Hello ohh wise people off the GG&A part of the forums, i come to you with a simple question

what trem do you think is the best out of

The Original Floyd Rose - http://www.warmoth.com/Original-Floyd-Rosereg-Tremolo-Black-P545C693.aspx

or

A Schaller Licensed Floyd Rose - http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolos/Floyd_Rose_tremolos_and_parts/Schaller_Floyd_Rose_Locking_Tremolo_Complete_Set.html

OR anything else that you can offer, keep in mind that i am in australia and im really looking to order online because i asked how much it would be for my local store to order in a OFR and they said it would be $330...thats just to order it in, so im not going to be doing that.

okay so if your going to be suggesting anything, please keep in mind that i would like it to be under $200 AUD inc postage to victoria.

so im going to be replacing the trem on my Ibanez RG 350EX, it currently has the Edge III trem in and in not sure what the measurements are for that, but if anyone out there knows, thats what it needs to fit to as im hoping to change the trem myself, with these ridiculous prices and all >.>

if anyone knows a better A.K.A cheaper place to get the trem from then please inform me. if theres anything that ive missed, just post and i can update it in the OP

eagerly awaiting your replies

Locky

EDIT: i would like the trem to be black to match the rest of the hardware on my guitar, not much but usually it bumpes up the price by, as much as $20 :/
Ibanez RG470AHZ
Squire Strat
Walden G630CE

Blackstar HT-40
Marshal MG30FX

OFFICIALLY A 'BEAUTIFUL PERSON'
Last edited by lock@stoner at Mar 27, 2012,
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/edge3-replacement-tremolo-68062.html

All the info you should need about what fits the Edge III route should be in that topic.

I personally prefer the Gotoh 1996 tremolo over either Floyd. The OFR is the better of the two you mentioned but not by much really since Schaller makes the OFR as well as their own licensed version.

The Gotoh 1996 Can be had on Ebay for about $180 USD, which is $50 cheaper than anywhere else I can find it.
Last edited by poppameth at Mar 27, 2012,
That's the one. Good quality trem for the price. Floyds took a drop in quality for a while and the Gotohs got really popular. I think the OFR is back up in quality now. I still prefer the Gotoh though, even if it's just for the locking studs.
yeah the gotoh one's really good too. feels a little stiffer than the ofr, though, maybe, so worth bearing in mind.

you might end up having to go for the one that fits easiest, though. any of the 3 would be a pretty massive improvement over an edge III, i'd have thought.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah the edge III just isnt doing the job properly, and the store i bought it from refuses to notice that theres anything wrong with it so i gave up :/

Hmm about getting which one would be the easiest fit, would the gotoh be an easy fit into the edge III's cavities and stuff, i dont realy want to take it down to the store and pay an extra $150 to get it installed and set up and i dont want to start taking chunks out of my guitar XD
Ibanez RG470AHZ
Squire Strat
Walden G630CE

Blackstar HT-40
Marshal MG30FX

The Gotoh comes with short stiff springs so yeah it does feel stiffer. You can change that by swapping out the springs.

Reading through the thread I linked to at Jemsite. It looks like the OFR is the best drop in option. The Gotoh may require a little sanding.

Here are the dimensions on the Gotoh from their catalog.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9777076/gotoh1996.pdf

Unfortunately it isn't a full set of measurements. I have a friend for whom I just installed a Gotoh 1996 in his old RG470. I'll see if I can measure it this weekend.
Last edited by poppameth at Mar 27, 2012,
Okay that would be a huge help

If its just a case of i need to sand down an area with a little bit of sand paper then i think that i could do that, it should be simple enough right? Also, the screws that come with the gotoh trem that go into the body in the bridge (where the knifepoints rest on) look different to the ones that are already in my guitar, are they just fancy screws or? How would they go into the body?
Ibanez RG470AHZ
Squire Strat
Walden G630CE

