Hi. I'm a bassist and I'm trying to properly set up a gigging rig, and I need some advice with properly setting up my effects to allow easy/consistent manouvering, but to create a tidy floor space by minimising leads running around my feet.

Just to make it clear, cost is not necessarily a boundary but keep suggestions reasonable.

Currently, I'm running my bass directly into a wireless > wireless to pedals > pedals to amp.

Only recently have I decided that I need some pedals on the floor at the middle of my desired effects chain, and it's causing me a few headaches.

What I want to do is basically:

Bass Guitar > Wireless Transmitter > Wireless Receiver v
Tuner (Stack) > Distortion (Floor) > Wah (Floor) > Other effects (Stack) > Amp.

I'm trying to find the cleanest solution to keep the distortion and wah at the front of the stage while still remaining in loop without the need to bring my entire effect chain to the front of the stage as well.

The easiest option is to buy a couple of 10 metre leads and use them as long patch cables, but I'd like other solutions IF they do exist.

Any help is appreciated.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
I'm pretty sure thats your only option other than actually putting the wireless reciever on your pedalboard which works with the smaller ones but not that convenient if its a rack mounted reciever.
Somebody makes a 6 channel wireless link. There's 6 cables gone in one hit. You'd just need one cable to go from FX send back to your pedalboard. I can't remember who makes it, Line 6 maybe? Somebody will know.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 27, 2012,
Rack-mounted receiver, correct.
Makes it a problem :/
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
I can't remember. Why would that be a problem? I used to use a small rack with a combo. Actually even before that I had a rack unit mounted to the top of my amp with two right angled brackets.
Now I just have my amp built into a rack.
Is that the problem? You know that "once you go rack you don't go back" thing and you are scared of the temptation? I've seen that before. Guy buys a 3U rack case just for one device. Next thing you know he's buying a 6 rack case because he ran out of room in the 3RU one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have the rack space so that isn't an issue hahahaha. Running amp, power strip, cooling, wireless and a pedal shelf with ample room for other bits and pieces (just need an army to carry the damn thing... or a crane XD)

I think I may just have to put two long cables in the middle of the chain from the back to the front of the stage to run the two pedals I want on stage, even though it's the option I want to avoid. I cant really picture any solutions besides running another wireless system which seems kinda pointless.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I've used a stereo cable with two mono plugs for the FX loop before. You could use a couple of Y cable splitters (single stereo female to dual mono males) too if they are long enough, better to make your own. Then you can have exactly like you want.
Use heatshrink for your cable joints where you split off the two monos. What you do is grab two sizes. One to go over the individual joints and a larger one that will go over both. If your soldering is good they'll last for decades, the plugs will probably fail first.

The simple way is to just use cable ties every few feet and run two cables as one bundled cable. As long as you coil them up properly (so they'll lay flat under their own weight) they'll stay neat and untwisted for years. Next best thing to one stereo cable but easier to make.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard, that actually does help. I have worked with heatshrink many times in the past (helping do marine wiring and shit like that), and the cable-tie method could actually work better if I was to run a strips of heatshrink over the two cables, since they will always be starting and ending at the same point no matter what the setup is, but either way, it would work.

What I have done is actually looked into effects loop splitters, basically a bypass for a chain within a chain, cheap and will help me switch on/off multiple pedals at once which will help as the distortion will only ever be active with the wah.

The only question for me that remains is do I run a daisy chain to a power supply at the front of the stage or run an extension lead to a daisy chain to the power strip on my amp - might just be tidier to keep it at the front I think.

Instrument playing aside, just making this shit work is fun.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
Well, it is always nice to keep your mains voltage away from your feet if you can. Beer conducts. I just have a footcontroller and wah at my feet onstage. Depends on how you do it. Be aware of where your mains connectors are relative to the splash zone and you're pretty ok.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 27, 2012,
adding 20 meters of cable is probably not a good thing, as far as noise is concerned. If you want to go that route, I suggest some Tech-Flex sleeving for the cables. It's cheap, and looks slick. It's fairly fast to use as well, it expands when you push the stuff together, and springs back when you let go.

Here's an example:

There is also the PedalSnake. YOu could also buy snake cable with as many conductors as you need and solder up some connectors.

Have you thought about getting a switcher, like the GCX? That way you just have to run a ground control pro or other midi controller to the front of the stage, and the wah. Have all your pedals and stuff hooked up in a rack shelf or two. You could even power the controller through the midi cable.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra