I'm gonna buy my first half stack soon and I'm gonna go for the Marshall Valvestate 8100 head. But i'm not sure what kind of cab to buy for it. Should I buy the original cab too? Or are there better marshall cabs to choose from? I play death metal and i'm looking for a super tight crunchy sound. I don't know much about amps but I like the sound of the valvestate it's metal as hell.
Quote by uncle_sprinter
I'm gonna buy my first half stack soon and I'm gonna go for the Marshall Valvestate 8100 head. But i'm not sure what kind of cab to buy for it. Should I buy the original cab too? Or are there better marshall cabs to choose from? I play death metal and i'm looking for a super tight crunchy sound. I don't know much about amps but I like the sound of the valvestate it's metal as hell.

I'll keep it short. The valvestate sucks. Try the 6505 112 combo or 6505/5150 head, just to name a few. There's literally dozens of better amps in that price range.
+1 to this ^

Unless you're dead set on the valvestate (or your planning on playing at bedroom volumes/etc) you could pretty surely do better. The 6505 is used a lot in metal for good reason, it has a good heavy sound. And a lot of metal bands throw a tube screamer in front of it (Maxon OD808, Ibanez TS9, etc) to tighten up the sound.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Marshall's Valvestate series is really sub-par compared to other heads within the same price range.
Cleans are decent, but not great.
Overdriven tone is just meh.

Honestly, I'd be looking at a different amp.
If you're dead set on the Valvestate though, Laney makes some good cabinets.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Agreed. Valvestates have some uses but death metal is not one of them.

A 6505 head will probably be out of your budget unless you go used, but even so I would highly recommend it.

If you are happy with a 1x12 combo go for the 6505+ combo. Don't be fooled by the fact that it is a 1x12, it is EASILY the loudest, most powerful and best sounding combo I have played.
Quote by Random3
Agreed. Valvestates have some uses but death metal is not one of them.

A 6505 head will probably be out of your budget unless you go used, but even so I would highly recommend it.

If you are happy with a 1x12 combo go for the 6505+ combo. Don't be fooled by the fact that it is a 1x12, it is EASILY the loudest, most powerful and best sounding combo I have played.

You know Chuck Schuldiner used an 8100 head, right?

I personally agree with the 6505+ 112 rec though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
You know Chuck Schuldiner used an 8100 head, right?

I personally agree with the 6505+ 112 rec though.

Chuck Schuldiner is the reason why I wanna buy the Valvestate. But as I said before I really do like the sound I get out of it. It'll be my bedroom amp also.

The 6505 combo I considered too, but I don't wanna fool around with a tube amp. If I blow a tube it'll be real costly and that i'm trying to avoid.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTwl8AmG8gQ
this vid's why I want the valve state. Such a gnarley tone.
Last edited by uncle_sprinter at Mar 27, 2012,
Quote by uncle_sprinter
Chuck Schuldiner is the reason why I wanna buy the Valvestate. But as I said before I really do like the sound I get out of it. It'll be my bedroom amp also.

The 6505 combo I considered too, but I don't wanna fool around with a tube amp. If I blow a tube it'll be real costly and that i'm trying to avoid.

Tubes aren't costly and you don't have to replace them that much. Especially if you aren't cranking your amp all the time.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Tubes aren't costly and you don't have to replace them that much. Especially if you aren't cranking your amp all the time.

Seconded. Ideally, it'll cost you $60 every 4 or 5 years to retube an amp with some halfway decent tubes.
Quote by uncle_sprinter

He's tried it and decided it's the amp he wants.

Why should he change his mind because a random bunch of people on the internet have a different opinion?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
He's tried it and decided it's the amp he wants.

Why should he change his mind because a random bunch of people on the internet have a different opinion?

We're giving suggestions. We can by no means make him do anything. It's his decision at the end of the day.

Also, just because he likes how it sounds doesn't mean he's tried any other amps. Remember, everybody thinks the Spider 3 is awesome so long as it's the only thing they try.
True that. My stuid Spider sounds ok until I play it next to something else. Doing that makes me hate it until I forget how bad it sounds again lol.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Yeah but if you aren't cranking it (which he wouldn't be) then it might be a bit harder to get a good death metal sound.

*shrug*

As others have said, the 6505 or some other tube amp would probably be better a bet but if you are set on the Valvestate then go for it. Clearly you can get some tones that you like out of it and at the end of the day that's all that matters. I have an ENGL tube amp which I love dearly but I still love the rectifier channel on my little roland cube for bedroom playing.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
I'm not going to try and convert you from the amp. Its okay.

as for the cab, what is your budget? Have you played different cabs (there is a huge range of cabs out there, and they sound very different)? any speaker preference?
Quote by Random3
I'm going to assume that wasn't the one I've played then, it sounded pretty terrible.

There are 3 different lines of Valvestates.
the 8xxx series is the best, and the oldest (early 90s).
the VSxx series is newer (late 90s) and isn't as good.
the AVT series is the current series and blows serious chunks.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeOJ4g03ytc&feature=related

Awh man that sounds great! But as for the cabinets, I really don't know what to look for. I can get a Valvestate on the cheap (like 220 at Guitar Center). I have a grand total of 500 to work with, the cab does not necessarily have to be a 4x12 either I'm open to 2x12's too. But I wanna get as tight of sound I can find.
Quote by uncle_sprinter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeOJ4g03ytc&feature=related

Awh man that sounds great! But as for the cabinets, I really don't know what to look for. I can get a Valvestate on the cheap (like 220 at Guitar Center). I have a grand total of 500 to work with, the cab does not necessarily have to be a 4x12 either I'm open to 2x12's too. But I wanna get as tight of sound I can find.

did you happen to read this:

"Metal Rhythms, Leads and Cleans
Marshall Valvestate Vs100
Boss OD-2
Morley Pro Series One Wah Pedal

Channel Overdrive 2
Gain: 8
Contour: 0
Bass: 7
Mid: 7
Treble: 10

Boost: Boss Overdrive OD-2
Level: Max
Tone: 2 oclock
Gain: 9 oclock
(never changed these settings)

Pickups: Seymour Duncan Alt8, JB, and JB8

this is 90% of my old riffs and mini projects i did with this amp.
i know they arent the best, but it shows the amp can do metal,
some lite rock and decent cleans.

Tuning was either D standard or C#

at the time i was using a Sovtek LPS 12ax7 tube in this amp. i felt it was the best tube to make it heavier with a cleaner saturation, but results may vary i assure you.
also used a 31band eq to boost the mids from 500hz up to give it more thickness. and again results may vary for that approach as well, it didnt always sound good. 99% of time what made it sound good was my post recording processing. "
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Honestly if you are a fan of later Death (Symbolic, Sound of Perseverance), no other amp is going to nail Chuck's tone perfectly like a Valvestate. Maybe an Ampeg VH140c, which is also good, but I don't recall Chuck ever using those.

If you are set on the 8100 I say get it; it was probably the only good SS amp Marshall ever made and will do later Death tone perfectly. It really seems that everyone here has a mentality that the only amp ever permitted to be used in any genre of metal is a Peavey 6505, and ONLY a 6505 and nothing else.

Personally, while I'd take a 5150/6505 head or 212 over a Valvestate 8100, I'd take the 8100 in a second over the cheapass 6505 112 combo.