Blackstar HT-40
Marshal MG30FX

Swap out the studs. You may have to plug the holes and redrill them bigger. I'm not sure what size the Edge III studs are. The Gotoh studs are locking. There is a small set screw inside the stud so once you get it positioned you use a smaller wrench to lock it in place so they don't rotate. Just remember to unlock them when making action adjustments.
Quote by poppameth
The Gotoh comes with short stiff springs so yeah it does feel stiffer. You can change that by swapping out the springs.

yeha i was wondering if swapping the springs would help. obviously that's a fairly easy fix if that's all it takes. currently i prefer the "feel" of an OFR in use, but i prefer the ergonomics of the gotoh, if that makes sense. if i could get the OFR feel with the gotoh, that'd be the best of both worlds, IMO.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you've ever gotten the short heavy springs from Floyd Upgrades then you'll know what the Gotoh springs are like. They look identical to me. I'm willing to bet the Floyd Upgrades springs are just relabeled Gotohs.
For as much as an RG350EX costs, and as much as a good floyd costs, I usually recommend just saving and getting a used RG1570 or something similar.

That said I don't know how feasible that is in AU.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
with the srings and the trems tension that shouldnt be to much of a problem, if the springs are to tight for my likeing i could just use the springs ive got in the edge III atm right?

Quote by poppameth
Swap out the studs. You may have to plug the holes and redrill them bigger. I'm not sure what size the Edge III studs are. The Gotoh studs are locking. There is a small set screw inside the stud so once you get it positioned you use a smaller wrench to lock it in place so they don't rotate. Just remember to unlock them when making action adjustments.

okay, i think i could do that, ill just have to get something to plug the holes with, what would you use/how would you do that?

Quote by Offworld92
For as much as an RG350EX costs, and as much as a good floyd costs, I usually recommend just saving and getting a used RG1570 or something similar.

That said I don't know how feasible that is in AU.

yeah a quick google search told me that the rg1570 is probably going to be $1100+ and i cant aford that atm becasue im saving up for some other gear as well, which i may make threads for later

also id rather just change the trem than buy a whole new guitar :/
Ibanez RG470AHZ
Squire Strat
Walden G630CE

Blackstar HT-40
Marshal MG30FX

Wood glue some dowel rods in if you can find one that fits. Otherwise any piece of wood you can shape to fit will work. You'll be drilling the whole thing back out anyway. You just need to plug it before drilling so the existing hole doesn't jerk your drill bit off course. I'd use a drill press if possible. If you don't have one, drill a thick piece of wood perfectly straight first and use it as a jig to get a straight hole in the guitar. Be careful to watch your depth as well so you don't drill into the spring cavity.
Last edited by poppameth at Mar 28, 2012,
Quote by poppameth
If you've ever gotten the short heavy springs from Floyd Upgrades then you'll know what the Gotoh springs are like. They look identical to me. I'm willing to bet the Floyd Upgrades springs are just relabeled Gotohs.

possibly
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd reccomend the Schaller Licensed tremolo. It is exactly the same as the Schaller original, just that it says 'Schaller' instead of 'Floyd Rose', and the screws for locking the strings are shorter.

But it is also worth mentioning the Stewmac Floyd set comes with an R2 locking nut, which may not fit a RG. I don't recommend using Ibanez's locking nut, as it would be made of softer metals than the Schaller, and having a good locking nut is just as important as having sharp knife edges. Just find the nut length and get an OFR locking nut that fits.

And no, it will not be a retrofit. It would,'t be a lot of routing if any at all, but the studs would have to be replaced and moved. You can do this yourself easily, just look for advice on how to do it.

For starters, fill the mounting holes, measure to make sure the new floyd fits the rout, then measure the placement of the new mounting studs EXACTLY. Next, mark how deep to drill your holes with painter's tape on the drill bit, and drill the holes straightly. Make sure the holes are only a little SMALLER than the studs, so you can press them in or tap them in with a mallet so they fit nice and snug. DO NOT keep them in place with epoxy/glue, as this can cause adjustment problems if done sloppy, and you won't be able to easily remove the studs for another bridge etc.

