Page 1 of 2
No one posts in the acoustic forums....so for those that play acoustic (or electric works too) here:

I read once somewhere that in addition to practice and hard work, taking your guitar with you everywhere you go (obviously within reason) will help you improve your playing. Essentially the idea being that you never know when you'll have 10 min or an hour of down time that you can bust it out and play a lick or two. I try to take my guitar with me whenever I think I may have the opportunity to play it. I used to take it to work and a coworker and myself would play on our lunch hour. I just started a new job so I haven't been doing that yet, but I was walking downtown and saw through a window that some guy had his guitar in his office.

How about you guys, anyone bring their guitar with them everywhere they go?
Errr... nope.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
no.. i would like to but i'm a little shy playing when other people are watching. and i would really really hate dragging the damn thing with me all the time
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Well, yes, but only because of an accident involving some epoxy resin.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
It may slightly improve your playing, but it's also the quickest way of becoming a douchebag. I'd definitely recommend against it.
I was thinking about taking mine to work again in a month or so once it stays warm outside....and I was thinking about starting lessons up downtown again. However I'm curious to know if I'll get hassled as a busker (looking for a permit) if I try to practice in a park or something somewhere.
i walk my guitar and amp to school everyday, i built some serious muscle, les pauls weigh a ton
Quote by darkstar2466
You will get large cacti inserted into your anus for the heinous crime of piracy.

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I wanna go down on you Jesus, I wanna feel your salvation all over my face

My signature lacks content.
It is, however, blue.
Don't think Mr. Office Guy is so cool. There are plenty of d-bags who keep guitars around just to look cool every though they can't play.
Quote by samick007
It may slightly improve your playing, but it's also the quickest way of becoming a douchebag. I'd definitely recommend against it.

I can DEFINITELY see where you're coming from. When I used to take it to work (I took lessons after work) I was worried about looking pretentious and d-baggy. However you live in CA, so I'm sure that magnifies the d-bag ratio at unquantifiable rates. I don't think in the midwest you have as much to worry about in terms of coming off that way. As a matter of fact CA is pretty much the capitol.
too much work. nearly got in a verbal altercation with some dickhead at my mom's work when i was younger and happened to have my guitar with me when i went there. guy asked me "if i actually played, or just carried it around with me"
Quote by Spud Spudly
Don't think Mr. Office Guy is so cool. There are plenty of d-bags who keep guitars around just to look cool every though they can't play.

You very well might be right. All I kept thinking about though was the various episodes of The Office where Andy and Dwight and several other characters form bands and jam. And for a second my heart fluttered and I thought, maybe The Office is real??
Nah, but I bring my drumkit everywhere.

"Everywhere I go, bitches always know, Callum Thomson plays his drumkit and he steals the show."
No, because I'm not a ****.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
No, It won't help you improve. In fact, I believe that having a small period of time away from your guitar is a good thing,. IMO, after a small break you view your playing in a different light (More enthusiastic to play), and experience different ways of playing.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Nah I don't take my guitar(s) school, though I would love to because I want to practice.

Why don't I bring it?
-There are other guitarists and bands at my school who are competitive
-I'll look like a wannabe because nobody knows I actually play
-I'm not good enough
-I'm pretty sure I'll look like a douchebag

But I must admit that I would feel really cool having my guitar with me at school considering that I can actually play my OWN lick and my OWN songs.

I sound like a douchbage now don't I?
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Quote by Archer18
No, It won't help you improve. In fact, I believe that having a small period of time away from your guitar is a good thing,. IMO, after a small break you view your playing in a different light (More enthusiastic to play), and experience different ways of playing.

A fair point. And I'm sure you're right. However if you think about it in terms of working 8-10 hours a day, get home and need to eat and take care of things, there really isn't much time for playing except for weekends. If you have it with you, maybe you can squeeze some time in.
also, have you ever held a guitar in front of a group of people? most are annoying twats and request 15 songs as if they're required knowledge of all guitarists.

"can you play x"
"no"
"oh... how about y"
"no"
"how about..."
"**** off, kindly"
No. My guitars are pretty expensive and I could not afford to replace them if they got stolen.
Quote by BoyLilikoi
You very well might be right. All I kept thinking about though was the various episodes of The Office where Andy and Dwight and several other characters form bands and jam. And for a second my heart fluttered and I thought, maybe The Office is real??

