Page 1 of 2
Hey pit, got any tips to successfully kick a smoking habit?
Crazier than a fish with titties.
Quote by Lord_Hondros
That was a great troll, and it made me laugh. Which then made me cause I was having a good time being scared shitless

Quote by behind_you
Grandfather clocks and jizz.
Pearl milk tea. I'm gonna kick the habit pretty soon meself, and my transitionary drug is going to be the wonderful Asian creation of pearl milk tea.

Have one of these a day and convince yourself that you've just smoked your daily dose of cigarettes. Shit works, trust me.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Pearl milk tea. I'm gonna kick the habit pretty soon meself, and my transitionary drug is going to be the wonderful Asian creation of pearl milk tea.

Have one of these a day and convince yourself that you've just smoked your daily dose of cigarettes. Shit works, trust me.

No shit? I do love pearl tea, and it's cheaper than smokes. I just need to find somewhere that sells it.
Quote by Lord_Hondros
That was a great troll, and it made me laugh. Which then made me cause I was having a good time being scared shitless

Quote by behind_you
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Everytime you feel like smoking, just fap

Get myself a raw ass penis
Quote by Lord_Hondros

Quote by behind_you
Quote by WantsLesPaul

So someone smoking two packs a day would have to fap...

Quote by BlaiseTheSlayer
No shit? I do love pearl tea, and it's cheaper than smokes. I just need to find somewhere that sells it.

I'd check Asian restaurants in the area, Vietnamese and Thai to be specific.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Mar 27, 2012,
Depends on how addicted you are but I have stopped many times for months just to save some cash. My best bet is to just not think about smoke, and find something that is a decent substitute, gum, snacks.... whiskey
I think you can get pills that make you sick when you smoke a cigarette
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I just dropped it over the period of about a month. Just slowly cutting down each week.

The good thing was that I never smoked at home anyway, so that helped a lot. You'll just need some willpower and motivation to do so. Not just "oh I'll stop smoking". I tried that and it didn't work for me, I had a goal at the end of it.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
My goal is to not even want any by May, when my mom comes to visit.
Quote by Lord_Hondros

Quote by behind_you
Quote by darkstar2466
So someone smoking two packs a day would have to fap...

I'd check Asian restaurants in the area, Vietnamese and Thai to be specific.

There's a Vietnamese place right by my university.
Quote by Lord_Hondros

Quote by behind_you
Quote by WantsLesPaul

But fapping makes you want to smoke.

But it's soooo cool
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Last edited by slash_GNR666 at Mar 27, 2012,
Quote by BlaiseTheSlayer
There's a Vietnamese place right by my university.

Check it son.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Everytime you're about to buy a pack tell yourself 'don't be a bitch'.
Check out my band Disturbed
Every time you feel the need to smoke fight against. Eat or drink something instead maybe and just forget about the fags. Smoking is is bad, just remember that.
Gum works for this friend I have. Don't take it from me though, I haven't smoked since the dawn of time, so I wouldn't know.

Hope you can get past your situation.

GRAY RAINBOW

Here's what I'm planning on doing:
Always have gum with me, bring snacks, drinking bubble tea if anywhere around here sells it, always having water, and avoid putting myself in situations where I would have a cigarette.
Quote by Lord_Hondros

Quote by behind_you
Last night was really put me over to the no smoking side. I downed a bottle of vodka and half a pack in about 3 hours. ****. That. Shit.
Quote by Lord_Hondros

Quote by behind_you
good luck to you, I think maybe alcohol is a trigger for you like a lot of people maybe you should lay off the sauce as well.
SMILE!
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
good luck to you, I think maybe alcohol is a trigger for you like a lot of people maybe you should lay off the sauce as well.

Totally agree with you, I plan on not drinking for a good while. It'll lose me a lot of friends, being that I'm in Austria ATM, but it's what I need.
Quote by Lord_Hondros

Quote by behind_you
The withdrawal symptoms of smoking last only 72 hours so if you feel you want a cigarette after that time it's not a nicotine you're craving - you are just responding to a conditioned response. That means you'll trigger wanting a cigarette unconsciously through ingrained cues (e.g. if you always smoke after a meal, eating a meal and seeing the empty dinner plate can trigger you wanting to smoke). If you become aware of these triggers they you can try to avoid them or be aware that they happen so you can control your response more consciously.

Hope it helps
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by BlaiseTheSlayer
Hey pit, got any tips to successfully kick a smoking habit?

I quit about three years ago.

I'll tell you how I did it, and there will probably be some people that focus on the one religious aspect. I'll tell you right now the religious aspect is on the one hand irrelevant, and on the other critical to the strategy.

First pick a date.

It could be any date, but the date must be beyond your control. It cannot change because you feel like it, and there must be a compelling reason to use that date.

I choose Lent.

As a Catholic I give something up for lent every year, and that year I chose smoking.

For extra smug factor I challenged my brother to give up Dr, Pepper at the same time. I knew he would fail, but let's face it, I knew I'd need all the motivation I could get.

Next. I went on Chantix. Chantix is a drug that eliminates your ability to absorb nicotine into your system. I was a 3 pack a day smoker, and I used that over a period of a month to cut down to one.

Next. I eliminated people from my life, temporarily, that already annoyed the shit out of me. My mother is a militant anti-smoker. She can give you a nic fit while you are smoking a cigarette. She does not recognize this in her self, and she needed to leave me the hell alone or I wasn't going to quit.

Now, you've got everything in position you need to quit except motivation.

What is your motivation?

