Probably a vintage Universal Audio or Neve compressor (if you can find one), or something like that. You're looking at some serious gear for that money. Maybe check out Avalon's preamps if you're looking for something a little more modern.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Mar 27, 2012,
If you can find a UAD LA-2A, I'd be jealous. Probably one of my favorite compressors
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
yeah, look for anything by Universal Audio, Avalon, Drawmer.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
My vote goes to the Empirical Labs EL-8 Distressor... does a lot of the stuff people love the 1176 for, then loads more, and then has saturation/distortion modelled on analogue tape machines thrown in for good measure Oh, and it has the 'nuke' ratio for limiting, which is essentially the same as when people pushed in all four ratio buttons of an 1176 for crazy results and non-linear compression lol.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
My vote goes to the Empirical Labs EL-8 Distressor... does a lot of the stuff people love the 1176 for, then loads more, and then has saturation/distortion modelled on analogue tape machines thrown in for good measure Oh, and it has the 'nuke' ratio for limiting, which is essentially the same as when people pushed in all four ratio buttons of an 1176 for crazy results and non-linear compression lol.

+1 love on the distressor