget guitar. That's about all I can say.

One of these kids is you, right?
Hey TS!

I bought a semi hollow SX Furrian about a year ago, so if your curious for more information here's the link to my review/project approach to it.

In short - I absolutely adore mine especially after I've done some very minor work to it, though I can't say I have much experience with a Classic Vibe.

Feel free to PM me questions if you have any
Quote by xander307
that wasnt scary daryldom, it turned me on

Proud Canadian Eh?
Considering I'm on a tight budget, and really want the experience of modding almost everything that can be modded, I think I'm going for the furrian. It's a bit higher end of a model than the basic furrian, it's the alder one, so the wood should at least be good.
Do you have a basic idea of exactly what kind of mods you want to do?

I can use my own and get measurements of certain pieces to make sure sizes will line up with mods you intend to do. Some of these imported guitars don't fit the usual standardized measurements, though I've yet to have a problem myself.
Quote by xander307

Proud Canadian Eh?
Relicing, Replacing saddles, Putting in a bone nut, tea-bag tinting the neck, new pick-ups, pots, gold hardware.
Quote by JDRed
Relicing, Replacing saddles, Putting in a bone nut, tea-bag tinting the neck, new pick-ups, pots, gold hardware.

If you put a new bridge on it you will have to either redrill the holes on the body for the strings or drill new holes in the bridge or go with a non string through bridge like whats on the affinity telecaster.
Quote by jugglingfreak

Looks like someone was really looking hard for an excuse to post that picture. Not relevant in any way.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Strats&Cats

The vibe's are nice because they have the potential to be very nice guitars with a pickup change and a good setup. I'm not seeing that much at all with the SX.

Actually after a proper setup the SX guitars are very solid, and they are well built. The hardware isnt great but its reliable. The issue with the Tele's as im mentioned before though is that they now use staggered ferrules making a bridge replacement a big hassle.

Also he all ready said he was changing hardware so why would it matter if it was all junk?

Still the CV is superior but both are good guitars.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Mar 28, 2012,
Quote by JDRed

I've replaced the nut and saddles on my own without any issue as well as redoing some of the electronics, so the only issue is if you replace the bridge as said above.

Besides that, all the power to you! I adore mine so hopefully it works out for you if you go for it.
Quote by xander307

Proud Canadian Eh?
Quote by jugglingfreak

hahaha you just made my week with this
I'm into two things when it comes to my music--- breakdowns and Jesus
Bugera 333XL
Line 6 m13
ISP Tech Decimator