I'm jamming a couple song ideas on guitar and I came across a fairly common chord progression. Gmaj, Dmaj, Amaj, with Amaj being the root chord, if you will.

The corresponding major scale that I'm playing goes as such:


Is there a name for this scale? or is the G just considered an accidental in the major scale?
All of the notes are diatonic in D Major, your chord progression would be IV I V

I'd be surprised that the tomic was any other note but D. This is a common progression, and it has a very strong pull to D.
Last edited by d1sturbed4eva at Mar 28, 2012,
Hmmmmm, looks like you guys are right. Silly me. I was basing most of my improv around Amaj and Amin Pentatonic with a rock vibe to it. Thanks for answering my silly question!