Why can't you get hdmi audio interfaces? I read somewhere that hdmi can reach 10gb/s. Compare that to usb2 480mb/s and FireWire 400mb/s...

Plus wouldn't the audio be of higher quality too?
No point. How many HDMI IN ports do you see on a PC? If you wanted to develop an HDMI Audio Interface, you'd have to develop the interface itself, you'd have to develop a way to have it interface with your PC since a Video Card is only for video output and not input, and, most importantly, make money off of it. Its a lot easier from a developer standpoint to create something using a standardized format like USB or Firewire.

Just give it a year or two for Thunderbolt to catch on better. We've seen the first Thunderbolt capable Audio Interface come out and its a beauty (and $2500 for the one I want).
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Most audio equipment use analog connections and even for 192KHz 32-bit floating point audio the bitrate is only 12288 kbps. You can however get a pci-e interface like the ESI Maya 44 XTe.
What's Thunderbolt?

So what you're both saying is that USB and FireWire can more than deliver on audio quality? I thought that would be the case. Hdmi is more about delivering that 1080p video quality I guess.
Quote by BadBanshee
What's Thunderbolt?

It's a new Intel interface designed to carry audio, video, keyboard, mouse, etc. over a single cable. Really nice idea for laptop/tablet docking stations. AMD has a similar, but incompatible, technology called Lightning Bolt, and both compete with USB 3.0 (although USB 3.0 isn't really intended as a single-cable solution.

Quote by BadBanshee
So what you're both saying is that USB and FireWire can more than deliver on audio quality? I thought that would be the case. Hdmi is more about delivering that 1080p video quality I guess.

They're all far faster than you'd need for a single audio stream at any reasonable level of quality. But if you need a large number of simultaneous streams, something like USB 2.0 or Firewire might not be adequate.
Quote by xadioriderx
you should just mount a really big chunk of wood

Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?