Page 1 of 2
So I liked the keys before they hit the big time so to speak. It seems as though they are bashing other bands that are where they are actually heading, if that makes sense. El Camino seems very Hip Hop to me and lacks the grit and raw aspect that made me like them. Just wondering what you guys think of the keys these days?

Also lately I have been listening to a lot of A Perfect Circle / Tool. What are some other bands similar to these?
Bands I like: (Newer ones anyway I mean obviously I like Zeppelin and CCR)
Mastodon
Tool
The White Stripes
The Smashing Pumpkins
Alice in Chains
The Raconteurs
A Perfect Circle
All That Remains
The Dead Weather
Any Reccomendations?
I actually prefer their newer work.

*FLAMESHIELD*
Tell me who's that writin'...
Not at all, they are one of the few mainstream acts that produce anything worth listening to. People want to bash them now that they are famous, but they have a back catalog of 7 albums, Dan's solo record, a junior cover album Pat's Drummer side project, and Blackroc. This isnt some flash in the pan new group talking shit, they have the credit to back it up. It's your fault if you only started paying attention to them now. Plus, Dan has become a serious producer himself. Radio Moscow was his find. He just did Dr. John's new record. Check out this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3BP0YCkYxc and Patrick Sweany which I'm really getting into right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Jgn7_MEYY

Point is, go bash Rhianna, The Black Keys were and still are very legit.
I'm not sick of them. Just the opposite.
I've only really got into them recently, and think their mix of blues and the heavier stuff is great. It's a refreshing look back to the 60's in a way.

They also seem like cool people from what I've read.
I'm sick of them. Their schtick wears easily thin for me.
This isn't coincidence
there's no such
thing
Quote by FN77
Not at all, they are one of the few mainstream acts that produce anything worth listening to. People want to bash them now that they are famous, but they have a back catalog of 7 albums, Dan's solo record, a junior cover album Pat's Drummer side project, and Blackroc. This isnt some flash in the pan new group talking shit, they have the credit to back it up. It's your fault if you only started paying attention to them now. Plus, Dan has become a serious producer himself. Radio Moscow was his find. He just did Dr. John's new record. Check out this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3BP0YCkYxc and Patrick Sweany which I'm really getting into right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Jgn7_MEYY

Point is, go bash Rhianna, The Black Keys were and still are very legit.

Actually if you read my post you would see that I have been listening to them for a long time. Their older albums were awesome and as soon as Brothers was released I could tell they were changing......unfortunately for the worse. I think Dan is a really cool guy but why is he making songs like Lonely Boy < pop 100%
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
...as soon as Brothers was released I could tell they were changing. I think Dan is a really cool guy but why is he making songs like Lonely Boy < pop 100%

Lonely Boy -- "pop"? I was thinking modern classic rock blues and possibly a hint of alternative, but certainly not pop. Do you claim to be a hipster? Is it because they went "mainstream", and you hate mainstream artists? Wait... You listen to mainstream music, so that can't be true. I don't understand.
Because to me The Black Keys are two guys who are supposed to just go out and rock without all the mixing/ overdubbing and bs. Listen to I Got Mine, Thickfreakness, or Have Love Will Travel. Then listen to Howlin' for You or Hell of a Season and tell me they haven't gone away from their roots and towards pop. Tighten up is extremely pop as well.
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
Because to me The Black Keys are two guys who are supposed to just go out and rock without all the mixing/ overdubbing and bs. Listen to I Got Mine, Thickfreakness, or Have Love Will Travel. Then listen to Howlin' for You or Hell of a Season and tell me they haven't gone away from their roots and towards pop. Tighten up is extremely pop as well.

Catchy + groovy does not have to mean pop. They're great songs, and they've got a shit load of new fans for writing catchy stuff, what's the hitch? Plenty of old school songs on El Camino and Brothers.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
All I am saying is there is a big difference. I still like them but prefer their earlier work. At least people are listening to them instead of some stuff.
Quote by Stugg334
Catchy + groovy does not have to mean pop. They're great songs, and they've got a shit load of new fans for writing catchy stuff, what's the hitch? Plenty of old school songs on El Camino and Brothers.

Exactly.

Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
At least people are listening to them instead of some stuff.
Because to me The Black Keys are two guys who are supposed to just go out and rock without all the mixing/ overdubbing and bs.

I will agree with you, to an extent. Some of their music sounds slightly different now, but that varies from track to track. And yeah, at least they are listening to The Black Keys instead of Rebecca Black or Justin Beiber...

Ummm...Mixing/overdubbing is called music production. Every artist does that. AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, CCR, GNR, Pantera, ZZ Top. You name it, they have mixed. Zeppelin and Metallica, both have used dubs in their guitar solos. Who cares? Not me. If they didn't, they: Would still be playing small gigs, wouldn't be played on the radio, wouldn't have CDs, etc. Etc. Etc. Etc..

Are you saying they "sold out"?
Last edited by blakeg14 at Mar 29, 2012,
I don't really care who they bash or what their views are, I like the music.
Both albums are pretty great, imo.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
when I die of a brain aneurysm I want it on record that its the film threads fault

Quote by GuitarGod_92
Movies are all bad every last one of them

Quote by yope
Fungus has a right to exist. It's a valid life form.
Their first albums were like true garage rock. Dan has said that when they made the first albums they would just jam and make an entire album in like week tops. I liked the raw sound of Thickfreakness. They were soooo good on that album it sounded like classic blues muddy waters buddy guyish sounds. I just feel like they are soaking up the spotlight a lot and like I hear their songs on the freakin' NBA. Its just weird.
I didn't like the new album very much, but Brothers and and Attack and Release are incredible by all definitions... Mind Eraser is pretty good, but that's the only one I've been returning to really... I don't care what they have to say about any other bands/people honestly... opinions kind of happen, don't they? Accept that if people are giving you money and sticking microphone's in front of you, asking what you think of so and so, you're more than entitled to give an honest answer.
Quote by blakeg14

Are you saying they "sold out"?

I hope not but I am starting to wonder. Can you guys say you really like Brothers?
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
I hope not but I am starting to wonder. Can you guys say you really like Brothers?

They've gained a Lot of fans/followers/groupies after their latest album. I know people that aren't really into "modern rock" that have picked up "Brothers" And "El Camino". They're a good band, they have good albums. If you don't like their latest material, that's just you. You are the 1%.
I love The Black Keys but please no more Danger Mouse records. I want 6 damn strings and a drumset damnit. And a fuzz pedal. J/k

I love Brothers, and nearly everything before it. But El Camino just doesn't stay in the CD player very long.
Slightly irrelevant to whether they've got worse, but the fact they have become more 'mainstream' is great for me because I am ashamed to say I had never heard of them until el camino. So were it not for el camino I would never have discovered their earlier work
I don't really mind the new stuff they bring out, but they should shock the mainstream and release something along the lines of The Big Come Up. That would be interesting to see cause I'm a fan of their earlier albums more than the newer ones. Though the new ones have really nice, groovy tracks, the older one just had a special charm to it.
Yeah it would be cool if they just came out with a huge blues album. Let Dan do some solos and get a vibe going. Hope pop stations like it. Could be the overthrow of the conformed music industry. Probably won't happen.
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
Yeah it would be cool if they just came out with a huge blues album. Let Dan do some solos and get a vibe going. Hope pop stations like it. Could be the overthrow of the conformed music industry. Probably won't happen.

Although Brothers and El Camino aren't my favorite albums from them, I can respect what they are doing. It gets boring to them to play the same type of music night after night, and making new/different songs helps with that. Hopefully they will go back to some more gritty, in your face blues rock like magic potion.

Dan has said in interviews that he doesn't like to put a lot of solos in songs, just not his thing I guess.
Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit?

Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
Also lately I have been listening to a lot of A Perfect Circle / Tool. What are some other bands similar to these?
Mastodon
Tool
The White Stripes
The Smashing Pumpkins
Alice in Chains
The Raconteurs
A Perfect Circle
All That Remains
The Dead Weather
Any Reccomendations?

Kyuss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcY3UF6_IaM
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
They remind me of ZZ Top's early stuff. Honestly, if ZZ Top did it, Black Keys copied it.
Check out ZZ Top's First Album for reference
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
I never consumed their overated hipster garbage because I knew it would make me sick.
So i'm healthy.
I enjoy their more recent stuff, so long as it isn't overplayed, like Lonely Boy is.

I prefer The Black Keys over pretty much any other famous rock band out there at the moment. Rock music that falls into the category of "post grunge" I find usually utterly mediocre.
Deadly badgers made my weed
I like the Black Keys because it sounds like The White Stripes with more balls. I've never really seen them as "some hipster band".
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721

Mastodon
Tool
The White Stripes
The Smashing Pumpkins
Alice in Chains
The Raconteurs
A Perfect Circle
All That Remains
The Dead Weather
Any Reccomendations?

Erm, where is Black Stone Cherry?
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
Beware of Opinions: The Black Keys are a bland and boring sounding band that garners too much radio airplay over bands that are better. The lead singer is a douche as well.
I love their newer stuff just as much as I love their older stuff. Sure its not as gritty and in your face, but dat groove. Its hard to even sit still and not wanna dance during some of their songs now.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by diofan88
They remind me of ZZ Top's early stuff. Honestly, if ZZ Top did it, Black Keys copied it.
Check out ZZ Top's First Album for reference

I agree with this to some extent, although I think the influence that they say they have from hip hop is becoming more and more prevalent. I actually enjoy that fact too.

As a musician I prefer their earlier work, and as a person who just loves music I love the later albums because I believe the songwriting is better. I find this sort of thing is very common for bands. Early on they try and come out hard and fast and as time goes on change to be more accessible as they find a sound that works. Mastodon sorta did the same thing. Although that statement may cause the need for me to raise the flameshield...
El Camino seems very Hip Hop
wut

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Page 1 of 2