OK here goes…….got a phone call Weds asking me to come to an audition Sat, got MP3 emailed to me and three days to learn 3 fairly tricky proggy sort of songs by ear. Got two of them pretty much sussed, but at audition they were playing the third one which was a bit of a problem. Got to the point where the main man actually took my bass off me in front of the others to show me how to play it.

Whilst I appreciate it's his song and set up, I was quite humiliated and didn't hide my feelings. A few kind words later on from both sides though. Q: return if asked or not? Either practice, practice, practice, or put it down to experience? I left with the impression that if they get someone in better, that will be that. (I know that's what auditions are for of course)
Quote by WibbleWobble
Q: return if asked or not?

Why not? The best way to improve is by getting out there and playing with other people. That's all the better if they're better/more experienced then you, you'll learn from them, improve your chops, and gain some experience playing with a group. And if they call you back, it's because you're the best that auditioned and/or they think you would be the best fit for their band.

If they don't call you back, then c'est la vie. Keep practicing and look forward to the next chance you get.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Yeah what have you got to lose? If you can play the stuff and like playing it, then do it.

What he did didn't sound too terrible. If you were messing it up, he just wanted to show how it was played so there were no problems.
Suck up your pride, man.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by Tostitos
Why not? The best way to improve is by getting out there and playing with other people. That's all the better if they're better/more experienced then you, you'll learn from them, improve your chops, and gain some experience playing with a group. And if they call you back, it's because you're the best that auditioned and/or they think you would be the best fit for their band.

If they don't call you back, then c'est la vie. Keep practicing and look forward to the next chance you get.

this a hundred times.

I'm not experienced in auditions, but i understand it could be an uncomfortable moment. still, you could get two of the songs down, and it's kinda unprofesional from them to send you demos. they should have given you the sheets...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
did they let you play either or the two that you said you had down?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Sudaka
it's kinda unprofesional from them to send you demos. they should have given you the sheets...

I have to disagree here. I have very rarely been provided with sheet music for any sort of audition. Especially with any sort of rock band. The only time I had sheet music for an audition was for high school jazz and concert band.

Its probably best to get used to learning a bands material from their demos or CD's.
Auditions are horrible. For both sides. If you are being auditioned you just feel so nervous and if you are auditioning people you know you are going to trample on someone's dreams and pride.

In the end you will take the 'best' person you can get and they may have the love child of James Jamerson and Carol Kaye turn up so don't beat yourself up about it if you don't get the nod. There's a lot of luck in all this.

You need to be thinking if you want to play with them. Were they as good as they said, they were playing their own songs remember. Was the 'main man' an insensitive idiot or genuinely trying to help, or even just as uncomfortable as you. You could end up spending a lot of time together. Take the time to decide if you want the gig. Frankly, if you nailed two songs in two days with no chord charts you did a good job.
Quote by Pandawithapick
I have to disagree here. I have very rarely been provided with sheet music for any sort of audition. Especially with any sort of rock band. The only time I had sheet music for an audition was for high school jazz and concert band.

Its probably best to get used to learning a bands material from their demos or CD's.

if it's very rarely, which i know it is, it's because they aren't many nor professional nor musicians playing out there. they could not hand the sheets either because they can't write them (non musician type of thing, the way i see it), or they just don't put 10 minutes on effort on writing them down (unprofessional).

With this i don't mean their music should suck, they're loosers or whatever. there's a lot off people that can play and compose good things without knowing the basics such as writing on a pentagram. but i think that writing on a pentagarm is not only a way of writing like a tab could be, but i way to really understand the notes value, the rythm, and also a way of knowing the notes being played.

If they do know how to write, but they didn't that is a major flaw. they can't get that lazy, particularly if they're looking somebody good, or suitable.

I agree that it is good to be able to learn a bands material from their demos. An dit isn't a matter of what happens the most, or with rock bands, for me it should always be like that.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by WibbleWobble
OK here goes…….got a phone call Weds asking me to come to an audition Sat, got MP3 emailed to me and three days to learn 3 fairly tricky proggy sort of songs by ear. Got two of them pretty much sussed, but at audition they were playing the third one which was a bit of a problem. Got to the point where the main man actually took my bass off me in front of the others to show me how to play it. )

Sounds like an ego/power type thing.
I mean really.... why would the "main man" not want to hear you play on the tunes you worked on? You nailed 2 of 3 and Mr Big focuses on the third? BS.
And if someone tried to take my bass out of my hands in that respect, or disrespect... I'm gone. Hopefully without bloodshed.
Quote by Sudaka
if it's very rarely, which i know it is, it's because they aren't many nor professional nor musicians playing out there. they could not hand the sheets either because they can't write them (non musician type of thing, the way i see it), or they just don't put 10 minutes on effort on writing them down (unprofessional).

There are alot of awesome professional musicians that can play their asses of and write awesome music but don't know how to write a single thing down. especially with something proggy or rockish or metalish where a good portion of the players are self taught ear players. while at least a tab would be helpful, it is common practice to send a demo for someone to learn by ear. I've actually auditioned after learning the songs by ear and the band was surprised that I did that without them showing me anything.
But yeah, playing the song that you don't know is ridiculous, even if you didn't learn all the songs, the fact that you got 2 down is great. Did you even get to play those?
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>