I have been searching, and searching, and searching for a good mid-range axe with a little bit of a metal kick to it. I have been playing on a Silvertone Les Paul knock-off for two years now and have decided it is time for an upgrade. I want your opinion UG community, is this ibanez..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg3exfm1-electric-guitar

too good to be true?

Please tell me if I am making a mistake. I have read tons of reviews on UG, Musician's Friend, Guitar Center and a few other websites. I have not gotten the chance to see if any of my local music stores have this model so I can try it out, but i definitely think this is the one for me. EVEN IF YOU HAVEN'T HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS MODEL, BUT HAVE PLAYED RG-STYLE IBANEZ BEFORE, INPUT IS VALUABLE.

What do you think?

-Darth KP
Last edited by Darthkp at Mar 27, 2012,
I don't have experience with that particular model, but the Ibanez I had was even cheaper then that and it's still a solid guitar. The lower end Ibbys are fine especially if this is going to be your first decent guitar.

I think the ones to avoid are the GAX series and the GIO.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I don't have experience with that particular model, but the Ibanez I had was even cheaper then that and it's still a solid guitar. The lower end Ibbys are fine especially if this is going to be your first decent guitar.

I think the ones to avoid are the GAX series and the GIO.

Yes I've hear horror stories about the GIO
well it's a RG Ibanez, it tells a lot.. Pickups are not the best, but for that price the mics are brilliant.. If i was at your situation i would buy it.
Quote by Darthkp
Yes I've hear horror stories about the GIO

I had a GIO RG and another lower end one. It wasn't really a bad playing guitar per se, it just wouldn't stay in tune!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Not a top end guitar by any means, but I personally think it's great for $350 if that's what you're asking.
Ive played one, great player. the pick ups sound kinda dull tho...... find a used one and take the money you save and up grade the pickups
“More metal than your gran’s left hip.” - Paul Allender on his PRS signature guitar
Too good to be true? That model is actually the exact opposite - it's $50 overpriced because of the veneer, and it has the old crappy style bridge. The equivolent was the RG2EX1, but I guess that's not made anymore.

Get one of these instead. They're mahogany instead of basswood, but it's not really going to matter that much in this price range.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg321mh-electric-guitar/620737000002000

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rg321-electric-guitar/h64188

Just keep in mind that Ibanez necks are extremely thin - you have to like that style of neck. I don't play my Ibby very often, because the neck hurts my hand after playing for a little while.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 27, 2012,
make sure to try it before you buy and look for any imperfections. i had an ibanez s that played great but after a while i started finding lots of things wrong with it
Cheap ibby bodies are junk. I've owned 15+ ibbys, mostly rg's and have sold all but 3.
2 mij rg's and my first guitar. Not that any company in that $$ range is gonna give you anything decent.
Quote by Darthkp
What about the difference in PUPs?

For like $60 you can upgrade to something better than the V8 and V7. Pickups are easy and cheap to replace.