whats best way to leave string slack? ive hgeard all sorts, like raise it at the 12th fret, putting string all way through and moving back 1-2 frets, leaving only 2 tuning pegs more than the one your doing it on, etc etc.

Which is best way?
Pain is weakness leaving your body.
tuning peg. I get it perfect every time with that method. I guess the fret thing could work too since it's the same basic idea.
isnt it 2 for strings 1-3 and either 1 or 3 pegs for strings 4-6?
Pain is weakness leaving your body.
I measure roughly up to the next peg, maybe a little more for plain strings, that gives me 2 wraps around on the wound strings and 3-4 wraps on the plain strings. Maybe go to the second peg if you want more wraps (I don't, only makes it harder to get the strings off again)

Actually, the technician at my college has a technique where he pulls the string taught and wraps it around by hand, from the bottom up, and then puts it through the peg. It's kind of tricky, and i failed when I tried... lol. But I imagine that way would be a bit faster, and you'd know you were getting the right amount of wraps.
Last edited by Ibbod0 at Mar 27, 2012,
Are all you guys really so technical about it? I've always just estimated. After doing it so many times, it's easy.
Quote by Strats&Cats
Are all you guys really so technical about it? I've always just estimated. After doing it so many times, it's easy.

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X