Hope this helps.
Not all Ibanez nuts are softer material. I usually swap any problematic ones with a Japanese Ibanez nut. The Korean/Chinese ones are softer, but the Japanese ones are very good an much easier to get a proper fit than the schaller/floyd nuts. However, check what you have first. If it doesn't have any issues now, hold of on changing the nut out until you have a reason to do so.
okay thanks poppameth and Myaccount876, thats really helpful, im just not to sure how confident i am now about changing it myself, especially after considering all of the things that could go wrong :/ but we'll get to that when it comes to it XD

okay so im thinking that ill probably go with the schaller for a couple of reasons: one i like that the tremolo arm screws in, i dont know why, its just a little thing but i like it, also on the schaller both the knife edges are rounded again only something little thats probably going to have no difference to me what so ever but hey also its cheaper, i mean i dont mind paying extra but they both get the job done right?

also im not sure how accurate you need to be with these measurements but i just measured the nut on my guitar atm (p.s i measured it with the wooden ruler i use at school, probably not the most acurate way of measuring either :/ )and its about 43mm and stewmac says that the nut that comes with it is 41.28mm, is this a problem? because i think i could but another nut from floyd rose, i think they were like $15 or something, thats no biggie if its going to save having hassles for either me or the tech that'll be replacing it
Ibanez RG470AHZ
Squire Strat
Walden G630CE

Blackstar HT-40
Marshal MG30FX

yes that'd be a problem (nut measurement). you need a 43mm nut.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Schaller has the ring sleeve to tighten the arm down. The Gotoh just spins in but it has a set screw on the back to adjust where it stops when it's fully in and another one to actually lock it in position on the side of the collar.

As far as the rounded knife edge, that can be good and bad. It's a little more contact area so the knife edges may wear better, but the big drawback is you have to be super precise with your stud placement. They have to sit dead in the center of the round-outs. With one like the Gotoh, one stud will sit dead in the round-out and the other one can be slightly off and still work fine since the straight edge allows it to fall anywhere along that edge and still function properly.

I've done a few swaps on Ibanez guitars now and the nut is always the tricky part. I believe a lot of Ibanez guitars have a 16" radius on the neck and most of the Floyd stuff is for 14" radius. This can work but tends to throw your action off a bit. I stick with the Japanese Ibanez nuts (get them from Rich and IbanezRules) to avoid these issues.

Here is a link to the details on an Ibanez RG470 that I swapped a Gotoh into. I don't have any photos or details on the Schaller install to show you, but they should both go pretty similar.
http://gideond.wordpress.com/2011/08/06/ibanez-mik-rg470dx-project-phase-2/
Last edited by poppameth at Mar 29, 2012,
okay dam, i knew that there was a reason that they were being so precise with the measurements :/

yeah i know how the gotoh one goes in cos thats the same way that the edge III works and i dont like that you need to get the alen keys out everytime you need to change the tension, even though u dont need to set it again everytime you play but, yeah, its just a preferance.

ohh okay, yeah that could be a massive problem if i did it myself, im defently going to get it done professionaly now,

okay so ill probably just buy a new nut from ibanez and get the perfect fit nut, and then just use the actual bridge part of the new trem, no worries.

btw that is a really great walkthrough, well done, i now have it bookmarked
Ibanez RG470AHZ
Squire Strat
Walden G630CE

Blackstar HT-40
Marshal MG30FX

Glad we could help. If you REALLY wanted to do it yourself, get the Stewmac Floyd template(s). They have the perfect and exact spacing/sizes for the Schaller Floyd Rose they sell.
yeah thanks all of you who have posted here, its nice to know that not everyone on UG is a troll

yeah ill check out those templates just for some referances but ill still get it set up buy the local store, i really dont want to do anything that will just cost more money to fix or wont lewt the trem perform at 'optimal' levels
Ibanez RG470AHZ
Squire Strat
Walden G630CE

Blackstar HT-40
Marshal MG30FX

i resent the unfounded and uncalled-for accusation that i'm not a troll
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
okay dave, your a troll, but ahelpful troll
Ibanez RG470AHZ
Squire Strat
Walden G630CE

Blackstar HT-40
Marshal MG30FX

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?