I'll tell you this, smokers do not quit for a reason. They quit for a lot of reasons. The number required will vary from person to person, what your final reason or combination will be will depend on you. You may have people who are jealous of that final reason, don't tell them or anyone else what motivated you, that has to be your secret, and you are going to need it. It also helps to not be a douche bag and let people think you are doing it for them.

Ok, so the date comes up, I was down to one pack a day. and here comes one of the hardest parts.

Going cold turkey.

It's unavoidable. You are going to have to stop smoking in order to actually stop smoking. And it is going to suck. Some people buy nicotine gum or patches. They inevitably fail. That's what those products are designed for, the prolong the agony and convince people that they have no choice but to continue smoking. So don';t bother with them.

Now when you quit cold turkey, you are going to go through a process.

Day 1.

Your inner voice is telling you how great it is that you are quitting smoking. Sure, you feel a little twinge of withdrawal, but you are ok. Really, the worst part is the fact that you are finding out that you have a lot of time on your hands.

I'm not talking about the time you spent taking cigarette breaks in the middle of the day, we all know that's a perk. And no one cares if it annoys the non-smokers.

What I'm talking about is, if you have nothing to do, and you have cigarettes, you have something to do. You can always smoke.

The worst for me was driving. I drive a lot, and the time it took multiplied.

Day 2.

Your Inner Voice is telling you that you did a great job, and you can have a cigarette now. You've made your point, and cigarettes do not control you. So light up, it's cool, right?

You don't feel so good. You're a little sick to your stomach, and you have muscle aches. It's a bit like a case of the flu. You're probably not throwing up, but it should not surprise you if you have the runs. We're talking shit through a screen door and not leave a chunk runs.

You want to call in sick, but you're better off going in and filling a few hours.

Go to bed early, sleep a lot, drink lots of water.

Day 3.

Your inner voice is pissed off. It wants a ****ing cigarette asshole, and it means business. It's not gonna shut up, and you're only alternative to hearing it bitch constantly is to light up. Here's where you find out of you are stronger than yourself.

You're now experiencing something your hear junkies scream about while going through withdrawal, and you are going through withdrawal. Your skull will feel like it is turning inside out. This is not as painful an experience as it sounds like, but it is a bizarre experience.

People around you are now all assholes. Let me explain that. You see none of the people around you actually want to die, they just want to see if they can make you kill them. It is at this point where you start to wonder if road rage is induced by some jackass screwing with a guy who just wants to quit smoking.

Day 4.

Your Inner voice is alternating between uncontrolled rage and uncontrolled sobbing. It wants a cigarette, please give it a cigarette. Don't give it a cigarette.

People are still trying to see if you will kill them, and your skull has developed a strange warm glow.

I recommend buying a puzzle or legos or a model to work on, you've already slept so much that you are starting to develop bed sores, so it's time to work on something to distract yourself.

Day 5 is a wonderful day.

Your inner voice has finished it's transition to uncontrolled sobbing and is begging constantly for a cigarette.

You now learn what you have been missing s your sense of smell returns. This is your make or break point. I rediscovered my sense of smell when I encountered a clerk with a love of cheap perfume and cigarettes. I almost threw up on him. I think he would have been offended.

You've heard for years how bad smoking stinks, you were sick of hearing it, you had absolutely no idea.

I spent the rest of the day calling people and apologizing for the way I had to have smelled.

Fortunately, not so many people are trying to make you kill them at this point.

Let's skip ahead to day 10.

At this point, you think you are in the home stretch.

Your inner voice is curled up in a ball whimpering and occasionally screaming, "**** YOU!"

You've adjusted your life style to your new habits, and your shit has returned to normal.

At this point, you will tell everyone how many days you have gone without a cigarette when you meet them.

This seems obnoxious to people who are not quitting, and even to people who have quit, but it serves an important function. At this point, the days are a measure of your progress, not because of how long you have gone without a cigarette, but because of how hard it gets to remember how many days it has been.

The day you have to actually think about it. That you have to stop and figure out how many days it has been since you had a cigarette is the day you have won.

For me that was day 21.

That doesn't mean that you won't want a cigarette. It means that you are past the worst of the craving. After 2 years I would have a nic fit at least once a day.

After 3 years, I still get one at least once a week.

I choose not to smoke now, though I fear if I start again I will never have the strength to do it again.
Quote by HowSoonisNow
Smoke anyway. It's fun.

Dude, **** that shit. I need to get my life back in order.
Quote by Lord_Hondros

Quote by behind_you
Quote by BlaiseTheSlayer
Dude, **** that shit. I need to get my life back in order.

Your life will never be in order. Life is chaos. Smoking makes everything better.
Not for me.
Quote by Lord_Hondros

Quote by behind_you
I smoked for about 6-7 years and I quit last year.

The best advice I could give you is make sure you actually want to quit. If you're forced to quit for any other reason besides you want to, you might not stick with it.

When my parents made me quit, I was smoking again within months. When I wanted to quit for myself, it worked! I haven't had a smoke since

Really though there isn't a right or wrong way to quit IMHO, it's whatever works for you.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by jani92jani
Don't listen HowSoonisNow, life is chaos if you make it chaos. Quitting smoking can be one of the best decisions of your life!

Just a heads up, I stopped smoking (for the most part) and gained 30 pounds.
I never gained 30 pounds when I quit.

But then again I'm not a couch potato so...
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I never gained 30 pounds when I quit.

But then again I'm not a couch potato so...

I've never understood the quit smoking and gain weight thing. No point in quitting one unhealthy habit only to begin overeating.

Always makes me laugh when people say that about stopping smoking.
Knowledge is power
I've been using the electronic cigarettes since March 5th and haven't touched either it or a real cigarette in the last week and a half.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Page 1 of 2