Page 1 of 2
i searchbar-ed it and there were several already made, but...

so i've got jury duty coming up in about 2 weeks. it's for a petit jury and i've sort of resigned myself to going since i have nothing else to do.

if i wanted to actually not be chosen/kicked out, what should i do? any upsides to jury duty? do i get free lunch or something?
I've heard claiming racism or bias gets you out, but I wouldn't know if it works or not.

I'm pretty sure the reward is fulfilling your duty as a citizen, and taking part of the legal process.
If you get to the Voire Dior phase, where the attorneys get to make preemptory exclusions, don't say anything outrageous. Avoid statements like..."Death penalty? Oh yeah, fry 'em!"
Usually they will ask you (on less serious cases) if you have heard about the case in the news, if you have any strong opinions about the subject, if you've been the victim of such a crime....

The attorneys are generally looking for someone intelligent enough to understand the proceedings and likely to stay awake.....
I've never understood why people think the idea of a publicly formed jury is intelligent, but then this is a system that values eyewitness account, so I guess stupidity is to be expected.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
They pay like five bucks for gas and another five for lunch. Last time I heard anyways.
You'll be let out if you have a bias. For example: The murder of a fourteen year old girl, and you are a mother of a fourteen year old girl.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Watch the movie Jury Duty. That's everything you will ever need to know about he subject.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Todd Hart
I've never understood why people think the idea of a publicly formed jury is intelligent.

+1
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Are you in the US? Is it criminal court? Then just find a reason to tell the judge that if the defendant doesn't testify you'll think he's guilty. Sometimes the judge will ask everyone how they feel about the Fifth Amendment and sometimes you have to bring it up yourself if they get around to questioning potential jurors. But it works every time and you can't get cited for contempt.
What you need are some pairs of big glasses with eyes painted on, so you can go to sleep.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Tell them you're a Detroit lions fan.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by slapsymcdougal
What you need are some pairs of big glasses with eyes painted on, so you can go to sleep.

No one is going to fall for something that stupid.

You need to paint pupils directly on your eyelids.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
No one is going to fall for something that stupid.

You need to paint pupils directly on your eyelids.

Tattooing is better, if it goes for more than a day he might get stuck without his paints.
If you do get chosen you can always Tweet about what's happening "Surprise surprise the defendent is black LOL #juryduty #guilty" or if he isn't black "They've got the wrong guy! #innocent #whitepower!" That'll get you kicked off for sure, might also go to jail for a bit though.

Not entirely sure why you wouldn't wanna do it, it'll be interesting and then you can go all 12 Angry Men during deliberation. Also, remember this?

Last edited by Calibos at Mar 28, 2012,
upsides: Jury Duty = less of a waste of time then sitting in the pit posting threads about avoiding it

As for whether Juries are a good idea, I think yes, in general a wider opinion base is always a good thing => 12 jury + 1 judge > 1 judge
It also removes some systematic bias that may be present if only judges made the decisions. Judges by and large come from a very very small subsection of society (they were able to afford to train to be a barrister) so tend to have certain biases.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i searchbar-ed it and there were several already made, but...

so i've got jury duty coming up in about 2 weeks. it's for a petit jury and i've sort of resigned myself to going since i have nothing else to do.

if i wanted to actually not be chosen/kicked out, what should i do? any upsides to jury duty? do i get free lunch or something?

Suck it up and do your civic duty. You may not get called (depending on juror number) and if you do they usually call a group of 100 and pick 12 out of that, so your chances of actually serving on a jury are small anyway.

If you do try to get out of it, don't brag about it on your facebook or the radio:
Woman fakes PTSD to avoid jury duty and judge heard her bragging about it on a radio show and:
Susan Cole now faces felony charges of first-degree perjury and attempt to influence a public servant, reports the Daily News. Yep, it's illegal to mislead a judge into dismissing you from jury duty.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/23/tagblogsfindlawcom2012-legallyweird-idUS129523329920120323
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Mar 28, 2012,
If its murder or rape or something, tell them you are strongly opposed to the death penalty.

If its a minor traffic violation or something, tell them you support the death penalty.

Either way, dress up as Chewbacca. That'll get you home ASAP
OH HELL YES METALCORE
I really don't understand this.

From what I've seen, people are generally for trial by jury. Yet when they get called up for jury duty, nobody wants to do it.

Just get on with it.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Don't be a knob. Man up and do it.
Quote by Zoot Allures
The world is not split into black and white absolutes and there is a lot more to this than 'goodies' and 'baddies'.
Around here they just pay you a certain amount for travel burden if you live far enough away. Your place of work has to pay you your daily wage while you serve though.
Steam /PSN/Most Accounts - rjdusa
SCII: rjdusa :351
i forgot to inb4 people telling me it's my civic duty...

if it turns out to be an uninteresting case or something, i don't really want to be there. i did say in the OP that i don't have anything better to do, though.

chances are i won't make it past selection anyway. i'm highly opinionated and will likely have some bias in most cases.
Do you know anyone with a law degree?

Preferably friends or family?

