I have a 2007 Mexican deluxe lonestar fender strat, its in white and came with a tortoise shell pickguard which i've since swapped for black, i've been thinking for a while about wanting this guitar to be red then came across this

http://www.wudtone.com/shop/?wpsc-product=finishing-kit-carmine-gypsy

this tempted me even more as i've heard taking the thick paint off of a guitar and just treating the wood can really make the sound better

the problem is im of 2 minds, this strat was the first expensive guitar i ever brought and im not sure even though its a fender if the wood under the paint is good

so do you think its a good plan to strip it down and stain it red? and have you had any experience stripping the paint from a guitar to get a better tone, does it work or is it a myth?

any advice or opinions would be great

cheers
I'd say if you know what your doing and you have the patience to do it then go for it! My friend gave me a '04 Fender P-Bass that I scraped all the paint off of, it looks really good, nothing beats a nice wood finish.
There's a few things to consider. A. that picture is of an ash guitar, without grain filler. Is your guitar ash? B. if you do sand it, you have to get every single little tiny bit of sanding sealer off (the clear primer they use at the factory) and even then, the grain will still probably be filled. C. It's going to be a shitload of sanding. And lastly, I doubt it'd change the tone. I'm with explorerbuilder on this one.
Well it's not a myth. I had a shitty alder guitar and it didn't have any resonance at all. It was some knockoff brand with a ridiculously thick coating. After I stripped it down to bare wood and knocked on it, it sounded much better. Just tappin it will give you an idea of it's tonal character. Most people who argue is doesn't make any difference also think tonewoods don't make any difference, so take their advice with a grain of salt.

However, Fender (even the MIM models) already does a nice job of keeping the finish as thin as possible. So in short you probably won't notice any difference.

It does take alot of sanding to get through all the coats. Even when you get to the bare wood you must be sure none of the sealers or base coats are still deep in the grain otherwise the stain wont take evenly. What kind of wood is your guitar? It probably doesn't have much figure, especially if it's alder or basswood. The factory will paint low figure bodies and clear the better looking bodies. What kind of final finish do you want, gloss or satin?

Whether or not it'll come out good is entirely up to you. It can be a very time consuming process if you do it right. There is more to it than you'd think. Every refinish I've done hasn't come out perfect, but nor did I expect them to.
Don't do it unless you are very very very serious about getting it done and getting it done properly. I've sanded and re-painted 3 guitars, and every single one of them has turned out bad because I didn't put in the time to do things like sanding back and doing multiple coats, and I didn't put in the effort to get the right materials or do it properly.
Hi there, I've refinished two alder guitars, one was covered in polyurethane ( which I think is the same as a lonestar). Getting this off was fairly easy with a heat gun. Start on the back edge around the strap hole, find out if it is one or two piece ( or more) don't apply any more heat than u need just to soften and peel the finish off, keep away from the glued body joins as you don't want to weaken those. I was gobsmacked how much difference it made, guitar felt like a resonant clave instead of plastic lump. Think of it as not having to wear half a dozen condoms, it just feels better. Hope it goes well if you go for it.!
I just stripped a Fender USA body a few weeks back. It's made up of 3 or 4 shite bits of wood, don't bother man!
Quote by MD 316
Ok guys cheers, will give it a miss then XD

I noticed those finishes you spotted are a two pack system with base oil/dye coat to treat the barewood, and top coat which has lacquers, plus there is extra gloss option shown below. These appear a quite new,there is limited info, but some quite complimentary feedback on ebay.

Don't give up on getting the guitar you want. Buy an unfinished body, use all the good stuff from your lonestar and get yourself a more resonant guitar your happy with. Worse that can happen is you still have all original bits to re assemble/ re-sell your lonestar, plus you'll have a nice body / finish to create the Strat you really want. Add nice flamed , neck etc.