thinking about cutting some of the head stock off my epiphone dot...there is about 2 inches of extra wood on the end of the head stock and the guitar is super neck heavy. I don't really give a shit what a looks like, or resale value since I've already refinished the neck and it has a lot of pick wear above the strings and i'm modding it (yes it is true what they say, the pickups are sucktacious).

I'm 99% sure this won't affect anything structurally, but if it wood (buh dung psh) let me know. I'm really just wondering if this will even make any difference as that chunk of wood can't weigh more than an ounce or two. Thanks for any input.
lol its not going to make the guitar noticeably lighter if thats your intention...
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
lol its not going to make the guitar noticeably lighter if thats your intention...

I don't really want it to be lighter in the true sense, just less neck heavy. It dives real bad without holding the neck.
Quote by Spud Spudly
I have a Sheraton and it definitely dives. You need a stickier strap. Suede is good.

yeah thats the simple answer but I like ****ing with stuff lol
Quote by treysonpwaters
yeah thats the simple answer but I like ****ing with stuff lol

Well everybody has already told you what will happen if that's all you do to the guitar; a thick, wide and high friction strap will stop neck dive much more than cutting off a few grams worth of wood from the headstock
Well then cut the two inches off the top and glue it to the bottom. Then you'll get twice the effect. Though two times nothing still equals nothing.
Quote by Spud Spudly
Well then cut the two inches off the top and glue it to the bottom. Then you'll get twice the effect. Though two times nothing still equals nothing.

hahaha yh, do that^ and then tape some weights onto the bottom of your guitar as well
Quote by Spud Spudly
Or just pour some concrete in the f-holes.

I've heard sand works particularly well...
Normally I would counsel against a modification such as you are suggesting, but something tells me that for YOU, this is the right thing to do. I don't know you, but from what little you told us about yourself, I take you to be an independent thinking young man, one who is not afraid to go against convention, and one who values function over form. And I say GOOD FOR YOU! Go ahead and whack that headstock off. It's YOUR guitar, and this can be a statement to the world who you are.

...oh, and just one more thing. At the risk of being presumptuous, you strike me as the sort of player who leaves the ends of the strings untrimmed... my apologies if I'm wrong about this. But in any case, if you do, you might consider trimming them close to the tuner post, as the dangling ends have about the same effect on neck-dive as the extra two inches of headstock.

Best of luck in your endeavor!
You could add a weight down by your pin strap. I mean, seriously. Why did cutting your guitar apart come to your head as the first and only solution?
Quote by stormin1155
Normally I would counsel against a modification such as you are suggesting, but something tells me that for YOU, this is the right thing to do. I don't know you, but from what little you told us about yourself, I take you to be an independent thinking young man, one who is not afraid to go against convention, and one who values function over form. And I say GOOD FOR YOU! Go ahead and whack that headstock off. It's YOUR guitar, and this can be a statement to the world who you are.

...oh, and just one more thing. At the risk of being presumptuous, you strike me as the sort of player who leaves the ends of the strings untrimmed... my apologies if I'm wrong about this. But in any case, if you do, you might consider trimming them close to the tuner post, as the dangling ends have about the same effect on neck-dive as the extra two inches of headstock.

Best of luck in your endeavor!

Someone's over-thinking this... He didn't ask for a personality evaluation and he's not trying to find himself. He just wants to lop off some wood from his headstock
Quote by JustRooster
You could add a weight down by your pin strap. I mean, seriously. Why did cutting your guitar apart come to your head as the first and only solution?

I was going to suggest the same, but figured it would come across as a joke. So yes, I would go this route to balance things out. I was thinking lead fishing weights tied to the rear strap pin. This would allow you to adjust the balance until it feels comfortable to you, while allowing you to return the guitar to stock status if you decide to sell it.
Some fishing sinkers hung off the rear strap mount will do a good job too, plus if you paint the, shiny they will add some bling factor
Lol you guys are crazy. I never said its the only solution or first one that came to mind or anything of the sort. And Considering a guitar weighs what like seven pounds and is rather long it wouldn't take much weight to balance it out, so even though I expressed my own doubt in the original post, this isn't really that far fetched. And how in the hell would I know how much 2x3 peice of wood off a headstock would weigh? I also never said I got the guitar on the saw bench just waiting for the dudes on UG to give the go ahead lol, get a hold of yourselves. And I guess I don't cut off string ends (And is this bad now or mean something about ones personality?) Wtf? Retard. But thanks for the pointless response. And I've seen people put little metal rings under the strap pin to do it, I just didn't realize they weighed 15 pounds. Thanks for the stupid ass answers everyone. Well almost everyone.
Last edited by treysonpwaters at Mar 27, 2012,
add another strap button at a the point you like it balancing at and use that for your strap's anchor point.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by treysonpwaters
Lol you guys are crazy. I never said its the only solution or first one that came to mind or anything of the sort. And Considering a guitar weighs what like seven pounds and is rather long it wouldn't take much weight to balance it out, so even though I expressed my own doubt in the original post, this isn't really that far fetched. And how in the hell would I know how much 2x3 peice of wood off a headstock would weigh? I also never said I got the guitar on the saw bench just waiting for the dudes on UG to give the go ahead lol, get a hold of yourselves. And I guess I don't cut off string ends (And is this bad now or mean something about ones personality?) Wtf? Retard. But thanks for the pointless response. And I've seen people put little metal rings under the strap pin to do it, I just didn't realize they weighed 15 pounds. Thanks for the stupid ass answers everyone. Well almost everyone.

In that case I'd just cut the thing in half and convert it to a ukelele.
Quote by thehikingdude
In that case I'd just cut the thing in half and convert it to a ukelele.

+1

Maybe consider using it as glorified firewood? You could even donate it to a nature preserve as a snazzy birdhouse.
-Jake Blackwood
Quote by treysonpwaters
I don't really want it to be lighter in the true sense, just less neck heavy. It dives real bad without holding the neck.

well if its not going to relieve much weight.....the it wont balance it any......because its not reducing any weight.....

see what i did there?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Forget about the weight and the dipping!
I just bought an epi es 175 to twiddle around with
and the first thing I'm gonna do is lop off that Victorian headstone!!!
I've always hated how they look.

"Here lies Epiphone, R.I.P".

Then It will fit in a stock case or gig bag!!!
GO DUDE! Don't spare the cutter!
Post a picture after and I will too!
I bet we start a trend...
Last edited by Kwestking at Feb 22, 2013,