Just from a new guitar, having trouble getting the plastic off around the tone + volume knobs, any help appreciated. Thanks (strat)
Haha thanks.
Last edited by Volcz at Mar 27, 2012,
it's plastic.. pull up part of it, cut a line through it and pull it off around the strings
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Fill your kitchen sink with hot soapy water and soak the guitar for about 10 mins, it will just peel off its self.

Seriously just gently pick at it or rub on the edges to get it to lift up - also if you pull the knobs off you will be able to get easy access to it.
Last edited by zero at Mar 27, 2012,
Are knobs ment to lock in @ max tone/volume (10) . Because my lower tone knob locks in at 10 and the the volume and front tone knobs dont.
it's not such a silly question, i've had 3 new strats over the years and agree that the film under the knobs is difficult to remove without taking the knobs off.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Volcz
Are knobs ment to lock in @ max tone/volume (10) . Because my lower tone knob locks in at 10 and the the volume and front tone knobs dont.

Adjust them however you like really. Max should be at 10 or whatever

The knobs can be pulled off by pulling them straight out if it's a strat model without a screw on the side of it.
They can be a bit finicky to get off, a trick I use is just take the handle from a plastic bag (or similar item!) and lay it around the knob like a noose...then just pull straight up... should come off without too much hassle.

After you have removed the plastic, just put them back on in the desired position.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Im not sure what you mean... do you mean just stop turning when they get to 10?
Do they stop turning at all? The knobs may not be installed in the correct spots - turn them until they stop and re-seat the knob to indicate 10.
Last edited by zero at Mar 27, 2012,
When they get to turn, its like they "locks into place" and its not easy to turn the knob back down, maybe to prevent accidental changes? But since taking the plastic off two of the knobs they stopped doing it, and the tone knob which still has plastic around it still does it, so maybe it was the plastic "locking it in".
Yeah sounds like it was just snagging on the plastic... With the plastic off they should turn smoothly in both directions with a defined stop point.
A good way of taking the volume and tone knobs off is to use a piece of string underneath it and pull. Don't pull too hard though, or you'll get a knob in your eye.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
Gently pull knobs up a bit by hand or leverage up with a spoon if you can manage to fit one under.
How do you pop it back on? Just slide it on?

Can I just use my hands to bring it off? Haha
Alright.....

I have never needed any more than my hands to remove a guitar knob, simply ensure it isn't held in by a grub screw (you will be able to see a hole with a little screw on the side of the knob if it is) if it is loosen the screw.

Get a solid grip on it and pull, it should just slide off, and yes it just slides back on - once you have removed it you will be able to see and understand how it works. Like some others have suggested if you cant get it off by hand slip a bit of string, plastic, cloth, naan bread, whatever under it and pull on that. Removing a knob is on about the same difficulty level as opening a guitar case, so you will be ok.

This thread has way to many 'thats what she said' lines in it.
I know what you mean. All Fenders come with these stickers on the Scratchpad that are almost impossible to remove. What I did was I just left it on and didn't bother to remove it because I was afraid of damaging the knobs. So I just left it on.

ron666
When you get to the part around the knobs, pull it carefully until the hole gets large enough and then maneuver it over the knob. Sometimes, the plastic will be underneath the nut of the pot, which means you have to usually remove the entire nut to remove all the plastic. If that's the case usually the only plastic that remains is properly under the knob.

And don't leave the shipping film on the pickguard, it's ugly and tacky.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Easy way to take off Strat knobs: Take a piece of ribbon (one somewhere between 1/4" and 1/2" works well) and wrap it around and under the knob in a shape like the breast cancer ribbon you see everywhere. Move them so they're wrapped around all the way and across from each other on the knob and yank up.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by Volcz
When they get to turn, its like they "locks into place" and its not easy to turn the knob back down, maybe to prevent accidental changes?
This actually is intentional on some pots. Fender use them on many guitars, most usually for a 'no load' tone control that clicks ''off' at 10.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.