okay so the story goes......i ordered a used peavey 5150 212 combo amp from a reputable dealer. takes approx a week and a half to arrive. no problem but i go to pick it up and find that it is a heavey Sob. but no problem as i am all man after all.

so after carrying this friggin what seems to be an 80 lb box with the amp inside up two flights of stairs, i unwrap the fender box that the said amp is in. now of course the power tubes and preamp tubes came in a separate box as to take extra precautions during shipping. keeping that in mind i've never owned a tube amp but i see 7 tubes all together and i see 5 silver things protruding out with springs attached to them and 2 holes with some clipping over them.

Sweet no brainer i thought its obvious the two big tubes must be for the power and must go into the two big holes, while the 5 smaller tube thingies must go into the socket. 5 minutes later of fiddling with it i believe i had successfully installed all 7 tubes properly. Then plugged it in and switch on the stand by and the on switches.

now as someone who's never owned a tube amp or really messed with the inner workings of one...(why would I?), but i have read several users post, that one should wait for the tubes to get warm before doing anything with them. so i give it 15 minutes to do its thing. then plugged in the guitar into the rhythm channel and turn the volume to 1 and pretty much all the corresponding knobs to 1 except the eq (i.e. bass treble mids)which were set to what i thought would be to my liking.

so i strum hoping for some brutal generic emg sounding heavy swissgar metals......but uh no friggin sound. okay no biggie so i perhaps didnt do something correctly i swapped the cable and tried different outputs with different switches and everything and every combination that is possible and still yet no sound.

i read some troubleshooting online and plugged into the efx loop both send and return with no sound. i got my practice amp out and plugged it in to the extenal speaker....same result no sound.

soooooo.........my question is....did i do something wrong with the installation like is there a certain way the preamp tubes go in ie some numeric pattern and not just random like i did? the power tubes do their thing after about 7 minutes they light up and get rather warm like a light bulb that been on all day, so i'm guessing thats not one of the issues.. also the led indicators for the power and stand by switches are lighting up as i think they would.
Sorry if this seems like an irregularly long post for such a simple question but i just wanted to post as many details as possible as i understand that this may help save time for anybody who would be most gracious enough to attempt to aid me in resolving this issue so as i may put this thought to rest and watch some sweet spartacus vengeance.....peace everyone.
Have you taken it out of standby? Check the basics, eg volume knob on guitar etc.
Im not trying to be patronizing, with all the excitement of a new amp people often overlook the little things....
Last edited by zero at Mar 27, 2012,
Maybe some of the tubes arent seated fully? Powertubes are a bitch to get down fully

Other than that check to make sure theres the 2 speakers

Another thing is if the gain is too low itll affect volume so start with pre gain at around 5 lets say and then adjust from there

You may have bad tubes or the amp could have some serious proble
S if its none of that
Quote by zero
Have you taken it out of standby? Check the basics, eg volume knob on guitar etc.
Im not trying to be patronizing, with all the excitement of a new amp people often overlook the little things....

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
thanks for the responses but yes i have checked the guitars volume and cranked it and i do believe that the power tubes are successfully mounted but once again im no expert. but everything is subjective and i will play with it a little more tonight when i get off work. tomorrow i ll just call up guitar center and either see if they can repair it......very doubtful so most likely i ll just get a refund or something will post status update as it comes thanks everyone for chiming in
Both the power and the standby are on, correct?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
can you take a picture of the back of the amp and the knobs on top of it if it's not too much trouble? I've got a 5150 combo myself. Also, theres a cable that plugs the 2x12 speakers into the unit itself and that should be plugged into the bottom of the head unit (the part where the tubes stick out of). Also, take the silver covers off of the preamp tubes (the smaller ones) and let the amp warm up. Check to make sure all of the tubes are glowing. If they aren't or certain ones aren't coming up, there's a dead tube.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube