I've got an average Ibanez GAX70 and I don't have a crunch or wah wah pedal, but I'm trying to play songs that frequently switch between a more distorted sound and then to a clean sound for playing more graceful parts. So here's my main question:

How do I quickly control my guitar's distortion level without a pedal, and without having to constantly switch my amp from 'Clean' to 'Lead'.

Hi/Lo/Mid settings?
Which pickups are best? (3-way selector)
Tone and Volume settings on guitar?
etc.

Thanks!

Note: It's a Peavy amp, not sure of the model. Fairly standard though Pre/Post options as well as the traditional amp settings.
A footswitch for the amp. If it's a decent tube amp, and you're not using heaps of gain, you can use your guitars volume settings to go from overdriven to cleaner, but you'll lose some high end. Footswitch is still your best bet though.
The amp you have will help a lot. It may have a footswitch to toggle between channels.

Other than that, all you can really do (for a proper clean/dirt transition) is set your amp clean and get a distortion pedal.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
+1 Footswitch

Mine has a footswitch but I realized how much territory my amp covers now that I've learned to use the volume nob. There are some awesome tones on an OD channel that you can't quite get on the clean channel. Its one more tool you can use!

There are some cheap mods you can have done to prevent tone loss while rolling back the volume.
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!
Guitar volume knob.

So under-appreciated... It's a dying art.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Guitar volume knob.

So under-appreciated... It's a dying art.

This
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Volume knob on the guitar if you want your sound engineer to hate you. Ask any sound engineer what he thinks of a guitar player who's levels are all over the place during the show, as opposed to two or three set levels.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Screw him. What does he think he's paid to do if not adjust the sound?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
They like to do things like turn you completely off in the mains if you piss them off. Which spells doom for your hard-practiced solo if your stage volume is low.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
And that's when you punch him repeatedly in the face until he gets the idea that you are not a man to **** with.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The guitar has 2 volume and 2 tone knobs. But until I get a pedal, would you recommend turning up the post gain on the amp and keeping the volume knob for my guitar down around 4? Or just playing around with the volume knob on the guitar alone?

I usually play neck pickups with the tone almost all the way down on overdrive to try and get a "slash-y" sound w/out a pedal (which i'm trying to get soon).
You set the master volume to the maximum you will need with the guitar's volume up full. Then you work down from there with the guitar's volume knob.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification