I have to do something for my tone, i just can't seem to get clear tone when playing distorted chords. For example the pretender by Foo Fighters etc type of songs. it's just blur.

I've tried to adjust everything, but no.. they sound well clean, so it can't be my technique, or can it?

My gear atm at home is, Roland 15w cube, connected to V-amp 2. Guitar is ESP-Ltd Mh-1000 Deluxe. V-amp 2 seems to be better at sounds than Korg 3000g.

At band space i got some ibanex cab (can't get the name to my head), and ibanex head 150w connected thru that korg 3000g.

My rhythm and lead sounds are ok, only thing i can't get well is those chords. Of course it goes a bit blurry when distorted, but those go way too blurry, no matter what i try to do.

I consider myself a newbie in tone editing/gear, i have just played guitar. I love to play, so i haven't really spend time to play with millions of tones etc. Tho i maybe should have...
Last edited by Black_star87 at Mar 27, 2012,
So, you looking for good articulation? A good tube amp is what I would get for that.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Grittines seems exaclty what i am looking for! How can i achieve that?

Tube amp would be cool, and is on the list to buy when i got money. just lost my job, and studying for a new one atm.
I would pay really close attention to your mids, they will affect the clarity of the tone quite a lot, especially for chords. As was mentioned earlier, backing off the distortion usually helps, too.

EDIT: seriously, though, seljer is probably right.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
seljer has probably identified your problem right there, too much gain
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Also if the pups in that axe of yours are emg's, they might give a bit too much output.
Try lowering their volume a bit.
Some of the heaviest guitar sounds I've heard have been made with lower gain settings than most people would think you would need for the type of music being played.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by jukejointjohnny
Some of the heaviest guitar sounds I've heard have been made with lower gain settings than most people would think you would need for the type of music being played.

this is very true. also keep in mind that when recording you get sound saturation which makes a distorted sound sound even more distorted than it is. this is a very common mistake made by guys recoding for the first time (myself included). you use your awesome distortion tone and the result when recorded is that it's to distorted. the original recording you are listening to was likely done with less distortion than you think allowing for greater definition of the chord notes. good eqing etc also plays a big part.
Quote by monwobobbo
this is very true. also keep in mind that when recording you get sound saturation which makes a distorted sound sound even more distorted than it is. this is a very common mistake made by guys recoding for the first time (myself included). you use your awesome distortion tone and the result when recorded is that it's to distorted. the original recording you are listening to was likely done with less distortion than you think allowing for greater definition of the chord notes. good eqing etc also plays a big part.

Wouldn't that depend on the quality of the recording equipment ?
Quote by alans056
Wouldn't that depend on the quality of the recording equipment ?

no not really it's just one of those things that is part of the recording process. back when tape was used you'd get tape saturation. even in digital recording using all digital you still get this. i imagine that some of the more high end recorders would be a little better about the distortion thing but so far it has beeen my experience that you still get some added distortion sound regardless.
Everything sounds different in a full band situation as well. For example, the low end you hear in a lot of metal has a lot to do with the bass player tracking the rhythm guitar note for note sometimes. Sounds great, but if you try to dial that much bass into your amp it'll be a muddy mess.

Anyway, for that type of sound I'd use the clean channel on a good tube amp with an OD like the tubescreamer out front. Adds just the right amount of grit, and you still get the dynamics of playing clean and loud.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
especially when layering guitars, gain starts to stack up a lot. keeping it low leaves articulation and layering guitars adds the thickness you'd usually use gain for in a live setting.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::