rephrase your question?
an accidental only applies if it appears within a certain octave? no

an accidental is just a note that requires a sharp or a flat.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Mar 27, 2012,
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
rephrase your question?
an accidental only applies if it appears within a certain octave? no

an accidental is just a note that requires a sharp or a flat.
I know what an accidental is and that it carries to all octaves if in a time signature. I'm asking about an accidental sign in the middle of a measure or something.
Quote by luxeion
I know what an accidental is and that it carries to all octaves if in a key signature. I'm asking about an accidental sign in the middle of a measure or something.

Accidentals that appear in a measure only apply to one octave. You may however see a courtesy accidental.
Quote by mdc
Accidentals that appear in a measure only apply to one octave. You may however see a courtesy accidental.
Key signature, oops, thanks.. xD. Will it carry on with tie notes across measures too?
Quote by luxeion
Key signature, oops, thanks.. xD. Will it carry on with tie notes across measures too?

Yes, if an accidental is tied across a bar line, then it remains in effect until the tied note has finished sounding. If a different accidental is used on the same pitch, the new accidental will cancel the old one.
Quote by mdc
Yes, if an accidental is tied across a bar line, then it remains in effect until the tied note has finished sounding. If a different accidental is used on the same pitch, the new accidental will cancel the old one.
So it will be in effect until the measure ends, or until the tie note finishes if it is in one. You answered my question clearly and added some info i didn't know.. You have been very helpful! tyyy >c:< ;u; <33
Quote by luxeion
So it will be in effect until the measure ends, or until the tie note finishes if it is in one. You answered my question clearly and added some info i didn't know.. You have been very helpful!

With a tie, yes, only for it's duration. Any notes thereafter will require an accidental.

S'just a major scale with accidentals. Sorry!
tyyy >c:< ;u; <33

What does this mean? I'm not great with forum slang.
If you had an accidental in two different octaves, I'd notate both of them. It just makes more sense to me.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221