Hey all!

So i'm not going to make a long prologue about this, so i'll get right to it.

I am like all of you, learning the guitar and learning to play/make/understand music.
One of my weakest areas though is chords and chord progressions.

I know how to construct chords, and how to make extensions of chords (maj7, minor7, 7th, add9, 9, etc) and such. But i want to take it a step futher and study abit more bizarre and exotic chords and how they fit together with other chords. So knowing how chord extensions fit together would be nice, also getting into more uncommon chord extensions.

I also want to study how you can move between chords, change key and using passing notes. And i don't know any theory behind how chord progressions work so therefor this is rather difficult. Getting to know how to make chord progressions would therefor be nice.

Examples of artist chord work i really admire (so far, i'm constantly looking for more players. Advice is appreciated. ) are: Eric Johnson, Steve vai (the more wierd songs, not so much the rock ones), Joe satriani, John petrucci, Allan holdsworth etc)

I am very much searching for websites or books, but any information will do really. I've been trying to find (and still are trying) information, but with little to no success so far.

Tl:dr'ers, check there highlighted lines.
(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please tell me if it is and i will gladly post it elsewhere!)

Thanks in advance!
Sick
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Last edited by Sickz at Mar 27, 2012,
Probably a new world to delve in to if all you like is Metal Metal Metal. You may want to look at studying Jazz Harmony.

Also, the guys in Musician Talk will eat this thread for breakfast.
Are you saying that you learnt chord extensions before learning how to actually make chord progressions ?

EDIT: This has nothing to do with technique so a mod should probably move it to Musician Talk
Last edited by SuperWeirdoUG at Mar 27, 2012,
I strongly recommend posting this on Musician Talk.

Do you know how an authentic cadence (V-I) works? As far as I know a lot of chord extensions rely on voice leading which has a lot to do with notes moving into a direction or another like the tritone in V7-I.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Last edited by Flibo at Mar 27, 2012,
I'd recommend learning some Beatles songs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
Are you saying that you learnt chord extensions before learning how to actually make chord progressions ?

EDIT: This has nothing to do with technique so a mod should probably move it to Musician Talk

Well, yes and no.
I know how to make chord progressions from scales and such. Like in every major scale you have 3 major chords (the I - IV and V chord) and 3 minor chords (the ii - iii and vi chord) and 1 diminished chord (the vii). I simply know how to make Pop progressions, not anything hard at all.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
Quote by mdc
Probably a new world to delve in to if all you like is Metal Metal Metal. You may want to look at studying Jazz Harmony.

Also, the guys in Musician Talk will eat this thread for breakfast.

I've got a pretty wide musical taste, but that's beside the point at the moment. Any books or anything like that you would recommend for studying jazz harmony?

Quote by Guthrie Govan

Quote by Chick Corea
if your serious about learning chords i suggest you learn all the chord inversions of the chords within a major scale ..learn them on all string sets and in all keys..(triads & 4-note chords!)

this will take you quite a while (months at least) to absorbe..but..your knowledge of diatonic harmony will now have a very strong foundation..

read/study/get a teacher..to further understand harmonic principles..voice leading is what you origional question relates to..moving from chord to chord..

to see what is possible--book recommendation: ted greene..modern chord progressions

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Mar 28, 2012,