They don't want a jury to have a de-facto leader, which can often happen if it's made known that someone might know more about law than other jurors.

Mention that and it may help.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Ask alot of questions while there, sometimes that can get you out.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Quote by jakesmellspoo

if it turns out to be an uninteresting case or something, i don't really want to be there.

Tough?
Quote by Zoot Allures
The world is not split into black and white absolutes and there is a lot more to this than 'goodies' and 'baddies'.
Wait wait, so you can't just opt out of jury duty? So America still endorses forced labour? Really?

Oh dear.
Quote by Todd Hart
Wait wait, so you can't just opt out of jury duty? So America still endorses forced labour? Really?

Oh dear.

If we weren't forced into jury duty then there wouldn't be any jurors. You underestimate American laziness.

Also it's kind of necessary to keep it impartial. If the jury process was voluntary then people with a vested interest in the outcome could chase down cases and volunteer, then steer the outcome one way or another.
Quote by Seref
If we weren't forced into jury duty then there wouldn't be any jurors. You underestimate American laziness.

Also it's kind of necessary to keep it impartial. If the jury process was voluntary then people with a vested interest in the outcome could chase down cases and volunteer, then steer the outcome one way or another.

I don't think random allocation of jury placement should change, I just think you should be able to say no. I mean public juries are already a stupid idea - frankly I can't think of many things more ridiculous than letting a group of people with no idea about how useless eyewitness testimony is or how evidence actually works have any say in a person's future - but saying people have to do it is just ridiculous. What happens if you don't go?
Quote by Todd Hart
I don't think random allocation of jury placement should change, I just think you should be able to say no. I mean public juries are already a stupid idea - frankly I can't think of many things more ridiculous than letting a group of people with no idea about how useless eyewitness testimony is or how evidence actually works have any say in a person's future - but saying people have to do it is just ridiculous. What happens if you don't go?

$500 fine or something.

the biggest problem i think that comes out of compulsory jury service is the people who don't want to be there. they're much more likely to make a decision based on whatever gets them home faster and ends the case.
Quote by Todd Hart
What happens if you don't go?

In my state, A warrant will be issued for your arrest and you can serve up to 3 days in jail. (srs)

In 2003, Massachusetts fined nearly 48,000 people $2000 each for missing jury duty,

Los Angeles County has fined residents who failed to serve jury duty a total of over $940,000.

New York County fined 1,443 jury dodgers in Manhattan $250 each.

In Phoenix, Arizona, and a sheriff's deputy just might show up at your door.

In many jurisdictions, bench warrants are issued for those failing to appear, which could lead to arrests during routine traffic stops.

And as shown in my last post, if it's discovered that you lied to get out of jury duty (unlikely, I know) you will be arrested for that as well.

Just suck it up.
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Mar 28, 2012,
Quote by jakesmellspoo
$500 fine or something.

the biggest problem i think that comes out of compulsory jury service is the people who don't want to be there. they're much more likely to make a decision based on whatever gets them home faster and ends the case.

Quote by jugglingfreak
A warrant will be issued for your arrest. (srs)

:|

This is why America needs to be bathed in nuclear hellfire and just started again from scratch.

'Hey you, forced labour awaits! Do it or you're a criminal.'
Quote by Todd Hart

This is why America needs to be bathed in nuclear hellfire and just started again from scratch.

Quote by Todd Hart

'Hey you, forced labour awaits! Do it or you're a criminal.'

Well, It has it's problems but I'd rather have my fate decided by citizens than by people who have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo in the judicial system.
Quote by Todd Hart

being able to say no means that it's a voluntary system.

And only people with an interest in something volunteer for it. Meaning you'd get the extremes rather than a normal cross section of society.

Public juries protect (somewhat) against bias. For example, the legal profession in the UK is generally conservative and if it was purely down to the Judges you'd most likely end up with a conservative spin on decisions even where the rest of society is generally progressive.

Spreading power help prevent abuse by a single person.

It also means that the law has to be accessible to the lay person. Judges have to direct juries as to the validity of evidence etc and have to explain principles in a way that is understandable by the common people. With a closed system, the law would become (even more of) a closed community with only lawyers being able to understand the laws of the land that still apply to anyone.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by EyeForgot
Either way, dress up as Chewbacca. That'll get you home ASAP

Are you suggesting a Chewbacca defense?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
being able to say no means that it's a voluntary system.

And only people with an interest in something volunteer for it. Meaning you'd get the extremes rather than a normal cross section of society.

Public juries protect (somewhat) against bias. For example, the legal profession in the UK is generally conservative and if it was purely down to the Judges you'd most likely end up with a conservative spin on decisions even where the rest of society is generally progressive.

Spreading power help prevent abuse by a single person.

It also means that the law has to be accessible to the lay person. Judges have to direct juries as to the validity of evidence etc and have to explain principles in a way that is understandable by the common people. With a closed system, the law would become (even more of) a closed community with only lawyers being able to understand the laws of the land that still apply to anyone.

Well spoken man.... That is what I was attempting to say but much more eloquently put, sir..
Page 1 of 2