I can't think of any recent time where strings have been so mass marketed. Between UG's banner ads, YouTube bombarding me with "Slash-Petrucci-Steve Morse" can't be wrong...i just couldn't take it seriously. We got them in at GC and I played both a Mexi-Strat and USA SG with them. Must say, they did make a significant difference in loudness and clarity. I'm still sticking to my Gibson Vintage Reissue strings ; how about everyone else. Making the change? Tried 'em out?
I tried them. I like them. There were two areas that I noticed a big difference- clarity, hearing the pick attack more (which can be good or bad depending on the sound you're going for), etc. and getting harmonics. I must say I was very impressed when I was able to natural harmonics around the 2nd/1st fret area pretty easily. Pinch harmonics come a lot easier too, and ring more. All in all, I like them. Will I exclusively use them for the rest of my life? Maybe not, but they are good strings.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not
I'm still looking forward to trying em, but it is weird that they are so heavily marketed. It's gonna be weird paying more than $5 for strings though
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
I already get Elixirs and I'm going to make the change just to try them out for a month or two won't be paying much more though.
if the longevity is there, i dont mind the cost. i am throwing them on for my next string change, got a set sitting right next to me waiting.
Replacing old strings with new strings always sounds better anyway so I'm still sceptical whether these strings actually sound better than the ones I regularly use.

Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison using the same guitar (or 2 very similar guitars), same amp settings etc, one guitar with brand new cobalts and the other guitar with a brand new set of their regular strings?
Quote by WeZ-84
Replacing old strings with new strings always sounds better anyway so I'm still sceptical whether these strings actually sound better than the ones I regularly use.

Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison using the same guitar (or 2 very similar guitars), same amp settings etc, one guitar with brand new cobalts and the other guitar with a brand new set of their regular strings?

Yeah, I used 2 Mexi-Strats into a Fender Twin Reverb. Cobalts and Normal EB's in 9's. It was had a better tonal quality ; i feel it would cut "through" the mix better. So like others have said clarity and definition really.

I think part of me doesn't want to like them just because of all the mass-media hype haha.
The media blitz annoys me, too, but if you were EB and you had just made a new string formula that you thought was really special, what would you do? The Titaniums don't seem to sell very well, and the Cobalts are even more expensive. A $10 set of strings doesn't sell itself, and people generally tend to stick one brand or set of strings they like. You've really got to shout and wave your arms around to get people interested in strings.

I think EB has figured out the numbers game - if you make a decent product, and advertise enough to get people to try it, you don't need 90% of them to buy another set. You've just sold a crapload of $10 sets of strings, and if 10% of the people who tried them like them, you're going to sell those people 5-10 sets per year. Those are great numbers if half of those people are switching over from another brand.

So, it's too bad that they're probably more expensive in part because they had to pay Slash and Petrucci to say they liked them, but even for Ernie Ball it's probably just too hard to break into new markets by releasing another set of $5 strings with the advertisement "they sound good." We've had more threads about Cobalts in the last few weeks than we've ever had about any other type of string, so as obnoxious as the advertising is, it's definitely working. People are interested.
i put them on my ltd, they're ok i guess. i definitely didnt notice any extra clarity or output, so im probably just gonna go back to DR's cause they're 5 bucks cheaper and the same damn thing
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
That's the kind of review I was expecting from the Cobalts, unfortunately. It's not surprising that more magnet pull doesn't translate to better strings. You could adjust your pickups a tad closer to the strings and get largely the same effect.

Actually, a lot of people prefer a much weaker magnet pull like you get from pure nickel wound strings. There's a reason that stainless steel strings aren't very popular, even though they've got "more output" as EB puts it.

I bought a set of "high gain strings" a while ago, because the name was too stupid to pass up. The strings weren't for use with high gain - the strings themselves were supposed to be high gain. They did indeed have more output and clarity - but they also sounded dry and stiff and completely lifeless. Maybe the Cobalts are good, and I'll probably cave in and try a set because I'll be curious until I do, but more magnet pull seems like something that markets better than it performs.
Just buy them and try them. Seriously $10 USD isn't a huge investment. If you don't like them, its not like Ernie Ball is going to find you and give you cancer.
I went to my favorite dealer yesterday specifically to buy a set of cobalts. They don't carry them. Never even heard of them. Small town shops are lange like that. I bought a pair of power skinless instead and I feel like my reaction to those would be fairly similar to what my reaction to the cobalts would be like.

I'd still love to try a set though, if I ever come across some.
I haven't tried them but now I think I'm going to. I've been using EB 9s and 10s for the better part of a decade.

But people always hear what the want to hear. If you're expecting better clarity you'll be more willing to say there is an improvement even if there is none. I agree with Wez, I'd bet most people would have to have them on the same guitar side by side to really compare them.

As to the magnet pull thing. Pickups work because the magnetic field around them gets disrupted by the vibrating string. The only way that will happen is if the string is ferromagnetic. Iron, Cobalt, and Nickel are the most common metals that have this property. If there is alot of magnet pull that just means the string is interacting with the field more strongly, which means there is more output. So the idea that strings will have less magnet pull but still remain highout put is paradoxical. You can't have one without the other. In fact I'd rather have the most ferrous strings and just lower the pickups a tad. At least that way the playability is a little better.
Quote by X-plorer88
So the idea that strings will have less magnet pull but still remain highout put is paradoxical.

Where was this claimed? I don't remember EB or anyone else making a statement like this.
Of course no string manufacturer will make that claim. It just pickup operation theory.
I have them on my Strat and Jazz Bass.

I can't hear the difference between the DR Hi-beams that were on my strat but my bass had slightly clearer tone than the two week old Rotosound 66's I had previously used.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!