So I came into possession of a Jackson RX10D Rhoads guitar. I bought it from an old guitarist who was a super druggie, and needed money. I got the thing at a steal of $100. The thing was pretty much pristine, too, except the end of the V had a chip out of it, and he had scratched the body, and for some reason K.O. in the top. So I decided I want to repaint it.

I have the neck off, all the electrical stuff pulled out, my main question (in bold for tl;dr people) is What is the best way to repaint it? I've read a few things about chemical stripping, sanding, heat gun, or simply paint over top.

What's the best advice based off personal experience?

Thanks guys!
Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I
Don't paint over the top of it... The paint will just chip off.

I would say sand it (I used an electric sander for the front and back on mine, and hand sanded the sides), but if its the original paint, a heat gun would work too. If its been painted already, the heat gun might melt the paint and make a gooey mess.
Chemical stripper works pretty well. I wouldn't use a heat gun. I let the chemical sit there for 30 minutes then use some kind of scraper or chisel to "peel" the paint off.

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii450/Xplorer822/IMG_1135.jpg

You'll want to sand until you see the paint come off, obviously, but don't go all the way down to the bare wood. Under the primer there is usually a urethane base coat or sanding sealer. It's there to fill the grain and make a perfectly smooth surface onto which to begin painting. You can see in this pic there are some places when I'm down to the wood and other where the base coat is still there.

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii450/Xplorer822/IMG_1146.jpg

My cat was very impressed. In that case I was going all the way down to the wood because I was going to glue a veneer to it.

As far as paint goes... just keep the paint and clear types the same. If you use polyurethane paint, use polyurethane clear. Nitrocellulose paint... nitrocellulose clear... ect.
Awesome, thank you. And what would you say is the best paint to use on a guitar?
Days go on forever
But I have not left your side
We can chase the dark together
If you go then so will I