Page 1 of 2
Erm, Well, the more and more I watch reviews and videos etc, The more I feel like my TS-9 isn't achieving what it is supposed to.

I don't use it anymore; I bought myself a BOSS ME-50 in hope that the distortion on that was better. And while I don't want to get into a debate about whether people like BOSS or not, I was wondering if there was a better alternative for me.

I basically want something to give me a good metal tone, to play anything from Slayer->Cannibal Corpse/TBDM

Blackstar HT pedals? Perhaps my TS-9 is broken.. or maybe a Maxon 808 is more suited... Or do you think I should stick with the BOSS until I get a better amp altogether.

Any advice would be wonderful.

(If it's not showing up in my signature, My amp is an Orange rocker 30w combo)
Last edited by Into Exile at Apr 1, 2012,
a ts9 isn't a standalone OD its more suited as a boost. you can use it for a lot of things but just by itself metal is not one of them.

What amp do you use? if it isn't a high gain amp then you'll probably need to get a distortion pedal and then you can use the ts9 to boost it even more. i've never used the ME50 but it's really just a matter of going to a shop and trying different pedals out. just remember gain that you get from a pedal isn't the same as gain you get from the amp
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by gerraguitar

What amp do you use? if it isn't a high gain amp then you'll probably need to get a distortion pedal and then you can use the ts9 to boost it even more.

I've actually not tried using them both together... I guess I have a personal gripe against my ME50, I heard for years how its fake and all the sounds are 2d etc etc, so I have a bad opinion of it drummed into my head, I bought it because I needed some OD, Reverb, Chorus and a tuner and I had barely any money, so I just got a ME pedal.
I haven't actually gone out and tried different pedals, no-where around me can I really take my amp and just play guitar and try stuff out. - But I'm just presuming that it's a piece of shit and every other OD stompbox will sound a shit-tonne better.

So answering that question may help me just as much!
Blackstar HT-5 mini-stack
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
I tend to stick to amp distortion for heavy stuff so I just crank the gain and use a tubescreamer type - I like the Nobels ODR-1.

The best overdrive I've heard though is the N.O.C.3 Pure Drive. That thing is gorgeous but it costs a ton, especially over here in the UK :/
i'd just use the dirty channel on your rocker 30 with the ts9 in front. if that isn't enough then i'd look for a distortion pedal. these can range in price from $40 to several hundreds of dollars so you really have to determine what you are willing to spend first.

most multieffect pedals have a bunch of pretty good effects but they specialize in quantity and not quality. so if you looking for a really good OD or distortion you probably need to buy a single pedal.
I did use the TS9 + dirty channel for a while, but it wasn't enough. And yeah, I've established that I need an OD pedal, just, hence the title, what one. But if that's an impossible question then I apologise.
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978
If you're just playing at home or with friends, do it dude. Chicks dig stacks! Crank out some Metallica and do a couple of single moms!

I ask many questions.
If you are using the dirty channel plus your pedal and still not achieving a heavy enough tone then you have to start questioning the suitability of the amp. As somebody above said look at distortion pedals or possibly an amp change should that still not suffice
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
how are you using the ts9? it should work for what you want, and if it doesn't, i don't see how other ODs would.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
how much do you want to spend on a distortion pedal? once you establish a price then you can start looking at pedals in your price range.
OD pedals and Distortion pedals are not the same thing. You need a distortion pedal, not a new OverDrive pedal. Try an MXR Fulbore Metal pedal. I just got one and it has some good chuggin' distortion.
The me50 is ok at low volume, good for apartment practice but not if a drummer is involved, IMO. I thought Orange was known for metal.
Orange is known for an AC/DC dirty tone and even the dark terror just barely borders on metal.
Your Rocker 30 with it's British crunch (albeit dark) with a boost from an OD should be able to do something like Slayer. Although, Cannibal Corpse is a Boss Metal Zone (yuck) into a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
you have to understand, in the industry when something is labeled as an overdrive, then its main focus isn't going to be tons of gain. if your looking for something in terms of a "distortion" pedal (refered to as having much more gain and replacing your amps gain, then thats where u should be looking
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
An Orange Rocker for CC & TBDM?

No wonder you're unhappy with your tone...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I agree. The Rocker could work for some 80s stuff, but it's probably too vintage for a lot of what you want. You might like a distortion pedal into the clean channel for very modern distortion.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
What about this: Guitar-> TS9 ->Boss -> amp. Crank the gain on the amp, crank the volume on both ODs and turn the drive all the way down. I run a Bad Monkey and a Boss super od into my Peavey Windsor and can get metal using this method.
Joe Satriani isn't a man, but a god.
Quote by lucky1978
The me50 is ok at low volume, good for apartment practice but not if a drummer is involved, IMO. I thought Orange was known for metal.

The Oranges that do metal are the Rockerverb 100H Mk. II, Thunderverb 200, etc. Most amps that are less than 50w aren't intended for metal. I know, there's a ton of exceptions (Baron Snott Watt, Jet City JCA20, Mesa Mini Recto, etc) but it's generally a rule that amps 30w and below are more for classic rock and blues than anything tight and punchy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Woah, I wasn't expecting that many replies, havn't been online in two days.. how do I reply to them all, lol.

It was actually people from this website who suggested my amp for what I wanted to play, I literally tried everything people suggested, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't call me out on this one, it was my fault for not actually trying stuff first, and my fault for not having a job.

I guess this thread was supposed to be more of a: 'I want more gain, what can I do?' thread, rather than a 'Why am I getting no gain?' thread.

Quote by dimarzio77
OD pedals and Distortion pedals are not the same thing. You need a distortion pedal, not a new OverDrive pedal. Try an MXR Fulbore Metal pedal. I just got one and it has some good chuggin' distortion.

I do know that OD + Distortion isn't the same, but I guess in my head I assumed you'd know what I want, so I just put OD pedal as a general term. And thanks buddy, I'll write it down and look into it :>

Quote by EspTro
you have to understand, in the industry when something is labeled as an overdrive, then its main focus isn't going to be tons of gain. if your looking for something in terms of a "distortion" pedal (refered to as having much more gain and replacing your amps gain, then thats where u should be looking

Same as above, I do understand that, completely, just a failure to use terms correctly, It's just a bad habbit of mine to say one thing and mean something else, it's what I get for being from Essex.

Quote by BarbaricJethro
What about this: Guitar-> TS9 ->Boss -> amp. Crank the gain on the amp, crank the volume on both ODs and turn the drive all the way down. I run a Bad Monkey and a Boss super od into my Peavey Windsor and can get metal using this method.

I have been meaning to do this, I just need to find a power-supply somewhere, accidently spent my last £10 a ticket to see Architects tomorrow haha. So I'll get round to that soon.

Quote by sg4ever
I agree. The Rocker could work for some 80s stuff, but it's probably too vintage for a lot of what you want. You might like a distortion pedal into the clean channel for very modern distortion.

I know I need a distortion pedal, but the question is what one. I know everyone's loving the opportunity to tell me I'm wrong about everything I've said, but I am still hoping to get a few suggestions as to what Distortion pedal I should try.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, again to clarify, I am absolutely aware that I need a Distortion pedal not an Overdrive pedal, I don't know why I said OD, I blame the poor quality of teaching in guitar technology terminology classification studies class in public schools.
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978

I ask many questions.
i'm not convinced you are wrong. as i said, an od pedal over your dirty channel should get you a reasonable amount of dirt.

as i said, how are you setting the pedal and amp up? what settings etc.?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well currently I'm literally just using the Natural channel (There's no EQ for the natural channel on the amp) and then the metal distortion on the BOSS ME-50.
I havn't attempted to use the compressor or anything, because it has two knobs 'sustain' and 'level' and I'm used to 'threshold' 'ratio' and 'make-up' controls when using a compressor in terms of recording. So perhaps if I found out how to best use the boss' compressor I could make my tone more punchy.

For the controls on the distortion i have: 'Drive': 1/2 O'clock, 'Bottom': 1/2 O'clock, 'Tone': 1 O'clock and 'level': 12 O'clock. I don't like to over-power everything, but again, that's just a habit of mine I've developed from music tech class, if adding a tonne more drive/bottom/tone/level to that will help the sound, let me know.
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978

I ask many questions.
Quote by Into Exile
Well currently I'm literally [just using the Natural channel (There's no EQ for the natural channel on the amp) and then the metal distortion on the BOSS ME-50.
I havn't attempted to use the compressor or anything, because it has two knobs 'sustain' and 'level' and I'm used to 'threshold' 'ratio' and 'make-up' controls when using a compressor in terms of recording. So perhaps if I found out how to best use the boss' compressor I could make my tone more punchy.

For the controls on the distortion i have: 'Drive': 1/2 O'clock, 'Bottom': 1/2 O'clock, 'Tone': 1 O'clock and 'level': 12 O'clock. I don't like to over-power everything, but again, that's just a habit of mine I've developed from music tech class, if adding a tonne more drive/bottom/tone/level to that will help the sound, let me know.

that's a complete waste of an amp in that respect, you might as well just plug into your PC speakers.

What does it sound like if you just boost the Rocker's dirty channel with the TS9? I wouldn't bother with any of the distortions on the ME 50, it's worth using it as an extra EQ layer though to help you tighten up the midrange, us it to knock down some of the honkier frequencies.

Guitar>TS9>ME50 for EQ>Amp on dirty channel
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
As you may presume, the TS9 + Dirty channel alone was good, but it wasn't heavy enough haha. When I'm playing like Blues or Slayer-like metal I do just use the TS9+Dirty channel - but I wanted something to make it heavier for playing anything from Machine head->TBDM. So I tried the ME-50 + as I say, it's not great.
So I'm trying to find out if there is a Distortion Pedal which is great quality to use with my amp.
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978

I ask many questions.
have you tried two ods?

what are your settings on the amp and on the od?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 4, 2012,
Quote by Into Exile
As you may presume, the TS9 + Dirty channel alone was good, but it wasn't heavy enough haha. When I'm playing like Blues or Slayer-like metal I do just use the TS9+Dirty channel - but I wanted something to make it heavier for playing anything from Machine head->TBDM. So I tried the ME-50 + as I say, it's not great.
So I'm trying to find out if there is a Distortion Pedal which is great quality to use with my amp.

Have you tried playing with the EQ section on the ME50?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Dave_Mc
have you tried two ods?

what are your settings on the amp and on the od?

Settings are in the post above

Quote by Into Exile

There is no EQ or anything but a volume control on the Natural Channel.

Quote by steven seagull
Have you tried playing with the EQ section on the ME50?

Now that you mention it, there is no EQ control at all on my rig haha. None on the natural channel, none on the BOSS.
It's literally only just occured to me that I don't have any control over my EQ, haha. That could well be the problem.
Would a basic 4 band EQ be worth looking into?
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978

I ask many questions.
The ME50 must have an EQ function
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

It does not. Tone Modify, Compressor, Noise Suppressor, Reverb, Overdrive/Distortion, Modulation, delay and Pedal Mode.
The Distortion has a Bottom and Tone control. So I presume the Bottom is a low-pass filter and the Tone a Mid/High end shape control. Otherwise there is none.
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978

I ask many questions.
is "Tone Modify" not simply a fancy-pants way of saying "EQ"?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Nah, It can probably be used in a similar way, but it has things like; Fat, Presence, Mild, Tight... then a series of Humbucker->Single Coil vice-versa controls. It's not directly about frequencies.
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978

I ask many questions.
Quote by dimarzio77
Orange is known for an AC/DC dirty tone and even the dark terror just barely borders on metal.

What?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7oROJyQ9ws&list=PLFD424C62ECFC8364&index=52&feature=plpp_video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=murnnXJtaiY&feature=relmfu
That sounds pretty metal to me... ¬¬

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Apr 4, 2012,
Quote by Into Exile
Settings are in the post above

where?

