I am an intermediate player, and I have so far progressed relatively quickly, and have been able to learn easily. I never had much of a problem with my fingertips hurting, and when they did, it never really bothered me. Recently, I began learning the song Jessica, by the Allman Brothers. All of a sudden, after practicing a bend on the high "e" string (10th fret), I noticed that my fingertips quickly began hurting.

I am using 3 fingers, with my ring finger on the 10th fret. My middle finger is usually the most callused, but in this case, it hurts the most. I figured that by today (It started yesterday night) it would be healed and I could play again, but I find that it still hurts just as much as yesterday.

Is this my technique? Im not bending with my finger joints and I am almost positive I have good bending technique. If not, what could be causing this problem?
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Gibson SG Special w/ SD 59's
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Is the pain a burning sensation on the tip or is it more of your finger is really sore?
Quote by Mem101
Is the pain a burning sensation on the tip or is it more of your finger is really sore?

What's the meaning/difference of these two pains?
Last edited by Nitnatsnok at Mar 27, 2012,
It's more like a bruise-type thing, I guess. More under the skin.
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Gibson SG Special w/ SD 59's
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Because Dickey Betts and Duane Allman (even more so) make so many extreme bends in their style of play your fingertips will become sore a bruised. Give it a rest for a couple of days and then the pain should dissappear. Eventually your fingers will toughen up enough to handle it.

You can always cheat a little, play some of the bends moving up a fret or two and bend then slide back down to the correct fret, do this until you have learned the song and then slowly work in the wider bends the correct way, by then your fingertips should be able to handle it.

If your going to get into that type of bending, then expect to break lots of strings.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
file your callused tips ... you want your finger tips alive..they will still be covered with a soft layer of callused skin..but you will note after a while you wont have to strain as much to get the correct note in a bend..

tip: practice doing a scale in bends...that is.. start on the top E string 5th fret the A note..bend it to Bb..do this until you can get the note with minimum effort ...DONT hold the bend .. get the note to register and release it quickly..when your comfortable with that and can get the note in you muscle memory..bend it a full tone to B..again dont hold the bend..just register the note and release it quickly..practice this until you KNOW the feel of bending a half tone and a full tone..now move to the 7th fret...bend the B note a half step to C then a full tone to C# .. continue this until you are at the 16th fret G# bending into A...

now try and play the A scale in bends..from 5th fret bend to B .. from 7th fret bend to C# etc

try that in several keys..then try it on the B string..and G string..in time you should be able to play any key in "bends" using the three top strings..

hope this helps