so i have 2 really cheap LP copies with seymour duncans that sound better then average but i want a real professional guitar thats less then $1,500.

i want an Les Paul style body that isn't as heavy as a Gibson (i'm like 5'6" and my copies wear me down after about an hour playing) and preferably passive pickups.

any ideas guys?

--------------------------------------------
When in Rome do as the Romans. When in hell take shots at the bar.
You can look at the Carvin CS series as well as ESP guitars. If you're looking for a more traditional shape, Edwards offers great build quality and they look like Gibbies.

You could also look at Tokai, Burny etc... as well.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Les Pauls are heavy for a reason! SUSTAIN!
You can get a second hand or even new LP studio for a bit more than $1500 i imagine.
but its worth it for the quality.
the lighter it is, the less sustain - something i think most people would agree on - unless it's made of concrete, that is
He's asking for a Les Paul, not an SG guys. As much as they're good guitars, it's not what he's looking for.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
We don't know which will be too heavy for you.

As is always the case, the only answer to a thread like this is that you have to go to as many shops as possible and try as many guitars as possible until you find the one that is right for you
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
We don't know which will be too heavy for you.

As is always the case, the only answer to a thread like this is that you have to go to as many shops as possible and try as many guitars as possible until you find the one that is right for you

Fantastic advice as well. It's always better to get familiar with what you like and you don't so you won't make a mistake when purchasing a guitar. What better way to do it then going to your guitar shop and trying them all out?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by micromountain37
There's always the LP double-cut.

I 2nd the ESP idea...fantastic guitars...even the LTD series is amazing....

Ec-1000 perhaps.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Gibson makes some chambered Les Pauls (they're like 3lbs lighter), might be worth a look. Also, I'm pretty sure you're in the territory of some PRS stuff, might want to check that out too.
Used ESP Eclipse maybe?
Many of them have EMGs, some have passive Duncans as well though.

Are you sure that Gibsons are too heavy for you?
Something like a Les Paul Axcess (considerably thinner body) might be a great idea, but kind of out of your price range.
Maybe a used Standard would work as well, they are chambered and don't weigh too much.
Other than that there are Les Paul Juniors or Specials, many of which come with 2 humbuckers as well. Those aren't as pretty as normal carved top Les Pauls though, they look more like LP-shaped planks.

Ibanez also makes LP-shaped guitars, but I'm not sure if there is a Prestige version of those.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
they do make lighter weight les pauls u know
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
ESP Eclipse!

Quote by funkymonk1985
Les Pauls are heavy for a reason! SUSTAIN!
You can get a second hand or even new LP studio for a bit more than $1500 i imagine.
but its worth it for the quality.
the lighter it is, the less sustain - something i think most people would agree on - unless it's made of concrete, that is

Weight has nothing to do with sustain. Sustain comes from the quality of wood. LP's are known for their sustain because Gibson uses very high quality wood in their guitars. It's just coincidental that LP's are also heavy.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Seconding the Hagstrom idea. I missed an opportunity to buy one at Music Go Round- it was very attractive and felt nice. As I recall, it had a slightly smaller body than the LPs in the store. (Dweezil Zappa uses them.)

To give you an idea about the Carvins, they have one LP-style in stock. They also make a single-cutaway semi hollow SH550 & SH575 which are nice. (A SH550 is on my GAS list.)

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/single.php?Serial=95749
http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/semihollowcarvedtop.php

I know some luthiers have models in your price range. jon Kammerer guitars start at $995 for his standard models (but AFAIK, does not have a standard LP style) and his customs start around $2K. (I own 5 of his.). His site is down, but you can find him on Facebook. I'm not saying you should only buy his stuff, just that you should consider custom/luthier work in your price range- check your local listing or go to a guitar show.

http://www.google.com/search?q=jon+kammerer+guitars&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=AfZxT8vuPIni2AWvuancDg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CFQQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=644

Reently, I've been thinking about getting an Indie myself, and they do have both a solidbody LP-style guitar and a hollowbody (among others). Since I don't mind some cosmetic flaws, I've been taking a close look at the ones in their "Orphanage."

http://www.indieguitars.ca/product.cfm
http://www.indieguitars.ca/index-2.cfm?Title=orphanage
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 27, 2012,
+1 on the PRS singlecut option. They're setup control wise the same as a LP, but have thinner bodies and weigh less, build quality is good.

ESP make some nice singlecuts, tokai love rocks are quite nice too.

It will be best to go to a guitar store and play EVERYTHING in your price range. You might even find something different that you like, an SG perhaps..
ESP eclipse with duncans. it might be a bit of a price stretch, but it is a seriously good guitar. also, much lighter than an LP
Just a thought- try swapping out your current axe's pickups with some Lace Alumitones That alone will drop somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4lb off their weight.

If you like their sound, you could then buy the LP or LP equivalent of your choice and shave some additional weight from your new guitar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Eclipse with Duncans, nuff said.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

thanks for the responses guys. I don't think the SG looks that good sorry. haha

i'm going to guitar center in a few days and try playing some esps and if they have them PRSs....PRSes? PResse? whatever.

THANKS so much.

--------------------------------------------
When in Rome do as the Romans. When in hell take shots at the bar.
Quote by Djtillz
thanks for the responses guys. I don't think the SG looks that good sorry. haha

i'm going to guitar center in a few days and try playing some esps and if they have them PRSs....PRSes? PResse? whatever.

THANKS so much.

Do you have a Sam Ash near you? Guitar Center doesn't carry ESP cause they suck dick. SA does though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X