I am taking a couple weeks rest from all that metal I've been playing and learning classical pieces. Some of them require hard hybrid picking passages (paganini's work). I almost never use hybrid picking while playing or composing, so should I even bother to practice those hybrid picking parts?
Well that's up to you. As you said, you never use it otherwise so you certainly can manage without it. If i say like this on the other hand, i never used hybrid picking in any things i played/wrote until i learned it. Then i started using it heavily for string skipping legato passages and other stuff. The more you know = the better.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
The more you know = the better.

That's only partly true. I've tried several times to learn sweep picking but I've always stopped very quickly, because I rarely play or listen to music where sweep picking is used. Which is why I'm probably never going to learn it, because it's tough and takes time and I'm not going to use it much.
I listen to a lot of different metal bands and whatnot where hybrid picking is Never used... And still I use hybrid picking for eventual clean passages. It could definitely be a good thing to learn. After all, any weapon you have in your arsenal is going to be useful depending on the situation.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
On the one hand, hybrid picking is sort of a gimmicky technique—you can generally achieve the same stuff with normal picking. On the other hand, it's pretty cool to watch and you can impress your friends with it. I guess you just have to decide if the perks make it worth your time to learn.
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.
im pretty sure that when you learn hybrid picking, you are going to use it in things you learn to play or in things you are going to write.
-Ernie Ball Music Man JP6
-Ibanez UV777
-Fender Lonestar Deluxe
-Ibanez GRG 270b
-Yamaha F350
-Ibanez AE105TY

-Bugera 6262 head
-Bugera 212 cab
-Marshall Valvestate 8040

-Line 6 pod x3 live
-Line 6 guitarport
-Vox Ice 9 Overdrive
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree. You dont use it now because you dont know it. If you did know it, perhaps youd find applications for it or perhaps the style would grow on you. If you dont want to learn it , dont...it's not really fun if youre forcing yourself through things for the sake of it. It's good to keep your options open though and recognize when certain things could open up entirely new facets of your playing
Even if you're not going to use that alot, at least learn the basic techniques. It's always another trick in your arsenal, and you can use it for jamming.
Quote by Soldier Poet
That's only partly true. I've tried several times to learn sweep picking but I've always stopped very quickly, because I rarely play or listen to music where sweep picking is used. Which is why I'm probably never going to learn it, because it's tough and takes time and I'm not going to use it much.

A technique is only as limited in application as you make it; you assume that you're never going to use sweeping because to you it's just for simple triad arpeggios. For me, it gets used all the time and not just for arpeggio based ideas and, to be honest, almost never for just triads.

If you learn something well enough you'll start to use it in places where all you want is that sound without thinking about it but if you don't learn it you'll never be able to get that sound, which is the worse option out of the two?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Prioritize, have a list of things you want to learn, according to your own goals, immediate interest in it is indeed a perfectly valid criteria, sucking at it and needing it is another.. if you dont have a use for it right now and you could be learning other things that interest you.. then by all means go ahead and do it.. but you should still leave it on that list of things i DO NOT KNOW and learn it someday..

The more you know, the more power to you
Last edited by Slashiepie at Mar 29, 2012,
Quote by Dynamight
On the one hand, hybrid picking is sort of a gimmicky technique—you can generally achieve the same stuff with normal picking. On the other hand, it's pretty cool to watch and you can impress your friends with it. I guess you just have to decide if the perks make it worth your time to learn.

That's absolutely false, there are plenty of lines where hybrid picking is the only real option, and it's not a particularly showy technique at all.

TS, hybrid picking is incredibly useful, get learning it. Arpeggio sequences, "finger picking" style, string skipping... all much, much easier with hybrid picking than with a pick. Basically any time you ascend strings hybrid picking is an excellent way to do that, especially if there's complex jumps.
I'm not going to do exercises for hybrid picking, like I was doing for alternate and sweep picking, I'm just going to practice it through paganini's caprices and other pieces that I'm working on. You are right: I haven't been using it because I didn't know it
I used it without knowing. I wrote a few acoustic pieces where I use my middle finger to pick the high E or B string while I pick other strings. For me, it's very useful in either string skipping or playing a note on (for example) the D string while also plucking the open high E. It sure makes some of my acoustic passages easier.
I'm not going to do exercises for hybrid picking, like I was doing for alternate and sweep picking, I'm just going to practice it through paganini's caprices and other pieces that I'm working on. You are right: I haven't been using it because I didn't know it

Btw, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHBELKGTGIE&feature=player_embedded - I did a lesson on how best to pick those arpeggios, I think that's the way almost everyone approaches that line.