(jeez this is like getting blood out of a stone)

set up your distortion channel on the amp for a good crunchy distortion. Reasonable amount of gain (or even cranked to 10 if it only gets to mid gain on its own).

set up your tubescreamer with the drive on 0, level on 10, and tone on about 2 o'clock.

does that help?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Into Exile
Nah, It can probably be used in a similar way, but it has things like; Fat, Presence, Mild, Tight... then a series of Humbucker->Single Coil vice-versa controls. It's not directly about frequencies.

Well it IS, they're just not giving you an awful lot of control over them

Have you tried using the TS as a boost in conjunction with the ME50 using just the Tone modifier set to "Tight"?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Perhaps, you need less gain than you think.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by Perverockstar69

Those are both dual tracked and have bass added. None of Ola's vids (except for the playthrough ones) are realistic representations of what an amp actually sounds like.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Exactly. On its own its really fizzy and not tight. It's just not a good amp for modern metal. Sounds good for thrashy stuff though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Dave_Mc
where?

(jeez this is like getting blood out of a stone)

Don't worry, I feel like that too. All I wanted to know was if there was a good distortion pedal I could use with my clean channel to get a nice heavy metal tone. It was potentially a 3 word answer and I've had 36 posts of re-explaining myself and getting the same suggestions.

I was literally just expecting: 'Hey into exile, there's this sweet new Blackstar HT-2 metal distortion pedal or whatever which I've used and it's been great.' Or whatever.

But I digress, the settings I used were in a post like 4 above, I never said directly above; however for convenience I quoted the specific piece of information in question, just below that statement.

Quote by steven seagull
Well it IS, they're just not giving you an awful lot of control over them

Have you tried using the TS as a boost in conjunction with the ME50 using just the Tone modifier set to "Tight"?

Well ye, but what I meant by not directly controlling them, is that you aren't dropping it off 50Hz down or pinching up 2KHz, its using a preset which probably does a whole bunch of different EQing, so it's not having direct control.

If I was to try the TS9 with the ME50, what kind of settings would you use, and what signal chain.

Quote by CL/\SH
Perhaps, you need less gain than you think.

Well, if you care to elaborate on that sweeping statement then sure. I only know one heavy metal band who rolls back on the gain, and that's lamb of god and they both use Mark Vs.
Ibanez Tubescream TS9
Ibanez RG3EXFM1

Quote by lucky1978

I ask many questions.
Last edited by Into Exile at Apr 5, 2012,
Quote by Into Exile
Don't worry, I feel like that too. All I wanted to know was if there was a good distortion pedal I could use with my clean channel to get a nice heavy metal tone. It was potentially a 3 word answer and I've had 36 posts of re-explaining myself and getting the same suggestions.

I was literally just expecting: 'Hey into exile, there's this sweet new Blackstar HT-2 metal distortion pedal or whatever which I've used and it's been great.' Or whatever.

But I digress, the settings I used were in a post like 4 above, I never said directly above; however for convenience I quoted the specific piece of information in question, just below that statement.

i still don't see any settings for your amp's dirty channel or your overdrive pedal. which is what i asked. I see that you posted settings for your distortion pedal but that's not what i asked about.

so yeah, tell me your amp's dirty channel settings and your od settings which don't give you a heavy enough tone.

i think you're overcomplicating this
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Offworld92
Exactly. On its own its really fizzy and not tight. It's just not a good amp for modern metal. Sounds good for thrashy stuff though.

Still metal, and actually something I like more, I just don't dig the modern sounding metal, specially djent and all that stuff, modern metal has too much technique and math for my tastes, oh and I feel it pretty cold sounding. I prefer the heart bumping head banger style, it has more soul for me. I guess I'm a visceral/purist metal head. Not saying modern metal is bad at all, just not for me.

BTW, the OP is looking for something heavy metal sounding. I think Orange covers that territory pretty well.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Apr 5, 2012,
Page 1 of 2