Page 1 of 2
epiphone
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Im not as experienced in Guitars but the Hagstroms look and sound very nice imo.
Epiphone considering theyre a sub-company of Gibson now. I have a Epi LP Standard and its been my only guitar for the last 8 years up until last November when i bought an explorer.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by Grawgos
Hagstrom swede

QFT
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
ltd xtone or eclipse series. the ltd sounded brighter compared to the pauls I have owned and played
More gear laying around then I know what to do with, and still buying crap.
Epiphones are NOT nockoffs for god's sake. they are made under the authority of gibson. also i love my standerd les paul and i have played many gibsons before. they just need a pickup swap
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Well Agile's are the best I've tried, and for the price they're ridiculously good guitars. I own one myself.

But other than that, I've heard a lot of good stuff about Edwards and Dillion. Both make some pretty sexy Les Paul copies.
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
ugh epiphone. bought a explorer from them once. 2 actually. garbage
why'd you buy 2 if they were garbage? You could've bought 1 gibson explorer for the price of 2 epiphone explorers.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
The best LP copy Ive ever played was an 80's Pearl LP

Ive played gibson LP customs and all that and own a PRS too for reference. The Pearls pop up around 500$ and are very nice guitars.

The first one i played had half the headstock chipped off, broken pup rings, scratchy pots broken toggle switch snd was almost beaten beyond repair but played really great
Quote by travs2448
Epiphones are NOT nockoffs for god's sake. they are made under the authority of gibson. also i love my standerd les paul and i have played many gibsons before. they just need a pickup swap

Well I guess that depends on your definition of knock-off. Are they made by the same tradesmen in the same factory using the same materials? If not then one could be justified in calling it a knock-off don't you think? An authorised knock-off maybe but a knock-off nonetheless.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I picked up a Guild Bluesbird. Plays real well, but it's more of a chambered guitar.

Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
The esp/ltd eclipses are pretty nice. Especially If you're into metal. If not, maybe look at agile. Most of the guys on here seem really into them.
Last edited by robertsanidiot at Mar 28, 2012,
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
ugh epiphone. bought a explorer from them once. 2 actually. garbage

You must be retarded to hate something and continue to purchase one anyways.
Don't think they're widely available outside the UK, but I've got a couple by Gould that are pretty good - definitely as good as (possibly better than) anything Epiphone make, even though they're half the price.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Oldmonkeys
Tokai, Greco, & Orville LP's are all very nice for less than the ridiculous price gibson is asking these days

Gibson owns Orville haha.
Quote by Cathbard
Well I guess that depends on your definition of knock-off. Are they made by the same tradesmen in the same factory using the same materials? If not then one could be justified in calling it a knock-off don't you think? An authorised knock-off maybe but a knock-off nonetheless.

I wouldn't count something that is a licensed and practically made by the same company a knock off. to me Agile and Dillion etc... are knock off's Epiphones are licensed authentic les pauls made under Gibson's name so how can it be knock off? it doesnt make sense to call it a knock off.

To add something to the thread i tried an esp ec-1000 thru a triple rec last week and holy balls the tone was some of the best I've ever heard! and the Esp played like butter in my hands. easily one of the most comfortable guitars I've held. had the satin black one and i loved how the satin finish felt on the neck
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Quote by Cathbard

nope they're not. a knock off is an un authorized copy that is often inferior to the original. now granted epi's could be considered inferior (depending on model) but they are authorized. they do use the same basic materials etc. sematics for sure but they can legitimately be called Les Pauls no other makers can.

OP check out PRS Single Cut or a Hamer XT series (forget the model).
A knockoff just means an imitation, you are applying the term "unauthorised" as your own personal definition.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
A knockoff just means an imitation, you are applying the term "unauthorised" as your own personal definition.

actually it's the legal definition. i guess you could say that i'm using that as my definition so you're not wrong per se. Gibson says that an Epi LP is a "real" LP and since they are the ones that have the right to define what is or isn't i'll go with them. i concede that many LP users don't agree and are probably right though.
Quote by Cathbard

Wrong - "unauthorised" is in the official definition.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/knockoff

Get your point though - for a thread asking for good LPs that aren't Gibson for someone who doesn't have that sort of money to spend, Epiphone is a potential answer.

Going by the dictionary definition though, they definitely aren't knockoffs.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Cathbard
Well let's see what a real English dictionary says - The Oxford

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/knock-off?q=knockoff

Im sorry cathbard but i gotta say your wrong on this one! i get your logic but i just dont agree lol. i still respect ya though Same thing with squire/fender they are made under the authority and supervision of the bigger companies so they really aren't knock off's
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Lol 'your wrong' in that context

Just don't use 'knockoff'.
Say LP model.

They're all fine guitars, some better than other (subjective),
but all the same concept,
so I think it's fair to call it a Les Paul.

I'll whack you in the face with my Agile or my modded Epi.
You won't tell me it doesn't hurt like a real LP.
You'll feel it because is real.
The wood is real and the shape is real. The feelings too

It's just not a real Gibson les paul. (which I wouldn't want to ruin by whacking people with it)

Stop labelling shit instead of real life proof. Really. A guitar is a guitar. Period.
Quote by Cathbard
Well let's see what a real English dictionary says - The Oxford

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/knock-off?q=knockoff

Fair cop - I just used the first one in the list when I searched, presumed all the dictionary sites would have the same definition
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Burnys are supposed to be alright - http://www.richardsguitars.co.uk/acatalog/burny_guitars.html

and Cort are now doing a Les Paul type - http://www.richardsguitars.co.uk/acatalog/CR250.html
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Last edited by Mybleedinglung8 at Mar 28, 2012,
i bought one, it sucked and then returned it. for some reason they then continued to send a white one. had to return that as well
Quote by mespinos

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/knockoff

M-W has your back too..

IMO epis are knockoffs just as much as every other non Gibson Les Paul.

forget the dictionary for a minute. epi is owned by gibson it's a subsidery company. gibson has designated them to make official LP guitars therefore they aren't a copy in the strictest sense. i'm sure we could all go round in circles on this all day due to semantics. an actual knockoff would be a copy guitar that said gibson on it even though it wasn't made by gibson.
i really like ESP Eclipses, if your into metal a 401 or 1000, if not the 400vf, great playing and sounding guitars
Kona Custom(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H300(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H400 (Duncan Loaded) STOCK YESSSS
LTD M202 BB(Duncan Loaded)
80s American Tele(STOCK)
Gibson Faded V
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mesa Triple Rectifier (EL-34s)
and many more.....
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
i bought one, it sucked and then returned it. for some reason they then continued to send a white one. had to return that as well
You bought one of what? An Epiphone? I have both an Epiphone Dot and a G400 SG. Both are nice guitars. My LP is a Samick, but if I was looking I would check out the Epiphones.
Quote by Grawgos
Hagstrom swede

^^ This. Fantastic guitar.

Look for old Ibanez Lawsuits as well. Wasn't there a company called Burnie that made a ton of Gibson knockoffs?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Knock-off?
I think what he means is just a cheaper version of a Gibson with similar quality (sound quality - the guys at the music store stopped stocking Gibson because of badly built guitars they recieved).

The only LP shaped guitars I've tried are a Peavey (maybe sc-1) and an Ibanez ART or ARZ series - the peavey one was great.

If you want something really cheap, there were some black/gold LPs on the front page of eBay a week ago.

Edit: Damn it... now I want an SC-3
Last edited by DeadF18 at Mar 30, 2012,
Page 1 of 2