Hi all,

I really need to upgrade my amp, and I just wanted some peoples input as I’m not really that experienced. I’m upgrading from a 15w BC rich incinerator and currently playing BC rich wartribe, however I like to play all sorts of music so I’m looking for something pretty versatile. Inbuilt effects would be a bonus so I don’t have to bother with pedals, but sound quality is most important. I only play in the house at the moment but I’d like something big enough to play with other people. I have a budget of around £300 ($450?) but I don’t want be upgrading again for a while so I wouldn’t be against spending a bit more.

The three I’m considering, in order of preference are:

Fender Mustang 3
Vox VT40+
Line 6 Spider 4 75w

Thoughts, recommendations, opinions, pros/cons?

Thank you
For $450 grab yourself a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. That will slaughter all three of the choices you've listed.
Thanks for your recommendations, a few people seem to like Peavey I'll check them out.

Anyone else?
I second the vypyr tube.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Where's the cheapest place to get one in the UK? Best price I could find was £439.

Thanks
Quote by stevand
Where's the cheapest place to get one in the UK? Best price I could find was £439.

Thanks

Go used.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I haven't got a problem getting a used one, I think I'd probably prefer that, I just can't find one for sale. Anyone know where I might get one?

Thanks for all your help guys.
There's one here. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-VYPYR-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-/200724925113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebc234ab9

I'm in America, so I can't see how much shipping is to you (or maybe it's just not listed). It shouldn't be too far over your budget though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You have to be careful buying amps from the US because of mains voltage differences. A lot of American amps aren't dual voltage.

TS: Try to find a used Laney VH100R. Not sure if you'll find one for your budget. If you are going to find a cheap used Laney the UK is the place to be though.
A Vyper tube will suit you too. The only drawback with those over a real tube amp though is the lack of dynamics. That probably won't be an issue if you are a beginner though. In fact it may be desirable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So far I've managed to find:

Used Laney VC30 - £250
Used Vox ad50 - £60
Used Marshall 100w valvestate - £100
New Fender Mustang 3 - £195

I'm not sure whether to buy a cheaper amp for now and try to save for something like the vypyr? Do any of these seem worth it?

Thanks for everyone's help.
Last edited by stevand at Mar 28, 2012,
The laney VC30 is a great amp for classic rock, clean and indie tone if you want metal or modern hard rock tones a od or distortion pedal would be needed - one of these will do it - http://www.gak.co.uk/en/digitech-dbm-bad-monkey/1597 or if you need heavier tones - http://www.gak.co.uk/en/electro-harmonix-metal-muff/1822
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Thanks for your reply because I wont actually get to try any of these so I really need peoples suggestions (and yes I know everyone's different etc.) There's too many to choose from, it's making my head hurt....

So far my list of possibilities stands at:

Used Laney VC30 - £250
Used Vox ad50 - £60
Used Marshall 100w valvestate - £100
New Fender Mustang 3 - £195
New Vox VT40+ - £179

Anyone else?
That's all pretty much junk except for the Laney.

I'll stick to my suggestion that you should save/search for a Vypyr Tube.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm thinking about getting the mustang. Seems like a great amp for the price.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Hahah, I'm going to try for the Vyper tube but I don't know if I'll be able to afford/find one. If not I'm going for the Laney and a bunch of pedals.

Thanks everyone, I think you guys have definitely saved me from buying something crap.
What genres of music do you play. Everyone here likes the vypry because it does metal well. The fender mustang IMO is better for cleans and low gain stuff.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I like to try a bit of everything really, I'm never really sure of what music falls into which genre, but if I had to narrow it down my favourites artists they would be: Guns n roses, Clapton, Beck, Def leppard, Kiss, Skynyrd.
Last edited by stevand at Mar 28, 2012,