A very good friend of mine who also happens to be the highest salaried office guy I know has a beautiful black Gretsch 5122 at home on a stand in his living room and he cannot play that thing one bit. He got tired of it and offered to sell it to me "at cost," to which I replied, "Gee, you mean you'll sell me your two-year old used one for the same price I can buy a new one? How generous." He still has it.
I take my guitar with me when ever I leave town, even just an overnight stay it is nice to have something to play on. I have found it helps me to play in front of people better. I used to think that it was stupid back in college and high school when I saw some guy luggin around his guitar, but then again I had not started playing yet. I guess I must have been secretly jealous that they could play. If I saw someone in the office with a guitar I think I would want to jam with them. If they couldn't play I would have to borrow it on lunches vs. bringing mine in. lol

It is one thing if you are just carrying a guitar around to be a cool guy or something. But if you just like to play all the time more power to you, and the better you will become.....
Epiphone - Hummingbird
Fender/Squire - Telecaster (Standard)
Dean - Acoustic Flying V
Wasburn - HB30
Fender - Telecousic
Peavey -VYPYR15
Quote by whoomit
Nah, but I bring my drumkit everywhere.

"Everywhere I go, bitches always know, Callum Thomson plays his drumkit and he steals the show."

A guy here in town sets up his drumkit in the back of his van then goes to practice, jamming along to classic rock songs on the grass by the side of the freeway
Quote by seljer
A guy here in town sets up his drumkit in the back of his van then goes to practice, jamming along to classic rock songs on the grass by the side of the freeway

... I need to buy a van.... and hire a driver...
It makes sense but I just don't like the idea of being that guy who plays in every place possible looking like he's just trying to get attention...
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
It depends on where I'm going, I guess. I would never take it to work but I do almost always take my acoustic with me to my friends house.
E-Daughter of Stealstrings and Flaxen Angel

Sometimes our fear of failing...
...Keeps us from succeeding.

I love Ryan
Quote by Country Cat
I take my guitar with me when ever I leave town, even just an overnight stay it is nice to have something to play on. I have found it helps me to play in front of people better. I used to think that it was stupid back in college and high school when I saw some guy luggin around his guitar, but then again I had not started playing yet. I guess I must have been secretly jealous that they could play. If I saw someone in the office with a guitar I think I would want to jam with them. If they couldn't play I would have to borrow it on lunches vs. bringing mine in. lol

It is one thing if you are just carrying a guitar around to be a cool guy or something. But if you just like to play all the time more power to you, and the better you will become.....

Agreed. I'm no professional on guitar or anything, but when it comes down to it, what do you care what some butthole on the street thinks? What some other guy posted, yeah it may get annoying to hear requests, but maybe thats at least a compliment in some fashion. And if you don't know it you can always say "no, but I'll play you this instead."
I brought my guitar to school twice and used Guitar rig if that counts.
and once while I was in the pooper
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Quote by kcorkcar
I brought my guitar to school twice and used Guitar rig if that counts.
and once while I was in the pooper

So im not the only one............
Knowledge is power
Never really done that... always too busy at work, and at school I used the schools guitars..

Traveling however, I always bring my awesome almost beaten to death accoustic which I bought for 12e in Berlin while interrailing. It's the shit, and it even sounds OK even though the intonation is a little off.
You'll Never Walk Alone!
It certainly would help you improve, if you'd practice more often. When I'm on a trip and I have my guitar with me, I practice more than I ever do at home.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
I get that you're trying to get better, but don't be THAT guy who brings his guitar to work or school... I couldn't stand people that did that

People had band practice during homeroom at my high school and it was the douchiest thing I'd ever witnessed
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
also, have you ever held a guitar in front of a group of people? most are annoying twats and request 15 songs as if they're required knowledge of all guitarists.

"can you play x"
"no"
"oh... how about y"
"no"
"how about..."
"**** off, kindly"

So many nights sitting around a campfire trying to explain to drunks that I am not an Ipod and I will not play Jimmy fking Buffet.
Quote by foxtrot10
So many nights sitting around a campfire trying to explain to drunks that I am not an Ipod and I will not play Jimmy fking Buffet.

I learned the first four lines of Margaritaville (no great accomplishment) right up to the chorus just so I could play it and then stop and say "Nah, I don't want to play that."
Page 1 of 2