Well I just applied to a job and in the conformation e-mail I got, it provided a link that shows you how many people applied to the same job. It was over 700!! And they're only hiring one person for it too.

Anyway considering that, I doubt the hiring manager or HR goes through every single application, so I'm wondering...Do they only look at the most recent applications, like the ones submitted around the time of the deadline, or do they look at the first ones?... Or all of them??
Go in and talk to somebody in person. This will probably improve your chances. It shows that you're really interested, and more importantly, that you're actually a real person. At least that's what my professor told me, but he's weird. I don't think it could hurt your chances, since they're probably pretty slim anyway.

As far as actually answering your question, it depends. Sometimes it's the first, sometimes they look at the last, and sometimes they just throw the whole pile down a flight of steps and look at the ones that go the farthest.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Go in and talk to somebody in person. This will probably improve your chances. It shows that you're really interested, and more importantly, that you're actually a real person. At least that's what my professor told me, but he's weird. I don't think it could hurt your chances, since they're probably pretty slim anyway.

As far as actually answering your question, it depends. Sometimes it's the first, sometimes they look at the last, and sometimes they just throw the whole pile down a flight of steps and look at the ones that go the farthest.

I tried submitting my application in person to a few places, but they told me they only accept e-mail applications :p

I'm gonna ask my HR professor tomorrow and see what he thinks.
Quote by Steel8909
I tried submitting my application in person to a few places, but they told me they only accept e-mail applications :p

Ya depends what jobs you're going after.

I'm talking student/kid job versus actual serious stepping stone or career job.

HMV versus like I don't know, the IRS or like an insurance company.

Obviously HMV just wants your resume by e-mail. The insurance company probably too, but they're waiting for that one guy who's gonna call and show up and ask questions.
OP is an idiot, he's submitting to the Capitalist government. I'd rather be unemployed instead of helping the scumbag rich people make even more money while keeping the poor people poor.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Steel8909

Submit application ASAP! call whoever will be hiring you the next day, thank them for accepting your application, let them know you look forward to meeting him/her and ask when they would be available

You now have a job interview!!
"When that day comes I shall Futterwacken ... vigorously."
~ The Mad Hatter

Quote by Steel8909

I went into a small web development place and they said they only accepted applications by email. I got my phone out an e-mailed my cv to the guy. He told me to sit down and have an interview :p
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by metalblaster
Ya depends what jobs you're going after.

I'm talking student/kid job versus actual serious stepping stone or career job.

HMV versus like I don't know, the IRS or like an insurance company.

Obviously HMV just wants your resume by e-mail. The insurance company probably too, but they're waiting for that one guy who's gonna call and show up and ask questions.

I'm applying to a bit of both actually, since I'm graduating university this year, I'm applying to big places like banks and insurance companies, but also applying to summer student jobs (some of them take recent grads)
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
OP is an idiot, he's submitting to the Capitalist government. I'd rather be unemployed instead of helping the scumbag rich people make even more money while keeping the poor people poor.

As much as I hate all the rich capitalist, I wouldn't want to live in my mom's basement the rest of my life lol
Quote by nbur4556
Submit application ASAP! call whoever will be hiring you the next day, thank them for accepting your application, let them know you look forward to meeting him/her and ask when they would be available

You now have a job interview!!

Exactly. The only way you'll get a job with this many other applicants (many of whom are probably MUCH more qualified than you, too -- it's just a function of the sample size) is to make sure that the hiring manager knows who you are and can see something beyond just a name on a resume.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Yeah like others have said, give a call to whoever you can there. But it is their job to go though every application, though obviously it won't be with a whole lot of scrupulousness.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by Steel8909

You don't have to actually submit your resume in person, you can do that online. You just have to talk to somebody. Go in and say "Hey, I submitted an application, and I'd like to follow up on that. Is there anyone I can talk to about that?" or something along those lines.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Steel8909
As much as I hate all the rich capitalist, I wouldn't want to live in my mom's basement the rest of my life lol

but Mom makes the best sandwiches
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

Troo dat.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

Since Jewchords is gone, I'm going to say what he would say:

Quote by Fm7b9BbM7sus4add13D6/C#
Mom also gives the best sex.

And then I would say something like:

Why am I not surprised that you would say something like that...
Quote by Highelf04
Apply now or as soon as feasibly possible!
Don't waste time asking on UG

He said that he already applied in the OP.
Quote by theogonia777
He said that he already applied in the OP.

Yea I've been applying to a couple jobs almost everyday.
ok, I interview everyone for our firm and the first thing is your Resume/CV...
I don't really give a **** if you do volunteer work, look after Granny Adams down the road or even give shit what your hobbies are or even that you are the Captain/ leader of this or that.
All that bullshit tells me is that you are not going to work overtime if we need you to because you have a game/ meeting Saturday morning when we are in deepshit. So don't put any crap like that on there!Don't give me crap that you can do overtime and then sya you can't everytime I ask!
All I am interested in is what you are capable of and any experience you have in the job advertised.
I will not entertain single mothers with kids. All they want to do is get off early to pick up kids, stay off cos little shitpants is off school, it's the school holidays and there is no one to look after them etc etc... I don't give a **** about your kids, do you give a **** about mine??? I thought not!
Anyone who calls me a mysoginist bastard.. I don't care! I get pissed off for everyone else who has to carry the twats who are always off , being sick, skiving etc etc.
I look after my guys, all I ask is you do your bit!

I also look at your previous job record.. You won't even get a second glance if I see a list of previous employers with 3 mths here, 2 months there etc etc as long a 2 sheets of A4.
You WILL get an interview if I see 2 jobs on the bounce over a year or two.
I WILL call your past employers to discuss your sick days and lateness record. Take two Mondays off on the bounce, just come in Tuesday to pick up what we owe you.
I will ALWAYS put you on 6 months trial.
Talk to me when you walk in, sit there like a melon and not speak to me means I will throw your name in the bin the second you walk out of my door. Tell me what you can do, even give me bullshit, make me like you!
I don't care if you wear a suit or jeans, have long hair, have tattoos etc etc... just don't dress like a ****witt who hangs around street corners.
That is the basic things I look at first but the biggest one is... sell yourself to me.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

Zoot? No...

Kumanji?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.