Hey,

I have either a happy or a bad day. My shitty POS amp just died on me. Now i feel pissed because I have no amp to play with. But also a bit happy because I have a perfect reason to get something new. Therefore I like to ask some questions:

First of all, would you advice to buy a cheaper amp now or to wait and play without an amp for a couple of months (I'm not gigging for at least the next year of two). I kinda think my ear training will suck when I don't have an amp.

and if you suggest to buy a cheaper amp now, what do you recommend?

some info:
Budget: €250-300
Genres: Mostly rock and metal. Bands I would like to be able to play with this amp are: Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, Bullet for My Valentine, Guns 'n Roses, Megadeth. would be nice if the cleans for blues and such didn't suck that bad.
New or Used: Either, would go used in a heartbeat but the used market is pretty crappy around here.
Home or Gig: Home use only.
Closest city: I live in the Netherlands, almost everything is close .
Current Gear:
See sig, ignore the amp budget thing for now.
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Ibanez Deluxe 59'er model
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive pedal
hold off, if you had an acoustic that would work for a while. but dont waste your money on an amp that you don't need. Hold off and get the one you want. If you had an iPhone or other like product I am sure that there is a program out there to use with iRig until you get the amp that you want, that is if you are that desperate to hear yourself. Best of luck.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Alternatively, buy a cheap practice amp off Thomann.de and save up for a gigging amp as well. There are 20 amps on there that cost under 50 Euros.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
Laney IRT Studio + 112 cab
Buy a cheap, used amp, save up for a good one. Or maybe a multifx and headphones while saving up. Whats wrong with your amp?
You can buy one of those low watt Tube Harley Benton amps, They are pretty nice and are good for home use and cheap as hell used and new.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Thnx for the replies. With the option of buying a cheaper amp now, I meant that I will keep saving up for a better amp but use that for practicing for the time being.

@Lucky1978: I plugged my guitar in and when I played some notes the amp did not make any sound and then I quickly noticed the smell of melting wiring :P.

Maybe I should check out a cheap modeler? Peavey Vypyr 15/30, Fender Mustang or such? maybe it helps with choosing the next amp. What do you think?
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Last edited by Tunder250 at Mar 28, 2012,
Quote by Patrick89
Maybe I should check out a cheap modeler? Peavey Vypyr 15/30, Fender Mustang or such? maybe it helps with choosing the next amp. What do you think?

You should go to a guitar shop and try out different amps. The two modelling amps you mentioned are okay for bedroom use but you wouldn't be able to gig with them. I personally like the Vox VT+ series for modelling but it doesn't really cover the genre of music you stated in your original post.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Last edited by G-Dog_666 at Mar 28, 2012,
Quote by Patrick89

i think you should. the vypyr and mustang are both nice amps for the price. they are versatile so you should be able to figure out what tone you want out of an amp down the road a bit.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Tunder250

That is indeed over my budget.
The vypyr 30 is €169 over at thomann.
http://www.thomann.de/nl/peavey_vypyr_30.htm
I already looked at marktplaats but there isn't that much stuff in my budget that would be worth getting (as far as I could find)

Quote by G-DOG_666
You should go to a guitar shop and try out different amps. The two modelling amps you mentioned are okay for bedroom use but you wouldn't be able to gig with them. I personally like the Vox VT+ series for modelling but it doesn't really cover the genre of music you stated in your original post.

I'm not planning to gig with it. way too beginner for that
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Patrick89

I'm not planning to gig with it. way too beginner for that

I'd still look at a Vox VT20+ as well as the Vypyr and Mustang. I think the Valvetronix modelling is pretty good and 30 watts is still practice/bedroom volume. It'll just have some extra volume to annoy the neighbours if you need it.

EDIT: Here's a link: http://www.thomann.de/nl/vox_vt20.htm
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Last edited by G-Dog_666 at Mar 28, 2012,
You don't really need an amp for ear training. Just your ears and a guitar that is audible when strummed (they all are really).

That is the case for musical hearing(notes and shit like that).
If you want to train your ears in tone or effects,
then get an amp, but don't go buying cheap junk 'cause you'll train your ears to like
the sound of raped cat and bees in cans.

My advice: play around on your electric acousticly, it will give you more feel with your instrument, how it responds etc.
Save for a good amp or even better and then have yourself an eargasm

Boe Hollanders! Belgeeeeuuuuuh!
Quote by Dunkelheit-164
You don't really need an amp for ear training. Just your ears and a guitar that is audible when strummed (they all are really).

That is the case for musical hearing(notes and shit like that).
If you want to train your ears in tone or effects,
then get an amp, but don't go buying cheap junk 'cause you'll train your ears to like
the sound of raped cat and bees in cans.

My advice: play around on your electric acousticly, it will give you more feel with your instrument, how it responds etc.
Save for a good amp or even better and then have yourself an eargasm

Boe Hollanders! Belgeeeeuuuuuh!

listen to him, exept the last line, lol

You will be happy getting a 200€ amp.. but after a few weeks/months your ears will hate that sound... i love the vypyr when i hear clips, but i hate them with exact the same settings irl ( only tested one cuz they're not really here ;p )
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
The Roland cube 40xl might just scrape through as a short term amp? The recto channel get fairly gainy for a SS amp. then save for a proper tube amp for when you start gigging.
My teacher is able to get amps at a lower price than the stores usually sell them for because he can buy them at the wholesale company. I asked him to check for how much I could get a Vypyr 30. I will also ask about the Mustand II and the Roland Cube 40XL.
I heard that the VT20+ has the better moddeling but won't be suited for the music I like to play. Is this correct?

Quote by Seanthesheep
Save for a line 6 POD HD500 its like perfect for your situation right now and can be useful if you start playing in a band, some way or another

Now I do think a POD is a nice addition to any guitarists gear but I would still prefer an amp over it for now. Just a quick noob question about it, Why would it be useful when I start playing in a band? Can it be played through a PA ??

Quote by thorat
thanks

uhm... you're welcome ??
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Peavey Vypyr 30
Yea the POD can go right into the PA system if you play out

But lets say you buy like an axe fx or an 11r down the road, the HD500 can be a midi controller for it

If you buy a nice tube amp or a nice amp in general down the road this can handle you effects

Theres options with it. Plus it has an Aux input so you can still play along with songs

But its totally cool if youd rather have an actual amp
Thanks, didn't knew that!

Also, does anyone has an answer on if the VOX VT20+ has more "realistic" modeling than for example a Vypyr? But will the VT20+ be suited for my music? would I be able to reach Ozzy, Metallica and Megadeth with it and such? I think it will do well on Guns 'N Roses and such. I realize that a cheap modeler would never be able to mimic their tone but just if it would sound decent to good.
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Peavey Vypyr 30