I'm having a little trouble with one of my band's songs.

I need to find the correct scale to play single notes over the rhythm guitar, so that i can create an "ambient" feeling, not very heavy nor very "evil" (to contrast with the rhythm guitar).
I'm looking to create an "ambient" like the lead guitar on this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m88v7oVPMZ4

Here's the tab for the heavy, slow, rhythm guitar (i have to play over):
[B]VERSE:[/B]
e|------------|
B|------------|
G|------------|
D|---7~----5~-|
A|--5~----5~--|
E|-0~----6~---|

[B]CHORUS:[/B]
e|---------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------|
D|-7-7-7-7-5-5-5-5-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-|
A|-7-7-7-7-5-5-5-5-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-|
E|-5-5-5-5-3-3-3-3-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-|

[B]BRIDGE/END:[/B]
e|------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-1010101010101010-11111111-11--11---11----11~~--------14~-----12~-|
A|-1010101010101010-11111111-11--11---11----11~~------14~-----12~---|
E|--8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8--9-9-9-9--9---9----9-----9~~----12~-----13~-----|

TL;DR: Which scale can i play over this so that it creates an ambient that's not very heavy nor evil?

Thank you very much for your help!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Don't worry about scales, just worry about notes and intervals - most scales share several notes between them anyway, what's going to matter to you here is sound. When you say "ambient" then that immediately makes me thing of slower paced melodys, extended
drone notes over chord changes, that kind of thing.

At that kind of pace it's more constructive, not to mention easier, to just listen to what you're doing and let your ear guide you. What you're really looking for is how the notes you choose will interact with and build on the chords you already have in place, so you'd be better served approaching it on a chord by chord rather than looking for a scale and look at notes that will give you chord extensions and inversions.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
When you say "ambient" then that immediately makes me thing of slower paced melodys, extended drone notes over chord changes, that kind of thing.

Yes, that's exactly what i want to do in this song.

Quote by steven seagull
At that kind of pace it's more constructive, not to mention easier, to just listen to what you're doing and let your ear guide you. What you're really looking for is how the notes you choose will interact with and build on the chords you already have in place, so you'd be better served approaching it on a chord by chord rather than looking for a scale and look at notes that will give you chord extensions and inversions.

That's usually my modus operandi when writing music (especially because my music theory knowledge is next to none).

But for this song, my ear tends to guide me to a heavy, "evil" sounding melody... And i want to play something more... "ethereal", if you know what i mean, to contrast with the heavyness of the song's rhythm.
So i thought that if i knew what scale to play notes from to this specific end, i could just memorize that scale and play the notes almost blindly, and they would work.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
So i thought that if i knew what scale to play notes from to this specific end, i could just memorize that scale and play the notes almost blindly, and they would work.

Nope. That's not going to happen. It's not a question of scale, it's a question of note selection. There isn't an "ambient scale."

My advice would be to spend a few days figuring out, by ear, what's going on in songs that achieve the effect that you're after. Make sure you figure out the rhythm part, too, since it's the contrast that's helping create the sound you're after. That will help break you out of your default "evil-sounding" place.
Like mentioned above, drone notes over chords along with intervallic changes Also use pedals. I hear ambient I think delay and reverb pedals.

edit: One reason you may be hearing an evil sound, particularly in your end, may because of the rythmn use of harmonic minor.
Last edited by IfellFromHeaven at Mar 27, 2012,
Quote by Linkerman
Yes, that's exactly what i want to do in this song.

That's usually my modus operandi when writing music (especially because my music theory knowledge is next to none).

But for this song, my ear tends to guide me to a heavy, "evil" sounding melody... And i want to play something more... "ethereal", if you know what i mean, to contrast with the heavyness of the song's rhythm.

I'd hazard a guess that there's two related things that are giving you your "evil" sound, overuse of chromatics and playing things too sequentially.

Use your ears but experiment with wider intervals and avoid chromatic sequences in this situation, they'll make things feel bunched up and unsettled - it sounds almost too easy, but more space between your notes will give you more "space" in the sound, don't be afraid to jump more than an octave when moving between notes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thank you all for your help!

Also, i'm going to try like you said, Mark, and increase the space between each note played even more, to see if that "opens up my mind" in the sense that allows me to figure out how to achieve the mood i want to transmit.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Recommended threads