Page 1 of 5
I am British and was contemplating moving to Australia for the healthier weather and better job climate however i dont really think i could move away from the UK if that makes sense. I am pretty proud of my country despite recent stuff. It got me thinking are you proud of your country and why?
Yeah. Some things I'm damn proud of.

Some things I know I won't be able to same right now and in the future.

Talkin' bout Canada ya'll.
We got great stuff here.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I'm ambivalent towards it. I enjoy the fact it is a secular nation which promotes equal rights, but I dislike the fact it's effectively little more than America's groupie and that it has a such an obnoxiously bland weather system.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by whoomit
Yeah we have great teen pregnancy and alcoholism rates.

Don't forget about the casual violence and elephant polo as well.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
Btw im not just talking about Britain but all countrys. Im just wondering why and what you are proud of in your country.
Ban all countries. One planet. Together we will explore space. For ever.
Please question culture and your education.
In the past 10 years or so, I think i've come to the conclusion that the United States is not that great of a country. Politics, healthcare, what have you, are terrible.

On positive terms however, I am from Nova Scotia and am very proud of it. A beautiful territory that really has no tension with anyone else what so ever. PEACEFUL.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by Japgun
Ban all countries. One planet. Together we will explore space. For ever.
Please question culture and your education.

Whut?
I have no reason to be proud of my country. I don't run it, its success is in no way based on my performance.
I simply live here.
I like my country though.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Quote by WaitWhat?

We couldn't have one without the other.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
No. It's not my place to be proud of my country. I am however proud of many of this nation's people, but not the country in its whole. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy this country and many things about it, it just means that pride isn't what I should be feeling.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
In the past 10 years or so, I think i've come to the conclusion that the United States is not that great of a country. Politics, healthcare, what have you, are terrible.

On positive terms however, I am from Nova Scotia and am very proud of it. A beautiful territory that really has no tension with anyone else what so ever. PEACEFUL.

Nova Scotia's awesome.

Plus the trailer park boys are from there.

And it's just neat. Also went to Peggy's cove, that was sick.
Britian is a beautifull country when its actually sunny :P its just a pity that rarely happens.
I still really don't get nationalism or 'being proud of your country'. I just don't get it. I'm okay with living here; Legalized marijuana, crime rates aren't that bad, pretty good social security, it's okay. But why should I be proud of something I don't have that much to do with? I was just born here, and now I live here, how is that something to be proud of? It's not really an accomplishment.
Tell me who's that writin'...
Slightly relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vh-wEXvdW8

Quote by Kylianvb
I still really don't get nationalism or 'being proud of your country'. I just don't get it. I'm okay with living here; Legalized marijuana, crime rates aren't that bad, pretty good social security, it's okay. But why should I be proud of something I don't have that much to do with? I was just born here, and now I live here, how is that something to be proud of? It's not really an accomplishment.

You don't have to have accomplished something yourself to be proud of it. If your friend gave up smoking, you could be proud of him, for example.
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Mar 27, 2012,
Would you be proud of your family if they were a bunch of corrupted, unorganized, posy wanky headless chickens?

On the other hand, Italy from an aesthetic point of view is beautiful..
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by WaitWhat?

Ooh ooh ooh! Racism and our notorious dental hygiene!
Quote by Zox
I have no reason to be proud of my country. I don't run it, its success is in no way based on my performance.
I simply live here.
I like my country though.

Pride is not an entirely personal feeling.
Quote by Todd Hart
Pride is not an entirely personal feeling.

I don't understand what you mean.
It's just that nationalism/national pride strikes me as hilariously quaint.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Last edited by Zox at Mar 27, 2012,
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
You don't have to have accomplished something yourself to be proud of it. If your friend gave up smoking, you could be proud of him, for example.

Fair point, but I really don't have anything to do with the people who rule this country, or have ruled it in the past. I could be proud of someone I know and love, of course, but I don't know every single one of the 17 million people in this country... I don't see why I should be more proud of the accomplishments of 'my people' than of the accomplishments of others.
Tell me who's that writin'...
I have no reason to be.

Now do I enjoy living here? That's a better question, and besides the annoyances, I do enjoy living in the US.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Nah it would be like being proud of my skin colour and we all know how that ends.
SMILE!
Quote by Zox
I don't understand what you mean.

You can feel pride for something achieved by others, due to association. Not having personally effected anything major your country of birth has done doesn't mean you cannot feel pride for its achievements (or for the achievements of people/country's that aren't associated to you at all).

It's just that nationalism/national pride strikes me as hilariously quaint.

It's a fairly standard emotional response to admirable acts in people or groups with which you can associate with.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Mar 27, 2012,
Yes, I guess so. England can be quite a beautiful place. There's lots of good things. I don't like how spineless the people running it can be, though.
Quote by Kylianvb
Fair point, but I really don't have anything to do with the people who rule this country, or have ruled it in the past. I could be proud of someone I know and love, of course, but I don't know every single one of the 17 million people in this country... I don't see why I should be more proud of the accomplishments of 'my people' than of the accomplishments of others.

You really don't get watching sports, do you?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Don't move to Australia then be like, Oh it's to hot here, there's to many kiwi's here............ I will hunt you down!
Portugal used to be cool. Conquering lands, gettin them slaves, sailing and exploring, teaching the British about tea time, those cool hats. Now were kinda lame, all we have left is soccer and decriminalization of drugs
Quote by Todd Hart
You can feel pride for something achieved by others, due to association. Not having personally effected anything major your country of birth has done doesn't mean you cannot feel pride for its achievements (or for the achievements of people/country's that aren't associated to you at all).

It's a fairly standard emotional response to admirable acts in people or groups with which you can associate with.

Maybe if i was personal friends with the prime minister, but alas, i am not.
I have very little in common with my fellow swedes (apart from the pure chance of being born in the same geographic region) that warrants me to feel pride for their achievements.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Yes, I guess so. England can be quite a beautiful place. There's lots of good things. I don't like how spineless the people running it can be, though.

Same its a bit weird how we sold our aircraft carriers too :I.
Page 1 of 5